Google Interview Questions | Glassdoor.sg

Interviews at Google

12,132 Interview Reviews

3.3

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA (US)) in April 2014.

Interview

Direct onsite because I interviewed in the past and did well that time. From the time I sent my resume to interview day: 2 weeks. From interview day to offer over the phone: 2 weeks.

The syllabus for the interviews is very clear and simple:
    1) Dynamic Programming
    2) Super recursion (permutation, combination,...2^n, m^n, n!...etc. type of program. (NP hard, NP programs)
    3) Probability related programs
    4) Graphs: BFS/DFS are usually enough
    5) All basic data structures from Arrays/Lists to circular queues, BSTs, Hash tables, B-Trees, and Red-Black trees, and all basic algorithms like sorting, binary search, median,...
    6) Problem solving ability at a level similar to TopCoder Division 1, 250 points. If you can consistently solve these, then you are almost sure to get in with 2-weeks brush up.
    7) Review all old interview questions in Glassdoor to get a feel. If you can solve 95% of them at home (including coding them up quickly and testing them out in a debugger + editor setup), you are in good shape.
    8) Practice coding--write often and write a lot. If you can think of a solution, you should be able to code it easily...without much thought.
    9) Very good to have for design interview: distributed systems knowledge and practical experience.
    10) Good understanding of basic discrete math, computer architecture, basic math.
    11) Coursera courses and assignments give a lot of what you need to know.
    12) Note that all the above except the first 2 are useful in "real life" programming too!

Interview 1:
    Graph related question and super recursion

Interview 2:
    Design discussion involving a distributed system with writes/reads going on at different sites in parallel.

Interview 3:
    Array and Tree related questions

Interview 4:
    Designing a simple class to do something. Not hard, but not easy either. You need to know basic data structures very well to consider different designs and trade-offs.

Interview 5:
    Dynamic programming,
    Computer architecture and low level perf. enhancement question which requires knowledge of Trees, binary search, etc.

At the end, I wasn't tired and rather enjoyed the discussions. I think the key was long term preparation and time spent doing topcoder for several years (on and off as I enjoy solving the problems).

Conclusion: "It's not the best who win the race; it's the best prepared who win it."

Interview Questions

Negotiation

You can and should negotiate politely. You are in a stronger position if you have another offer, but even otherwise, you should ask for more of every type of payment!

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google in April 2015.

Interview

Phone interview:
    The Interviewer was late for 20 mins... Ask nothing on my resume.
    Tow questions:
    1) A string consists of ‘0’, ‘1’ and '?'. The question mark can be either '0' or '1'. Find all possible combinations for a string.
    2) Give you a text file, remove duplicated lines.
        Follow up: If the file is very large, general hash map takes too much spaces, come up with a better solution.

Software Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

I was asked to describe my previous experience. Then I was asked a data structures and algorithms question similar to a leetcode medium problem. Lastly I was asked if I had any questions about google.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Our interviews begin like most, with a 30-minute chat over the phone between the recruiter and candidate. The phone interview begins with the recruiter giving the candidate a brief outline of the company history, an overview of products and cultural environment, as well as the logistics of the interview process.

Interview Questions

• Q1. Describe the process you have for a programming task, from requirements to delivery.   Answer Question

Frontend Software Engineer Interview

Interview

This is a review for the first technical screen before the onsite. It was on a video call where we had a conversation about how to design around technical challenges. Then we moved on to a shared text editor were there was some coding.

Interview Questions

• Had an interview as to how I would render several book chapters once I got them from the API. It mainly had to do with promises and how to handle them.   1 Answer

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Pretty straightforward interview process overall. 15 min HR screen followed by a 4 interview super day at the headquarters in Mountain View, CA. Overall positive experience with the company. The timeline for the recruiting process was pre-set before I interviewed.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a difficult time when you worked in a group.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

The process is slow and doesn't necessarily involve meeting the team you might end up working with. Care isn't always taken that you'll work with the technologies you discuss. Their interviews are overly reliant on the ability to write implementations of algorithms under pressure.

Interview Questions

• Ugh, it's hard enough to come up with good interview questions. Stop ruining them for us.   1 Answer

Nana Interview

Interview

I have to write a review to use glassdoor, this new requirement is a waste of time if you have no review to write. This minimum word limit for a review is also a waste of time. These aren't genuine reviews if you obligate your members to do this.

Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google (New York, NY (US)).

Interview

The interview process was great and left me with a sense of pride and accomplishment, I truly believe I will get the job at google! I am very excited for the future.

Interview Questions

• They asked me my experience and how I felt about the company   Answer Question

Internal Auditor Interview

Interview

Out to get you vs. Making it enjoyable. Strange dynamic. Worse interview experience. I cut it short as I knew it wouldn’t be a match. One gentleman on the panel was courteous the other was borderline inappropriate

Interview Questions

• I don’t remember. Strange dynamic. Worse interview experience. I cut it short as I knew it wouldn’t be a match   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.