What does a Bioinformatics Analyst do?
Bioinformatics scientists use technology and computer science to study and find biological solutions. They collaborate closely with various scientists including microbiologists, plant biologists, or computer scientists and identify opportunities for accelerating product development. They use genetic information databases to find ways to identify and treat issues including human, animal, and plant disease. They translate data into competitive knowledge by providing relevant and innovative bioinformatics analysis that meets their criteria.
Bioinformatics scientists identify and develop software tools for efficient data integration, mine biological data, and collaborate closely with various applicable disciplines. They build innovative frameworks for data integration and automated data mining and develop reusable libraries and references. They implement best coding practices to continually improve a company's competition or capabilities and workflows and apply computational tools to transform genomics data. Bioinformatics scientists need a master's degree in genomics, bioinformatics, computational biology, or related fields.
- Generate, annotate, gather or analyze data and prepare for further analysis, or research.
- Monitor sequencing data quality and work with lab team to address deviations.
- Serve as a functional expert in pre-sales and customer engage activities providing the necessary technical support in identifying and selecting the best solution that fulfills the customer needs.
- Analysis of problems to develop integrated solutions involving computer hardware and software.
- Contribute to development and evaluation of goals and objectives.
- Provide bioinformatic support to R&D teams in a rapidly shifting discovery environment, including the development of new analytical methods and the effective presentation of analysis and results to diverse audiences.
- Prepare written reports and presentations for internal use as well as presentations at conferences.
- Use logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Consult during experimental design and working closely with experimental researchers to generate/provide analysis reports, project reports and perform requested custom analysis to ensure that project goals are met within specified timelines.
- Perform in depth investigations to understand how technical factors (e.g. the algorithms used) affect performance for different type of genomic alteration.
- Develop dashboards and interactive tools to enable data sharing across multi-disciplinary teams.
- Bachelor's Degree or higher in computer science, engineering, or mathematics.
- Advanced proficiency with R language, Python, Perl, and other common programming languages.
- Comfortable with pipeline frameworks.
- In-depth understanding of genotyping processes.
- Familiarity with Linux and Unix systems.
- Able to conduct tasks involving datasets.
- Demonstrated attention to detail.
Bioinformatics Analyst Salaries near Singapore
There are no current reports for Bioinformatics Analyst salaries. You can add additional job titles in your job preferences to see related salary information.
Bioinformatics Analyst Career Path
Learn how to become a Bioinformatics Analyst, what skills and education you need to succeed, and what level of pay to expect at each step on your career path.
Years of Experience Distribution
Bioinformatics Analyst Insights
“I enjoyed all our interactions and they were so easy and fun to work with.”
“Not willing to negotiate salary & little to no opportunity for bonuses or career growth.”
“Good good good good good”
“best place to start: excellent Atlas Biomed”
“Good innovative solutions and all the best”
“Nice place to work and make friends”
“I was able to work with some of the best people I have ever met.”
“up and good organisation.”
Bioinformatics Analyst Interviews
Frequently asked questions about the role and responsibilities of a Bioinformatics Analyst
- Bioinformatics Analyst
- BioInformatics Engineer
- Program Manager
- Project Manager