Google Interview Questions | Glassdoor.sg

11,697 Interview Reviews

3.3

1. Helpful (2079)

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA (US)) in April 2014.

Interview

Direct onsite because I interviewed in the past and did well that time. From the time I sent my resume to interview day: 2 weeks. From interview day to offer over the phone: 2 weeks.

The syllabus for the interviews is very clear and simple:
    1) Dynamic Programming
    2) Super recursion (permutation, combination,...2^n, m^n, n!...etc. type of program. (NP hard, NP programs)
    3) Probability related programs
    4) Graphs: BFS/DFS are usually enough
    5) All basic data structures from Arrays/Lists to circular queues, BSTs, Hash tables, B-Trees, and Red-Black trees, and all basic algorithms like sorting, binary search, median,...
    6) Problem solving ability at a level similar to TopCoder Division 1, 250 points. If you can consistently solve these, then you are almost sure to get in with 2-weeks brush up.
    7) Review all old interview questions in Glassdoor to get a feel. If you can solve 95% of them at home (including coding them up quickly and testing them out in a debugger + editor setup), you are in good shape.
    8) Practice coding--write often and write a lot. If you can think of a solution, you should be able to code it easily...without much thought.
    9) Very good to have for design interview: distributed systems knowledge and practical experience.
    10) Good understanding of basic discrete math, computer architecture, basic math.
    11) Coursera courses and assignments give a lot of what you need to know.
    12) Note that all the above except the first 2 are useful in "real life" programming too!

Interview 1:
    Graph related question and super recursion

Interview 2:
    Design discussion involving a distributed system with writes/reads going on at different sites in parallel.

Interview 3:
    Array and Tree related questions

Interview 4:
    Designing a simple class to do something. Not hard, but not easy either. You need to know basic data structures very well to consider different designs and trade-offs.

Interview 5:
    Dynamic programming,
    Computer architecture and low level perf. enhancement question which requires knowledge of Trees, binary search, etc.

At the end, I wasn't tired and rather enjoyed the discussions. I think the key was long term preparation and time spent doing topcoder for several years (on and off as I enjoy solving the problems).

Conclusion: "It's not the best who win the race; it's the best prepared who win it."

Interview Questions

Negotiation

You can and should negotiate politely. You are in a stronger position if you have another offer, but even otherwise, you should ask for more of every type of payment!

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google in April 2015.

Interview

Phone interview:
    The Interviewer was late for 20 mins... Ask nothing on my resume.
    Tow questions:
    1) A string consists of ‘0’, ‘1’ and '?'. The question mark can be either '0' or '1'. Find all possible combinations for a string.
    2) Give you a text file, remove duplicated lines.
        Follow up: If the file is very large, general hash map takes too much spaces, come up with a better solution.

Product Manager Interview

Interview

I wish, I had the following information when I walked into my phone screen, hopefully it will help someone out there.

Here is the format of my 1st phone screen with a PM (45 minutes long).

* Interviewer talks about his/her background (3~5 mins)
    * Two general questions - tell me about yourself and why do you want to work here? (5 ~ 10 mins)
    * Product questions - design and strategy (25~30 mins)
    * Questions for the interviewer (last 5 mins)

My interviewer asked me 3 product questions so you are looking at 10~15 minutes per question.

I was caught off guard when my interviewer cut me short while I was flushing out solutions for a product design.

My recommendation, ask your interviewer how much time you have for the question or roughly how many product questions they have in mind so that you are not caught off guard like me.

On average, if the interviewer expects you to take 15 minutes for a product design problem then you don't have a lot of time for each of the below steps. You probably want to focus most of your attention on pain points and design (5 mins each).

* Define the user personas
    * Define the pain points
    * Prioritize the pain points
    * Brain storm the solutions for the pain points
    * Come up with a rough design for the solution
    * Define success metrics for your solution

Product design is an iterative process, you will find better user personas, pain points and solutions as you go through the process. Be mindful about getting stuck in analysis paralysis and remember to touch on the key elements of the process.

Good luck, the process is not perfect, don't beat yourself up if you don't make it.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself, why do you want work here?   2 Answers

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA (US)

Application

The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Google (San Jose, CA (US)).

Interview

I never write any reviews for interviews. However I felt compelled to do so after speaking to a lady from my current job that had an almost similar experience. From initial application to interview it took about 3 months. I thought I would share my experience since hopefully Google reads this. The men that interviewed me where all of similar ethnicity/race. My first interviewer refused to shake my hand (pre-covid). After that I was mature enough to immediately know it was not going to go well. The next interviewers asked me question, which i responded to well, that were above the scope of the role. I could almost see they were frustrated by my responses whatever they may be. Honestly I really just wanted to get out and was thinking of excuses, but I stayed because I am an adult and was not going to immaturely walk out (although I was obviously being discriminated for either my race, sex, or who knows what else). There are probably a lot of groups where this crap happens, but am hopeful with a company this big that some sort of massive leadership changes occur. Right now I don’t ever want to apply again at Google and go through this. It’s a waste of everyone’s time. They should just put a sign up no X or Y and Z allowed inside so at least we all save ourselves some time.

Data Scientist Interview

Interview

Was painfully long and rigorous. A phone call, a coding challenge, a whiteboard session, and a culture fit. It was really just testing that you are a smart and capable engineer.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Recruiter contacted me through LinkedIn and a software engineer called me on my phone for an interview. He was polite and articulate. I couldn't answer the first question but he gave me a different question just in case I could answer the second one. Although I didn't have time to finish answering the second one. The interview process was smooth.

Interview Questions

• The phone screen was a dynamic programming question that was very unorthodox. I had never seen a problem like that before and it was some what difficult without ever going through that thought process.   1 Answer

STEP Intern Interview

Interview

They only gave me a few questions about strings and arrays. I didn't have much experience with CS, so they gave me very simple ones. Overall, it went very well.

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google (Los Angeles, CA (US)).

Interview

First it was two coding challenges using an online editor. After that, two phone interviews of 1 hour length each. Each call consisted of one coding problem of medium difficulty

Applications Engineer Interview

Interview

As a passive candidate, the interviewers treat you like you're the one that needs the job. Most of them don't even bother to introduce themselves and or talk about what they do. Feels very cold. No thanks.

Also, lack of diversity within the team.

Research Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

I was a fresh graduate. Had a phone interview with the director. He introduced the research work of their team, went through my resume, and let me explain some of my research work. Then he asked some algorithms in image processing and computer vision and some questions about C++ programming. It took about 45 minutes.

Interview Questions

• How to implement an efficient 2D median filter?   1 Answer
    • What is the usage of static in C++?   1 Answer

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.