What does a Research Fellow/Research Fellow do?
Research fellows perform academic research at an educational institution, often while working towards earning an advanced degree. Their work is usually supported for a specified period of time by a grant, endowment, or other dedicated source of funding. They are often researching innovative and cutting-edge technologies or concepts, or investigating complex challenges where the findings could have significant consequences.
Research fellows typically have a doctorate degree in their technical field of expertise, although some institutions also have predoctoral research fellow programs. They generally have already had peer-reviewed research published in academic journals. They are often expected to pursue or compete for additional research grants. Advanced research skills are required, along with excellent writing skills. Research fellows must be detail oriented with strong project management abilities.
- Provide ongoing monitoring and clinical support to clinical fellows.
- Analyze data independently, and prepare figures, grants, abstracts and manuscripts with supervision.
- Provide research updates, summarize data for grant progress reports.
- Maintain a strong record of scholarly publication and presentations at scientific conferences and public meetings.
- Work collaboratively with product teams within research labs.
- Apply data science approaches to clinical data, especially with regards to data fusion methods, to facilitate safety signal detection and evaluation.
- Assist with laboratory upkeep, maintenance of equipment, and reagents.
- Follow all rules and regulations for proper/ethical/safe laboratory practice set by regulatory, institutional and departmental standards and protocols. follow and enforce proper laboratory procedures to ensure optimal work environment for laboratory and to avoid contamination.
- Assist in writing policies and procedures as needed and requested by supervisor.
- Present and actively participate in laboratory meetings and journal clubs.
- Submit original data from research projects to national and international meetings and peer reviewed journals.
- Participate in developmental activities as requested to aid in the acquisition of philanthropic support for the research mission of institute.
- Bachelor's or Graduate's Degree in a relevant subject and work experience in an accredited field.
- Attention to detail and professionalism.
- Demonstrated dedication to the studying and furthering of hypotheses.
- Fluency in statistics, machine learning, and datasets.
- Editing and compilation skills.
- Leadership and professionalism during problem solving exercises.
- Comfortable with experimental design where necessary.
- Can harness learning and compile findings using writing protocols where necessary to report findings.
Research Fellow/Research Fellow Salaries
Average Base Pay
Research Fellow/Research Fellow Career Path
Learn how to become a Research Fellow/Research Fellow, what skills and education you need to succeed, and what level of pay to expect at each step on your career path.
Average Years of Experience
Research Fellow/Research Fellow Insights
“It was easy to balance with course load and a great opportunity to develop close relationships with professors.”
“Almost everyone I have worked with and met have been nothing but kind and helpful.”
“The entire Chemistry department is so helpful and can be approached to any faculty whenever needed.”
“Some really good people who are committed to their work and work with little resources.”
“The insurance offered isn't the best and is not as good as what postdocs at JHMI receive.”
“JPL is a nice place to work because you can explore your ability and develop your career.”
“You meet great people and the support system is out of this world amazing every step of the way.”
“My immediate advisor was not great but there were many others who were more than helpful”
Research Fellow/Research Fellow Interviews
Frequently asked questions about the role and responsibilities of a Research Fellow/Research Fellow
- Research Specialist
- Research Technician
- Student Researcher