Microsoft Data Scientist Interview Questions | Glassdoor.sg

Microsoft Data Scientist Interview Questions

Interviews at Microsoft

3.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA (US)).

Interview

Everything started very well, but at some point I feel like the interviewer was more interested in terminology than actual knowledge about the area.

No feedback was given, not even that I didn't get the position.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about machine learning?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (New York, NY (US)) in July 2020.

Interview

I was asked several questions about data structure, web crawler, and knowledges with numpy and pandas. Then some behavior questions about leadership and cooperation. There are 5 interviewers.

Interview Questions

• What are the differences between panel data and crosssectional data?   1 Answer

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

One phone interview first, go through resume and one case study. Four rounds onsite, very basic prob and stats questions, but tons of case study. And case study focus on Microsoft's product. It looks like I'm applying for product manager instead of data scientist.

Interview Questions

• Go through resume and many case study.   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA (US)) in January 2020.

Interview

The position was phd data science position at Microsoft. I applied online got a phone call at the end of December about the datasets I have worked with and some behavioral questions. A week later I invited to have an onsite interview.

Interview Questions

• There were 4 interview back to back, questions about my project, some data frame questions, some linked list questions   2 Answers

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)) in January 2020.

Interview

I got the recruitment information from one professor's email. I applied online and got back in one week. Scheduled a 30 min phone interview in 2 weeks. Then I waited for 3 weeks and got decline email from the recruiter. If it goes well, you would be contacted in around 2 weeks.

Interview Questions

• What was one of the obstacles in your acedamic experience?   1 Answer
    • How would you explain deep learning to a 9 year old?   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

1 hour phone screen with general DS/ML questions followed with full day on site loop. 5 1 hour interviews in total. I didn't really know what to expect going in and got a pretty wide range of questions. Topics involved data structures & algos, experimentation, dealing with dirty data, & lots of statistics/machine learning questions. Overall everyone was really friendly sharp & smart. I also had a few curveball questions thrown my way where the interviewer was trying to see if they could catch me off guard.

Interview Questions

• Explain the difference between type 1 and type 2 error.   2 Answers
    • Can you explain what regularization is. What's the difference between L1/L2 regularization   1 Answer

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Boston, MA (US)) in December 2019.

Interview

30 min phone interview + onsite 45min *4. Get a phone interview through website (calculate simple math questions, I think acceptance is based on correctness and efficiency, this part is not hard), the phone interview asked about behavior questions. Onsite interview do not involve technical questions.

Interview Questions

• what you have learnt in a failure   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA (US)).

Interview

Online application with current employee referral didn't work and some how got the second chance for the phone screening with recruiter, but recruiter didn't ask me the relevant questions. For example, they should have asked how would you interpret this data instead of how to calculate a+b.

Interview Questions

• Very hard stats questions and theory which is not relevant   1 Answer

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Applied online and referred by friend. It's a 30 mins interview. They called in on 3 mins later than the expected time, and finished in 25 mins. No response after that, So I believe I failed.

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

HR is always missing. I directly contacted with Engineers. Engineers are super friendly. I have a tech phone interview. Then Onsite. My case is very strange. I met 7 persons in one day even though I am a new grad. It's really tough.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.