What does a Senior Building Engineer do?
Building engineers are responsible for administering and repairing structures and buildings including apartments, workplaces, or healthcare facilities. A burnt-out light bulb, leaky roof, or dead air conditioner is their specialty, and they are responsible for all physical aspects of a building. They have working knowledge of maintenance and repair, and abilities to perform minor repairs in heating, cooling, ventilation equipment, and electrical features including a wall outlet.
Building engineers often work closely with managers to determine the physical needs of buildings. They follow regular inspection schedules for equipment including elevators, fire extinguishers, and smoke detectors to comply with local codes. They ensure the buildings they maintain meet the local, state, and federal health and disability codes. They often manage the renovation of a vacant space including an office or apartment and may perform the renovation themselves. Building engineers need a minimum high school diploma or equivalency and some practical experience through on-the-job training or prior employment in building related fields including home renovation.
- Assist in operations and maintenance issues, troubleshooting and problem solving as required.
- Perform some build maintenance and electrical work as necessary.
- May assist in solicitation and acquisition of new management contracts.
- Mentor and coach team members to further develop competencies.
- Assist in testing and repair of fire and safety equipment.
- Lead/attend project kick-off workshops to ensure work plans are in place to allocate proper resourcing, quality execution and financial targets are met.
- Perform preventive and corrective maintenance on all HVAC equipment and other related machinery.
- Plan and monitor appropriate staffing levels and utilization of labor, including overtime.
- Direct contract negotiations with clients and consultants, review and approve fee proposals.
- Keep accurate operational logs of equipment in multiple builds.
- The group provide services for all phases of a project's life cycle, from programming and planning to detailed design, construction, and operation.
- Manage the build operational accounts and assists in development of operating and capital budgets.
- Work closely with the local and regional leaders along with the national sector leadership to implement a full strategic plan.
- Responsible for the overall execution and delivery of projects
- Work collaboratively with regional and office leadership to achieve effective staffing which support the needs of clients and projects as well as appropriately balances the firm's resources.
- Act as an internal and external ambassador for the firm.
- Participate in meetings and on committees and represent the department and hospital in community outreach efforts as required, and service improvement teams.
- Bachelor's or Graduate's Degree in business, electrical engineering, computer science, engineering or information technology or equivalent experience.
- A natural collaborator and problem solver with demonstrated sound work ethic.
- Solid time management and prioritization skills while multitasking.
- Fluency in building procedures including roofs, piping, ventilation, heaters, and condensers.
- Comfortable running backup and recovery and operating systems.
- Prior consulting experience.
- Will confidently deploy critical thinking skills across all departments to finish tasks and projects.
- Fluent in applicable software and systems.
Senior Building Engineer Salaries
Average Base Pay
Senior Building Engineer Career Path
Learn how to become a Senior Building Engineer, what skills and education you need to succeed, and what level of pay to expect at each step on your career path.
Years of Experience Distribution
Senior Building Engineer Insights
“Great patience and fun to work and be around.”
“Good hours and pay.”
“this job was a decent pay and had great hours”
“Stable place to work and live”
“salary may not be the best based on inflation but it is at par with other consulting companies.”
“Low salary compared to similar organisation for same roles and Responsibilities.”
“Everyone is amazing to work with and is always looking to collaborate.”
“Ubisoft is a nice place to meet cool people and work on awesome projects.”
Senior Building Engineer Interviews
Frequently asked questions about the role and responsibilities of a Senior Building Engineer
When working as a Senior Building Engineer, the most common skills you will need to perform your job and for career success are Gerrit, Scripting Languages, Customizing, GIT and Pipeline.
- Project Engineer
- Production Engineer
- Process Engineer
The most common qualifications to become a Senior Building Engineer is a minimum of a Bachelor's Degree and an average of 0 - 1 of experience not including years spent in education and/or training.