Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Interview Questions | Glassdoor.sg

Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Interview Questions

Interviews at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation

Grants Position Interview

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.

Interview

So many zoom interviews and all for a contracts role. This is the Gates Foundation, right? Why soooo many contracts positions.. can you commit to hiring permanent staff? It’s not like your broke, c’mon. If you want to go through a whole lot of hoops for a temp job when your well through the mid point of your career go for it. Otherwise go somewhere that values you. I won’t apply here again.

Interview Questions

• Tell us how your experience and values align with our mission?   Answer Question

Senior Technical Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation in August 2020.

Interview

I found the position on LinkedIn, applied to it and sent an inmail to the HR director who posted the position. A couple of weeks later the HR director reached out to me through inmail without even reading my previous message telling me that he came across my profile on LinkedIn and he thinks I am a good fit (I had the same job responsibilities in my current role but on a larger scale and had many years of experience in the same field)
    I replied to him, he responded a week or so later asking to schedule a zoom interview.

The zoom interview was so unprofessional. I was dressed business casual for the interview while he showed up wearing a flea t-shirt and baseball hat. He had some family moving in his background all the time. He wasn't really concentrating with the discussion. His questions weren't technical of course because he was just an HR guy, but you can't tell the direction of the questions. It felt like he is just asking random questions. As I was out of the state, he told me that they have a relocation package and offered to give more details but we were running out of time so I told him I have some questions that I think it will be better to invest the time left on them.
    He concluded the interview by telling me that he will talk with the hiring manager and get back to me in 4 days. 18 days later I sent him a follow-up email to see how the discussions with the hiring manager went.
    He replied a week later telling me that they can't afford the relocation cost and decided to move forward with a local candidate. I told him I wasn't even looking for a relocation reimbursement and reminded him that I told him so during the interview but, of course, he never responded.
    Obviously, this wasn't the real reason! And obviously it wasn't a technical reason.. I think their reason is something they can't tell me about. My guessing is that it was something about favoritism or special connections.

Bottom line: unprofessional, unpunctual and nontransparent. The name is big but it is definitely misleading.

Program Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (Seattle, WA (US)) in June 2020.

Interview

5 zoom interviews with various members of the team. Many of the questions were redundant. Overall fairly straight forward. Unfortunately, tend to go with internal hires or folx in administrative roles.

Program Officer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.

Interview

I have applied for the advertised position online and have received an invitation for a phone interview a few weeks afterwards. I would have described the phone interview with the hiring manager as fairly ordinary would it not be for an inappropriate incident accompanying the interview that was handled unprofessionally. The e-invitation for the interview contained a file with a list of all the other current candidates for this position including their private information and their complete resumes. For a foundation whose work by default entails generating/accumulating highly sensitive information, such a misstep is not acceptable. Thinking that the e-mail is just a call invitation , I did not notice the file until a few minutes before the actual interview. After some time into the interview (which I thought went well) I mentioned to the senior program manager that I have received the candidates file and expressed my concern about the foundation sharing this with interviewees. My concern was met with an improvised excuse (not an apology) at which point the interview abruptly ended. Months later I did not receive any follow up communication from the foundation either regarding the incident nor my application. While mistakes happen, it is how mistakes are handled that matters and that defines an organization.

Interview Questions

• - Tell me about your path and career aspirations
      - How would you use the resources available at the foundation to achieve x,y,z?
      - What are some of the most pressing yet least addressed issues from your point of view?
      - How would you identify new exciting technical solutions and initiate new project directions?   Answer Question

Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Response

20 Apr 2020 – Talent Acquisition Senior Leader

Thank you for providing this feedback. May I ask that you send an email to HR @ gates foundation . org referencing this review? I would like to talk with you further.

Thank you again for the candid feedback.

Program Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (Seattle, WA (US)) in May 2020.

Interview

Great experience a little long but was a learning experience. Initially, I thought that it would be a quick process but we had back to back interviews and they took over 4 months. I was waiting for feedback for a long time.

Interview Questions

• What made you want to work with the foundation   1 Answer

Summer Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation in February 2020.

Interview

There were two parts to the interviewing process. First was an initial phone interview with a representative currently working for the foundation where they gauged your aptitude for global health work and which teams you would best be suited for. Once passing that, you moved on to a 1:1 interview with the heads of each of the teams they recommended you for. It is the team heads that ultimately offer you a position. I definitely recommend coming prepared with relevant and thoughtful questions since your passion for the subject will set you apart in a pool where everyone has the same education.

Senior HR-Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (New York, NY (US)) in February 2020.

Interview

Screen with retained search person a week or two later video interview with senior HR leader. Interviewer was 10 minutes late and then told me we had to rush since she didn’t have a lot of time. I was thinking of hanging up the video at that point. This was a big job and it was easy to see respect was going to be an issue.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about the last 25 years of your life in 10 minutes because I don’t have time for you.......she seemed distracted but asked questions etc. Then abruptly told me I had taken too long   1 Answer

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (Seattle, WA (US)).

Interview

This was a truly bizarre interview. Hiring manager was very responsive but never proved any updates and the timeline provided was off by months. I doubt I’ll ever receive a rejection. Interviewed in August and still no update.

Senior Program Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (Seattle, WA (US)) in September 2019.

Interview

Overall, shocking experience. While some absolutely wonderful people are currently working at BMGF, unfortunately, the place is filled with impressive CVs that match highly competitive, aggressive and completely toxic individuals. Such a huge disappointment. Lots of potential if this organization was more selective and hired people who are highly accomplished AND balanced souls.

Interview Questions

• The onsite interview with several people was akin to being interrogated; hard-hitting, hostile and one-sided; it was not a 'conversation.'   Answer Question

Program Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (Seattle, WA (US)) in September 2019.

Interview

Spoke with HR originally for a different position, but told them that a programmatic role would be a better fit. He agreed, and had me apply pushing me past the initial phone screening to a 3 round interview which took around 2 hours over skype. In the end, I was their second choice, and their first choice accepted the offer. They wanted me to answer how I specifically kept myself organized, offering more detailed examples than what I had given. The second interview asked VERY obtuse questions that threw me off initially. Just be creative and work through the questions!

Interview Questions

• Q: Working at Gates, there are many hats to wear. What are your favorite hats?   1 Answer
    • What is your favorite management style?   Answer Question
    • What is your most, and least favorite role to play - leader or team member?   2 Answers
    • What are your favorite tools to use?   Answer Question
    • How do you keep yourself organized?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a conflict you had at work and how you dealt with it?   Answer Question
    • How do you deal with a situation in which you're dealt with more than you can handle?   Answer Question
    • What is your process in dealing with a problem you're faced with?   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.