MessageBird Interview Questions | Glassdoor.sg

MessageBird Interview Questions

Interviews at MessageBird

User Experience Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at MessageBird.

Interview

I apply, get a call back and I go to my interview online since I'm abroad. No show. I email later, no reply. I email somebody else; though this is where I should have stopped the process. I get a reply to interview with a superior. Great. Then I have the interview with a hiring manager. Everything went well I thought. then I get a call back with a rejection. They basically said I had little (and sometimes zero) experience in everything I currently do in my present job. Did I have a completely different interview? I didn't even argue with them. They totally disregarded me since even before the interview and had the audacity to make it worse by ignoring everything I made time for. If they cannot understand anything I said and guessed the opposite, then not my loss.

Interview Questions

MessageBird Response

10 Oct 2019 – Talent Lead

Thanks for sharing your feedback. We always aim to provide candidates with clear points of constructive feedback, and we are sorry you feel this was not the case and that your interviews did not leave you with a positive feeling. We take your feedback very seriously, so if you want to tell us more about your experience and what could improve, please reach out to us via careers@messagebird.com and we'll make sure to get back to you.

Product Manager Interview

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at MessageBird in June 2018.

Interview

I applied from overseas, so all of my interactions with members of MessageBird were over the phone.

The first call was with HR, and consisted mainly of a request for my salary requirements.

The second call was with a current MessageBird (MB) product manager. This was a fruitful discussion of my experience and perspective related to product management. Following this call, the interviewer gave me an assignment to complete related to what I would do upon first arriving at MB and being given a particular problem to solve. I delivered my response within a few days.

I was then interviewed by the head of their product division. This, too, was a good discussion. He asked a lot of good questions, but really this was a solid back-and-forth discussion where we both seemed to be open about sharing our opinions about how good product management is done, what life is like at MB, etc.

I was then informed by HR that the next step would be for me to speak with the CEO. This is when things took a turn for the worse. As the first scheduled meeting time approached, I was informed of a need to reschedule. No big deal, said I; I imagine the CEO is a busy person! We rescheduled the call for a later day.

As that second appointment approached, I was informed we would have to reschedule again. Still not a huge deal... we went ahead and rescheduled.

On the third attempt, I got on the phone at the appointed time and proceeded to wait for 20 minutes. The CEO never showed up.

I emailed the CEO and his assistant who had set up the appointment and explained that I was on the call, apparently the timing ended up not working out, so should we reschedule?

The answer was yes. We rescheduled again. At the appointed time I again got on the phone and waited for 20 minutes. The CEO failed to attend again.

At this point I was feeling like this wasn't a good situation to pursue. However, I remained professional and emailed the folks at MB again, reporting that I had been on the line at the agreed-to time but that the interview had not taken place. Their HR rep apologized, indicated that they would circle back with their head of product and get back to me. I indicated that they should let me know what next steps they wanted to take.

That was the last I heard from them. The process had some pretty good points, but I was pretty turned off by the end of it.

Interview Questions

• How would you prepare to bring a new product offering to market as your first assignment here at MessageBird?   1 Answer

Customer Success Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Amsterdam (Netherlands)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at MessageBird (Amsterdam (Netherlands)) in July 2020.

Interview

I had an initial call with the Recruiter, which was very positive and he really seems to mirror the company's values and culture. My second interview with the Hiring Manager was much less inspiring. He seemed unprepared, had not looked at my background, had no idea what the interview process looked like and hardly asked any questions. I didn't move to the next round as I didn't have enough technical experience.

Interview Questions

MessageBird Response

19 Oct 2020 – Senior Manager – Talent

Hi! Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. We’re happy to hear that your interaction with the Recruitment team was positive. But, we are sorry and disappointed to hear that your next interview did not end with the same sentiment. We require all Birds involved in interview processes to be trained on how to conduct interviews, ensuring a positive and productive experience. We understand that we missed something here, so we will take your feedback internally to make sure we do better in meeting our number one priority – a positive candidate experience. Thanks again for sharing your valued feedback, and we wish you the best of luck going forward.

Lead Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at MessageBird.

Interview

Online interview process in a few steps. All went great from my point of view.
    Normal HR initial discussion then a series of technical interviews then a quick update from their part on feedback.

Customer Support EMEA Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Amsterdam (Netherlands)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at MessageBird (Amsterdam (Netherlands)) in June 2020.

Interview

- First 2 calls with a recruiter with typical questions.
    - An assignment that had to be done within 3 days.
    - Another phone call with the recruiter with feedback regarding the assignment
    - Interview with the Operations Analyst

Everything went well and smoothly till my video call with the Operations Analyst.

The recruiter is a gem. Friendly, informative and interested.

My issue began with the Analyst as the video connection was poor. I used my cellphone and 4G to ensure no hiccups would take place, as earlier the video calls were not working via my laptop. In the end it did not help as I could barely hear him speak. I had to lean over in an uncomfortable position. At the end of the interview I asked him if he had any concerns regarding me for the role. He said no. When the recruiter came back to me with feedback he told me the Analyst thought I had low-energy and did not look interested. That was untrue due to the connectivity issues. I explained this to him but I did not get a second-chance. I believe that it is ok to dismiss someone at the beginning of the process but when I passed the assignment and have come this far, to me dismissed this way was unprofessional. He also stated I had little tech experience but if that was the case, why did I get so far in the process after getting good feedback on the assignment? I even gave the interviewer the opportunity to tell me if he had any concerns about me, and he did not.

If my feedback leads to no chances, for the ones being interviewed online do this: Take the lead of the conversation and be honest if you are experiencing connectivity issues. This way they may not get, the wrong impression of you, if your body language may be interpreted wrongly as mine was.

My experience was positive until this point, I just wish I didn't have to lose my time any further than it did.

Interview Questions

• Why did you choose MB?
      Explain what the inbox.ai is in simple terms
      How do you handle customer feedback?
      Tell us a time when you went the extra mile for a customer.   Answer Question

Engineering Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Stockport, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at MessageBird (Stockport, England (UK)) in June 2020.

Interview

The interview process was detailed and through . The details of each interview were communicated and organised well. Every interview was on time and each interviewer was very clear and had a great understanding of the company and the role.

Interview Questions

MessageBird Response

4 Sep 2020 – Senior Manager, Talent

Thank you for leaving your feedback. We work hard to ensure our candidates receive timely communication, we set clear expectations regarding the process, and the interviewing experience is positive in all stages. We're delighted to hear your positive feedback, thank you!

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Amsterdam (Netherlands)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at MessageBird (Amsterdam (Netherlands)) in February 2020.

Interview

I applied online and a recruiter contacted me a day later. The whole process included multiple interviews. First was a hackerrank challenge. After that a coding challenge that I did it with 2 other software engineers at their Amsterdam office. The last one included 3 interviews in a single day: system design, another coding challenge and a meeting with the engineering manager.

Overall, everything went pretty well, the interviewers asked plenty of good questions to test my ability. I enjoyed it when they could understand my explanation and the conversation continued until the last minute. One thing I like very much is before each interview day, my recruiter gave me a quick prep call where she explained the upcoming interview and answered my questions (ex. who are the interviewers, etc.).

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at MessageBird in January 2020.

Interview

I applied for a Medior position. I had a 30 minutes call with a Recruiter and then I had a Hackerrank assignment. The assignment consisted of 3 exercises in 90 minutes using Hackerrank. Two of them where problem-solving algorithms and the third one an SQL query problem. Only one of them was a bit complex. I got the first and third one perfect but the second one I've only passed around half of the tests. The answer from the recruiter was that my score was not high enough for the role.

Interview Questions

• The second exercise involved strings, rotations, and cursors   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Amsterdam (Netherlands)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at MessageBird (Amsterdam (Netherlands)) in December 2019.

Interview

This has been the weirdest interview I’ve ever experienced.

Let’s just start with the stuff that was relatively normal. I submitted my resume online, was called back by a recruiter within a few days to discuss some initial stuff. Was then sent an HackerRank test (3 questions / 2 hours) of medium complexity which I all completed successfully.

I was then invited for a 1 hour interview onsite. The interview is a 5 minute introduction, a technical implementation problem for which you have 45 minutes, and 10 minutes at the end where you can ask the interviewers questions.

The implementation problem I was asked to tackle was writing a TCP server that basically accepts URLs and for each URL received over the socket, we should issue a HTTP request for that URL (basic GET request) and store the resulting status code in a CSV file. Finally the server should be multi-client so some threading is involved.
    There is nothing particularly hard about any of this, however 45 minutes too little time in my opinion to properly handle error handling, testing and scalability concerns.
    When the 45 minutes were up the only thing I still needed to handle for the basic program was the threading part, however since time was up I just verbally explained how I would handle this. The final program worked fine, however simply was 3 minutes away from being a multithreaded program.

A few days later I got a message from the recruiter that they weren’t moving on. The first thing the recruiter mentioned was something related to "visibility". When I asked the recruiter what she mean’t by that, she told me that according to the interviewers I was trying to run my program while another instance was still running. It really weirds me out that this is something they would evaluate me on, since you just get a "port already in use" error and I fixed that myself in like 5 seconds… Why on earth would you even evaluate someone based on such a tiny and minor thing really surprises me. It’s not like you would never make this kind of tiny mistake during your actual work and if you fixed it 5 seconds, why are you even complaining?? And what does this even have to do with "visibility"?

Another piece of feedback was equally weird. Recruiter told me that I 'did not follow up on interviewer feedback'. The only moment in in the interview where the interviewer said something that can be remotely considered as feedback, is when I was diagnosing a minor bug relating to writing something to disk. This didn’t happen, and as I was debugging the interviewer suggested I flush the writer instance. But since I already did close the writer, there is no need to flush, since closing the writer (in Java) automatically flushes.. Shortly after I subsequently found and fixed the real bug. It was not related to flushing at all.

After reporting my concerns to the recruiter, and asking for more concrete examples, the recruiter got back to me 1 day later. What I heard here baffled me even more than before. This time, the feedback was negative because the program I wrote “was unfinished”. There was a running program implementing all requirements, except 1 minor one that I needed 3 minutes more for that I didn’t get. I verbally explained how I would approach implementing that last requirement. It’s completely unfair to then asses this as “not having finished the assessment”. Furthermore, the earlier bug I ran into related to writing to a file I received feedback on as “having spent too much time solving this”. I would have solved it way sooner if the interviewer didn’t waste my time by pointing in the wrong direction.

The final red flag for me was that at the end of the interview, I asked one of the interviewers what the main challenges MessageBird is still faces were. The interviewer reflected that the organisation has grown so fast recently that organisation and management have suffered in the process. I think my interview is exemplary of the organisation, in that apparently the interviewers don’t have the skill or experience to properly evaluate candidates, and instead resort to nonsense about minor things. Given that 100% of the technical interviews with Messagebird here on Glassdoor are rated negatively and seem similar to my experience it seems this organisation really needs to change their hiring process. I have interviewed dozens of people myself and if that many people have a negative experience with your company than something is definitely wrong.

TLDR; would not recommend interviewing with this company, doesn’t seem like it is well run and the interviewer seem to be clueless at evaluating candidates and instead focus on the wrong things. Messagebird feels like a bad joke.

Senior Software Engineer (PHP) Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at MessageBird.

Interview

the most awful interview I ever had. the interviewer was in a hurry and I thought he ran a long way to get to the interview and it got finished in 10 minutes!

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.