Microsoft Program Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor.sg

Microsoft Program Manager Interview Questions

Interviews at Microsoft

3.3

Program Manager Interview

Interview

Onsite interview. One algorithm question. One production design question. One soft skills question. There were four interview blocks. They lied and said that getting three of four was random. It was not.

Interview Questions

• Design a lightbulb. The trick is to ask questions about the lightbulb.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Program Manager Interview

Interview

It was a university interview where they came to the school to interview us. My interviewer was a Software Engineer and told me upfront he did not know much about Program Management.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about your past positions   1 Answer

Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft in March 2020.

Interview

Had a first round interview at my university, resume walk through and coding/design questions. A few months later had my on site final round. Final round was 4 interviews back to back, an hour+ each. Mix of behavioral and technical questions based on my resume (e.g. system architecture, cloud computing, security questions). A few weeks after my recruiter told me I go the offer.

Interview Questions

• What was a technical project you worked on that you and how was it impactful/what did you do on it?   3 Answers

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)) in February 2020.

Interview

I had multiple interviews at the Redmond HQ with Program Managers and Engineering Manager. The interview process was chaotic and was not streamlined. The interview was also more difficult than expected.

Interview Questions

• What is your favorite product and why? How would you improve it? How would you monetize it?   3 Answers

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Reston, VA (US)).

Interview

Very well organized, and smooth. The whole process was very well planned and everything went very smoothly. There was little downtime in the four hours of interviews, interviewing with program managers, hiring managers, and technical employees.

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft (Bellevue, WA (US)) in January 2020.

Interview

I applied through university and received an invite to interview on campus. Then around one weeks later I heard that I was waitlisted for interview spots, but eventually (maybe two more weeks later) they offered to fly me out to a final interview in Washington.
    1. The Campus Interview
    The campus interview was fairly straight forward. They asked me a something that tested data structures. I didn't actually catch on the the interviewer wanted me to use a hash table for a bit but he was really patient with me and encouraging. He then asked me how I felt about the Tesla touchscreen displays in the cars and asked me to why touchscreen or traditional knobs might be better or worse.

2. The Final Round
    The final round consisted of four interviews each around 45 minutes. There were no coding questions unless you were coming from a non-computing major (I chatted with a bunch of the other interviewees and that's the conclusion we'd come to since the only two non-computing were the only two who got technical questions).
    My first round asked me about any projects I've worked on. I mentioned one from a previous job and he grilled me on my design choices in the project (though it was a basic intern project with the design choices already made for me so he asked me how I would have designed it). He then asked me some general questions about if I were given a product and a team what would I do. He narrowed the question down as I asked clarifying questions.
    My second round interviewer began by pointing out the same project on my resume from my previous job and asked about the design choices again.
    My third round began by saying she spoke to my previous interviewer and wanted to hear about my project from my previous job (tbh at this point I really wish I could have talked about something else). Luckily, this interviewer decided to go off the original problem my project was solving and asked for a larger scope how would I solve the problems.
    My fourth round was the most fun. He asked about an app I use a lot. I mentioned Spotify. He had me try to improve the product coming up with three new features. He then asked for a big new change for Spotify.

Interview Questions

• Which is better touchscreen or traditional dials and knobs for a car dash screen?   2 Answers

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)) in January 2020.

Interview

Found the job opportunity and asked for a referral from one MSFT friend. One HR phone interview for basic questions and then one onsite interview with the hiring team. The onsite one was with 5 interviewers includes hire manager, team peers and the their director.

Interview Questions

• How to improve a current product that you're working on?   1 Answer

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)) in December 2019.

Interview

Really smooth process, I met with multiple program managers on the team and they each asked me how I would design different things. The interesting thing is they did not ask me to design software but rather different things in day to day life. Refrigerator, Microwave oven, tape dispenser.

Interview Questions

• Design a Microwave oven that could be used by everyone in the house   3 Answers

Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft in December 2019.

Interview

Phone screen, 30 minute call going over behavioral and technical questions. Started with walking through resume, moved to more technical questions including favorite microsoft products and how to design products. Emphasis placed on technical experience in the past.

Interview Questions

• Design a cell phone for children   2 Answers

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (New York, NY (US)).

Interview

Phone interview was great. Made it to an in person interview and was excited. In person (all day interview) was cancelled the afternoon before with no reason given. Was told they will reschedule and never heard back. Not the professionalism I am looking for in a new career and I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that a company this size is so unorganized with the hiring process.

Interview Questions

• We would love you to come in for an interview! Can you be available from 10am to 4pm?   2 Answers

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.