Microsoft Software Development Engineer II Interview Questions | Glassdoor.sg

Microsoft Software Development Engineer II Interview Questions

Interviews at Microsoft

3.4

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)) in June 2012.

Interview

I first did a phone interview and answered a few basic computer science questions. During the on-site interview, I had around 6 hours of interviews (1 hour interviews per person) throughout the day, including a lunch interview. The "loop" usually gets cut after lunch if you don't make the cut. Fortunately I went the whole day. At the end of the day you usually sit down with someone higher than the hiring manager and discuss non-technical topics so they get a feel for you as a candidate and your potential non-technical contributions to the team.

Interview Questions

• You have two linked lists that merge at some node. The lists could be billions of nodes long. Find the node where the lists merge in the most optimal time while using a low amount of memory.   5 Answers

The offer was not high enough for my level of experience. It seems like they were filing a role that was a level below my current pay grade.

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA (US)) in April 2012.

Interview

I had one phone interview and after had interview in office.
    On phone i described my experience and got one simple technical question. And I was answered on it.
    After 1 week I got offer for interview. I had two 1 on 1 talk. And total 3 questions in it. I was answered on 2 questions.

Interview Questions

• Question from phone interview. How to make queue using stack-container?   Answer Question
    • How many you need PC to keep in memory maps for project like google maps. All numbers what you need, you can ask.   Answer Question
    • You are given an array with integers (both positive and negative) in any random order. Find the sub-array with the largest sum.   Answer Question
    • Consider n people with random birthdays. How large does n need to be before there is at least a 50% chance that two people have the same birthday?   2 Answers

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)) in April 2012.

Interview

Regular interview cycle for MS, one HR round for intros, a technical phone screening and one day full of technical interviews (5 in all). Tech interviews required white board skills. In phone screening i was asked to write and read the code out in phone.

Interview Questions

• Spatial question: In a canvas containing other windows (rectangles) place a new window (rectangle) without intersecting others.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)) in April 2012.

Interview

It is quick and smooth. I interviewed around 11:30am --- have lunch with hiring manager then meet with a couple of technical fellow then a testing manager and finally the engineering director. All friendly and nice.

Interview Questions

• What do you think your level in Microsoft if we hire you?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)) in March 2012.

Interview

Contacted dev manager to ask about position, had a phone interviw scheduled after that. Then applied to position on internal site and got scheduled interviews with 5 more people (tasks and technical questions).

Interview Questions

• Multiple readers - single writer lock   Answer Question
    • Copy list with next and random pointers without using more memory than needed for a copy   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)) in February 2012.

Interview

The company flew me to Seattle for the interview. The process was very well organized. On the day of interview I had 6 interviews. Questions were of moderate complexity. Got an offer in 2 business days, and they pushed me to respond within 2-3 business days.

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)) in July 2011.

Interview

Applied online. Phone interview first, followed by 6 rounds of onsite interview with technical questions.each round is 45 minutes, they will ask technical questions, average difficulty. Talked with the general manager at last. Got the offer.

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Bellevue, WA (US)) in July 2011.

Interview

I was interviewing to R&D group in Bing. I had phone screen first, then onsite interview with 4 developers and managers. My interview experience was great -- everybody was very polite and asked interesting questions. Almost all interview questions was related to algorithms, statistics and machine learning. If you want to pass such kind of interview, start to solve problems on Topcoder or Kaggle.

Interview Questions

• Mathematically prove "Birthday paradox".   1 Answer

Negotiation

Always try to negotiate. Microsoft is quite flexible here and 10% can be easy to achieve.

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Bellevue, WA (US)) in July 2011.

Interview

Recruiter emailed me in late June asking me if I am interested in Microsoft, I replied "yes" with my resume attached. There were two phone screenings about data structure and algorithm in the next two weeks, and I flew to Seattle for on-site interview. I met the recruiter, two engineers, two tech leads, one manager and one architect in one day. Engineers focused on coding, tech leads focused on design, manager / architect asked some generic problem solving questions. The team is in downtown Bellevue, and I had my lunch at the company cafeteria inside the building. Each one gets a private office with the sliding door, it looks cool.

Interview Questions

• Implement malloc() and free() to solve heap fragmentation problem, while malloc() should be very fast and free() could be slower.   Answer Question
    • Design a media player which can load from CD or online, and can shuffle the list, and sequentially / randomly play the songs.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Bellevue, WA (US)) in January 2011.

Interview

I was already a Microsoft employee, and applied to work at a team within another department. I spent a day in an interview "loop", where I was given a schedule, and each hour I met with a different employee in their office, to be asked one or more coding or engineering questions, which I would answer on a whiteboard (or verbally). Some questions were more about writing a block of code, others were about answering abstract questions "how would you accomplish X if given limits Y and Z".

Interview Questions

• Given a block of memory, how would one implement their own heap memory allocation API?   Answer Question