Microsoft Software Development Engineer II Interview Questions | Glassdoor.sg

Microsoft Software Development Engineer II Interview Questions

Interviews at Microsoft

3.4

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Submitted resume at a campus career fair. Heard back a couple weeks later to schedule an on-campus interview. The on campus interview was a half hour long and had just two questions:
    1. Given two nodes in a tree, find their ancestor
    2. Given a function that does some bit operations, determine what it does and find the bug.

About 2 weeks after the on-campus interview I was informed that I would be moving forward in the interview process. This was one negative of the process for me, because I was asked to interview for a position nowhere near the locations I specified as being my preferred choices. The team I interviewed with was also quite different that the interests I discussed in my campus interview.

The hiring event consisted of 4 45-60 minuter interviews. Each interview varied a bit. Some of the other people interviewing received nearly all design questions while others had mostly coding/algorithm questions. I had a mix of design and coding questions which were done on the whiteboard.

For all of the coding/algorithm questions time and space requirements were discussed as the approach was talked through. No specific requirements were given at the start of a question, but the resulting complexities had to be discussed and justified. Some questions related to balancing the time and space requirements. Test cases were also discussed for each question ranging from use cases to catching integer overflow.

The final design question was very open ended, which I think actually tripped me up a bit because after several focused technical questions, I had trouble thinking from a broad design point of view.

Overall, I felt the interviews all went well, but with no feedback from the interviewers I can't say what it was that kept me from getting an offer.

Interview Questions

• 1. Given a non-negative integer array that is then shuffled and 1 element is removed, find which element was removed.

2. Assume you are designing/writing code for some small business software how would you go about creating a clean, extensible method for calculating sales tax that can be extended easily to work in different parts of the world.

3. (Two separate questions)
        3a. Given an integer array, remove the duplicate values and return an integer array
        3b. Test a dice role generator method

4. Design a system for tracking employee applicants through the interview process   2 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA (US)) in November 2013.

Interview

This was an internal move, so slightly less stressful than an external application. I still went through 4 hours of loops asking a variety of technical questions and theoretical software design questions.

Interview Questions

• Build a list of all words in a novel as well as a count of duplicate words   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)) in November 2013.

Interview

Phone interview was pleasant. Questions were mostly related to previous work, C#. One each coding questions on array manipulation. The interview gave a detailed description of the team and projects they are working on and gave recommendations to the team manager. He was going to use an online tool so he can see the coding but the invite was sent too late. I just read out my code to him and he seemed to be happy about it.

Interview Questions

• What I can do to get you in the door?   1 Answer
    • Why do you want to leave the current job? Why do you think this is a good place to move to?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Not really

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA (US)).

Interview

I was first contacted by a staffing member about the opportunity, followed by two phone technical interviews. One from the hiring manager and the other from a team member. Then I flew to Seattle for an onsite interview. There are 6 interviewers from 9am to 5:30pm. The first is the staffing member that originally contacted me, followed by 5 technical interviews examining my skills.

Interview Questions

• Nothing difficult. If you are the right one for the team then it is easy.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Negotiated using another offer.

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)) in October 2013.

Interview

3 rounds of tech interview after screening. Different folks , but some questions were repeated. Some questions from your existing areas of expertise.
    Active Directory , a little of .NET and some questions around CI/CD

Interview Questions

• All kinds of questions around algorithms and data structures, usually around sorting and sets   1 Answer

Software Development Engineer - II Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft in September 2013.

Interview

There were totally 2 rounds of Phone Interview.

1st round: "Given a linked list such that one node point to some random node, Write the clone method of a linked list."
    I was able to give an approximate solution in C# using Dictionary, the interviewer was helpful and encouraging inorder for me to come to exact solution.

Couple of days later, got a call back from recruiter that I will be interviewed for 2 round of phone interview.

Interview Questions

• 2nd round:
      "What is the data structure which suits best for the Battleship game? The board will be of size n x n, with m different ships each having k1, ..., km lengths. Each ship can either by place horizontally or vertically on the board.

The structures should be designed such that they can support basic operations for playing a game. For example, the board and a particular (i, j) coordinate representing a position on the board may be passed into a function attack(). The function should return hit if a ship was hit at that position, sunk if a ship has sunk after being attacked at that position, and miss if no ship is at that position.

Describe your design of the structures, what kind of data they store, and the runtime complexity of typical operations for playing the game (like the attack() function) as a result of your design decisions"

I was coming with an O(n) solution during attack, which was my first attempt and then I was thinking about optimization. But by then the time was over and interviewer seemed unhappy with my solution or the attempt.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA (US)) in September 2013.

Interview

First one or two interviews are the screening interview question and then they take 4 interviews of one hr length. The final interview is taken by the hiring manager or some very experienced person. If all the other interviews went well, all you need to do in the final interview is 'dont do bad'. generally the first 2-3 interviews set the tone whether you are doing well or not. Questions asked were not too complicated but folks were experienced enough to judge your work and quality pretty quickly. Be genuine and make sense.

Interview Questions

• plot the line given two points and a point method such that the next point is touching the previous (in other words, no gaps in the line)   1 Answer
    • thought process   1 Answer

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Bellevue, WA (US)) in August 2013.

Interview

1st round phone interview. 2nd round onsite
    On site: meet 4 people and each ask you 1 or 2 questions

Interview Questions

• Solve: M is a 2D matrix of integers (nXm) they are sorted in both row and column Write a function search(int s) that return the exact location of the number or Null using lgn   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)) in August 2013.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter from Microsoft, who found my profile on LinkedIn. He sent me an online test for me to take, which I passed. Then his colleagues scheduled the on-site interview in Redmond, Washington.

The interviews went well. I had a good rapport with the four interviewers. Each interview consisted of a few minutes of information questions, followed by a coding question that you have to do on a whiteboard. I answered all but one of the coding questions correctly, as far as I could tell. No matter how much you prepare, a lot of it comes down to luck -- you never know how much a question can stump you, even if the interviewer is helping you. I did study and practice some questions before the interview, but I can't say that it really made much difference.

Interview Questions

• I was asked a question about hashing that required a clever solution that used bit shifting. I think the interviewer may have realized that it was too hard to give candidates a chance to demonstrate their skills.   2 Answers

Negotiation

No, I didn't try to negotiate, probably to my detriment. I wanted to leave my current job quite badly and would not have wanted Microsoft to call my bluff and stay at my previous employer.

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Microsoft (Bellevue, WA (US)) in May 2013.

Interview

I had phone interview with hiring manager. He was really nice and supportive. he asked question about my background and what i do at my current company. explained it well.
    then coding question - write a program to add a node to the list.
    I asked if i should consider it as sorted linked list.
    They always expect the better code, so when you write down "working" code, they'll ask to modify it.
    At end, I asked few questions about the team & company & product.
    overall experience was good.