Apple Product Design Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.sg

Apple Product Design Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Apple

3.5

Product Design Engineer Interview

Interview

I applied this job through their website without any internal refferal. Two weeks after my application, I got a phone interview request. During the interview, the interviewer asked about my education and internship background first. Then get into more details in technical questions such as beam theory and general stress-strain curve questions.

Interview Questions

• Why would you like to join Apple   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Apple

Product Design Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Apple in September 2020.

Interview

Contacted via LinkedIn by recruiter, had two technical phone interviews with members of the team. Very communicative and friendly throughout the entire process. Feedback was provided very quickly after each step.

Interview Questions

• How can you stiffen a PCB   1 Answer
    • Name a project you helped troubleshoot, and name an improvement you would make if you had to do it again   Answer Question
    • Standard cantilever beam question posted on Glassdoor   Answer Question
    • Standard rock in boat question posted on Glassdoor   Answer Question
    • Basic stress strain curve questions   Answer Question

Product Design Engineer Interview

Interview

- Basic mechanics and heat transfer questions. Look into Al and Steel properties and how to differentiate them.
    - Take 2+ months for the whole process.
    - If you are in a boat with a boulder and you drop that boulder into the lake how does the water level before and after you drop the boulder in the lake compare?

Interview Questions

• Choose between different cross-sections of beams for strength requirements.   1 Answer

Product Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Lafayette, IN (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Apple (West Lafayette, IN (US)) in June 2020.

Interview

Received phone screening through LinkedIn invitation. I exchanged a few emails with the recruiters and figure out a time to chat. After passing the phone screening, the recruiter explained more regarding the role and how the interview process works.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between Young's Modulus and stress and strain ratio?   2 Answers

Product Design Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Apple.

Interview

Got a phone interview with the HR. Then a couple from the design teams. Was given a one week design challenge on battery door mechanism. About to have another round of interviews. Excited

Interview Questions

• Basic stuff from stress-strain curve   1 Answer

Product Design Engineer Interview

Interview

Absolutely entirely technical questions about springs. Wouldn't let up even when I obviously got a question wrong, just kept asking about springs. Eventually asked to see if I got one of the questions right at the end of the interview, just got hit with "it's all online."

Interview Questions

• What are the factors that influence a spring constant (k)?   3 Answers

Product Design Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Apple.

Interview

15 minute phone call with recruiter for basic chat about resume, relocation and scheduling phone interview with manager. Second interview with product design manager where was asked questions on mechanical, thermal and physical principles.

Interview Questions

• How do you reduce deflection of a cantilever beam?   1 Answer
    • If a solid rod and a hollow bar is rolling down a hill having the same mass, which will reach first?   1 Answer

Product Design Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Apple.

Interview

Challenging and drawn out interview process. Started with initial phone screen with recruiter followed by 3 technical phone interviews. Was given a design challenge and presented to PD team at Apple. Following presentation, 8 interviews 1:1 with engineers on the team. Each with a challenge question/topic.

Interview Questions

• Compare different types of steels/other materials for tensile strength and stiffness.   1 Answer

Product Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Apple (Austin, TX (US)).

Interview

Apple staff came to the university and I was selected to have an interview on the same day. The interview was a one-on-one with the hiring manager. The interview consisted of three questions followed by my own questions.

Interview Questions

• FBD of three ropes and a weight: find the tension in all three ropes.   3 Answers
    • Find the force exerted at the end of a cantilever beam knowing the forces and distance.   1 Answer
    • Label the stress-strain diagram and then draw how a metal would behave if a load was applied and then removed.   1 Answer

Product Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Apple (Boston, MA (US)) in February 2020.

Interview

In person interview on campus after meeting during career fair. In person was a basic technical screen and a more detailed technical phone interview afterwards. All contact was arranged through the recruiter

Interview Questions

• Normal mechanical intuition questions such as beam bending, stress/strain, how locking pliers work etc.   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.