Cover image for Citadel

Add an Interview

Interview Question

Quantitative Researcher Interview

Citadel

Given log X ~ N(0,1). Compute the expectation of X.

Interview Answers

12 Answers

exp(mu + (sigma^2)/2) = exp(0+1/2) = exp(1/2)

mojo on

Expanding on the correct answers above: E[X] = E[exp(logX)], and logX is normally distributed. So: E[X} is the moment-generating-function (mgf) of a standard normal distribution, evaluated at 1. The mgf of a normal distribution with mean mu, SD sigma is exp(mu*t + (1/2) * sigma^2 * t^2), now set mu = 0, sigma = 1, t = 1 to get exp(1/2).

CG on

Complete the square in the integral

interviewee on

Suppose the density function of Y is P(y) and the one for X is F(x), it obeys that P(y)*dy = F(x)*dx; then the expectation of X is E(x) = Integral( x*F(x)*dx ) = Integral( Exp(y) * P(y) * dy ); if you plug the gaussian function and standard deviation in, you will find E(x) = Integral( Exp(1/2) * P(y-1/2)*d(y-1/2) ) = Exp(1/2) So, mojo's ans is correct.

Anonymous on

I m not that sure, as I got E(x) = 4 I substituted log X = y e^y = X ;and e^2y = t and plz do not forget to change the integration limits

P(logX P(X

Marcus on

Sorry misread the problem. ignore.

Marcus on

X has a log-normal distribution, so yes the mean is exp(mu+sigma^2/2)=exp(1/2)

Anonymous on

Do they care if you explain the theory or not? I just looked at it, it's standard normal, therefore x=50%

LS on

Let Y = log(X), then X = exp(Y) = r(Y), if we call the pdf of X f(X), then E[X] = integral(Xf(X)dX). By variable transformation, f(x) = g(r^-1(X))r^-1(X))', plug this into E[X] = integral(Xf(X)dX), we get integral( f(y)dy ), which equals to 1

1 on

This is a basic probability question.

Exp[1/4]

Add Answers or Comments

To comment on this, Sign In or Sign Up.

Citadel Careers

Cover image for Citadel

Who we are Citadel is one of the world's leading alternative investment managers. In markets around the world, we work relentlessly to...More

• Career Paths