What does a Photographer do?
A photographer works closely with clients to capture photos of people, places and things through the use of creativity and technical abilities in photographic equipment and photo manipulation software. To ensure that desired results are obtained, photographers have to communicate effectively with clients regarding expectations to meet standards and deadlines of projects. Other duties include recommending creative ideas and solutions to achieve desired results and maintaining a professional image.
Although a high school diploma or equivalent is the minimum educational requirements to be a photographer, industry leaders express a preference for associate's or bachelor's degree holders. Good candidates often possess natural artistic flair backed by detailed knowledge and understanding of photography art and lighting science. Excellent communication skills are also required as photographers typically interact with clients to understand their desired outcomes. Most photographers are required to stand for long hours at a time and the job often demands flexibility to travel to locations for shoots.
- Take professional pictures in a studio or on location
- Work closely with clients and colleagues to produce high-quality photographic images
- Use different techniques to enhance the photographs as required
- Use photo manipulation software such as Adobe Suite to get desired results
- Recommend creative ideas to exceed expectations of goals and objectives
- Use artistic knowledge to enhance and compose photographs
- Review sets of photographs and select the best results
- Operate various photographic equipment such as single lens reflex cameras and film or digital cameras and lighting
- Associate's or bachelor's degree in photography art preferred
- Proven experience as a photographer in a competitive industry
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Detailed knowledge of photography art and lighting
- Strong creative presence and artistic flair
- Customer focus with a desire to over deliver on quality
- Able to follow instructions clearly to achieve desired results
- Able to stand and move around for long periods at a time
- Flexible to travel to locations as required of the job
Photographer Salaries near Singapore
Average Base Pay
Photographer Career Path
Learn how to become a Photographer, what skills and education you need to succeed, and what level of pay to expect at each step on your career path.
Years of Experience Distribution
“There is excellent training prior to beginning as a Sweet Me photographer and continued education is ongoing.”
“good if your a student and don’t need a “reliable” job or good pay.”
“This is such a fun place to work and coworkers are fun to help teach photography skills.”
“It was a good organisation but they went greedy and gave the ownership to another organisation.”
“Good Boost gave me the opportunity to start my career in animation and media and to grow as a professional.”
“I was able to set my own schedule and pay was reasonable for job demands.”
“It is a good "first job" with decent salary but only if you give 100% into work.”
“This is a good hit for a high school student or maybe a college student looking for a summer job.”
Frequently asked questions about the role and responsibilities of photographers
Photographers use creativity and communication to capture, edit, and produce images for different industries, like advertising, weddings, and family photos. They have knowledge of lighting, photography techniques, art, and editing software. In addition, they communicate closely with clients to fulfill an artistic vision.
Yes, photography can be a very fulfilling career for creative individuals. The best part about working as a photographer is that this career provides opportunities to work at a variety of venues including weddings and special events, and in industries such as art, advertising, fashion, and news. Photographers can choose to work in a studio or on location, and photo editing can be done at home.
The average salary for a photographer in the U.S. is $2,800 a year, which varies by industry and experience level. While some photographers work for a group or a certain company, some photographers choose to go the freelance route to have more control over pay rates and clientele.
There are a few difficult aspects of the work. When considering becoming a photographer, keep in mind that photography can be physically demanding and require long hours on your feet. Many professionals work nights and weekends and may need to devote more time to editing when on tight deadlines.