Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Interview Questions | Glassdoor.sg

Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Interview Questions

Interviews at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

2.7

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.

Interview

Took a very long time for responses along the way. Very difficult to get in touch with people. Process lasted over 2 months. Overall would not recommend this company for its interview process.

Learning Architect Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.

Interview

I had a phone screening, followed by 2 face-to-face interviews (over video - it was during the pandemic), and then had to send in an editorial task. The process was pretty straightforward and HR was great to work with. I will say the process felt a bit slow at time, but I learned after starting that the company was going through some major changes during my interview process.

Interview Questions

• Why are you leaving teaching and making the jump to the publishing world?   Answer Question
    • What is your experience with technology like and how could you use that in this role?   Answer Question

Procurement Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (Orlando, FL (US)) in November 2020.

Interview

Long process but very formal, HR Representative always kept me informed the status of my application. The kindness showed by the interviewers impressed me deeply. It was a great experience for me !

Vice President Social Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (New York, NY (US)) in October 2020.

Interview

An HR recruiter reached out to me about the position and we had a really lovely chat. When I followed up about next steps, I never heard from him again. I've never been ghosted by a recruiter before. Very surprising.

Interview Questions

Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Response

16 Nov 2020 – Recruiter

Thank you for your interest in the VP of Social Media at HMH. We have received several applications for this role, which has caused a delay in our communication. We appreciate your feedback, so we can continue to improve on areas that impact the candidate experience. At HMH, our Talent Acquisition team strives to provide all candidates with a positive experience that reflects our core values. Your perspective is valuable as we continue to work with all candidates.

Content Role Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.

Interview

A recruiter reached out to me within a week of applying through their website. After an initial interview had another interview with in-house members. Two weeks in didn't hear anything so I contacted the recruiter who had scheduled the interview and NEVER got a response. Followed up three weeks later with another recruiter and NEVER heard back. It is incredible that an established company like this can ghost candidates as other candidates have mentioned. Especially when they don't know where candidates will end up and people are likely to remember this experience and the people who never got back to them. Being ghosted and not having any emails answered was really unprofessional and telling of their corporate culture.

Interview Questions

• General interview questions like tell me about yourself. Work style.   Answer Question

Director of Information Security Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (Boston, MA (US)).

Interview

Had a phone screen that went well and was told they would be moving forward to coordinate a call with the hiring manager. Received an email asking for availability from the HR coordinator and received not response. After several attempts to connect received an apology that the manager had been on unavailable and was I still interested. Confirmed interest, sent more availability details as requested and heard nothing more, despite following up a couple of times. Position is still posted and been open for several months.

App Support Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.

Interview

I applied online through their portal and a few days later received an email from a "Senior Strategic Talent Sourcer" about scheduling a phone call. We settled on a date -- and then he didn't call. Followed up via email, no indication from him that he'd erred, rescheduled -- and then he didn't call that second time either. I suppose this is more on the recruiter than the company ... but the former reflects the latter, no?

Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Response

3 Feb 2020 – Strategic Sourcing Manager

At HMH, we take our candidate experience very seriously and we want apologize for your interview experience. We hope that you will consider applying for other positions via our career site at www.hmhco.com/careers. Thank you for your feedback.

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.

Interview

There were several interviews with different managers. There were phone interviews, followed by face to face interview and a bootcamp where we had to present lessons to our peers and managers.

Head of Digital Development and Strategy Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portsmouth, NH (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (Portsmouth, NH (US)) in July 2019.

Interview

Very ad hoc - I met with the general manager via videoconference and phone call, and was flown up to Portsmouth to meet with other people. The conversations went quite well and I received positive feedback.

Unfortunately, after 2 weeks of intensive conversations communication stopped. I have received no emails, phone calls or responses to my inquiries. This was unsettling.

Interview Questions

• How have you navigated moving an organization or a team to digital.   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (Boston, MA (US)) in June 2019.

Interview

There was a phone interview, a video interview (10 questions where I recorded my answers on video), then Webex interviews with 4 different members of the team.

I don't think this was a bad process when you look at the step-by-step, but it took 5 months from initial application to get in the door, which is exceptionally long. I would have loved this process to be faster so I could start my job sooner.

Interview Questions

• Most of the interviews were asking about experience and trying to discern working style and fit. There are no riddles or brain teasers.   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.