Find jobs for Research Scientist

Rakuten Research Scientist Interview Questions

Updated May 7, 2019

To filter interviews, or .
Found 8 of over 809 interviews

Campus Recruiting13%
2.5
HardAverageEasy

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Rakuten (Bangalore) in Apr 2019

Interview

Two stupid PhD holders interviewed me. Asked about mathematics and ml theory. Answered almost all but no offer. Please get better employees to conduct your interviews. Biased selection. Please stop selecting bad PhD holders as employees. First was a online test followed by a interview The HR calls 1 hour before interview and asks me to bring a laptop for the interview. After I go for interview I noticed that there was no laptop needed at all. That was the level of misinformation, mismanagement out there in that company. From HR to Employees all are dump headed. I've a very strong ml fundamentals. I wish in this company I had the option to ask some questions to those over qualified PhD interviewer's. Then I would have puzzled them for sure. Stupid company Their over qualified PhDs says that steepest ascent algorithm for logistic regression modifies the hyperplane even if the instance its trying to predict is correctly classified. When I said the algorithm will only modify the hyperplane when it misclassfies according to the equation then they say I'm wrong. I don't know from where they have passed their PhD. Get better employees Rakuten. I came to home and double checked the concepts and I saw their PhD holders concepts were totally wrong.

Interview Questions
  • why do we use dropout
    Answer Question
  • What are the types of random variables
1 person found this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Rakuten (Bangalore) in Apr 2019

Interview

I have gone through 3 interviews. Starting with a simple coding test. Second round was good conducted by a junior person over telephone. Third round was with a director who has no clue what to ask. He is a Phd holder with limited knowledge in Data Science and good with bluffing and asks silly questions. Totally waste of time to attend. Instead you can spend time watching FC Barcelona replay football match

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Rakuten

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Rakuten

Interview

First had an easy coding via Codility and then gave a presentation about what I've done before. The hiring manager asked questions related to my previous work and some technical questions mostly about machine learning.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Rakuten (Singapore)

Interview

Recruiter initiated contacted without application from me. Head of Singapore research unit did a phone interview for 30 minutes and talked about some of the applications they do in Singapore. Then they scheduled an hour of interview with presentation review by a two person panel including a senior data scientist who was knowledgable in traditional machine learning. The worst part of the interview was a the next presentation where the entire presentation was to be repeated to their overlords sitting in Japan over video conference. They barely understood anything I was talking since they didn't get much of the English, waited till I finished and asked their pre-prepared questions. The questions were redundant and unconnected to what I had presented. It also showed that they were completely out of touch with contemporary research in AI and ML. It showed that they were looking for some code monkeys to replicate stuff that was hot in America a few years back. I had heard of this a few years back. I was quite disinterested in the whole interaction although I talked a lot and it waned as the presentation dragged on for more than an hour. The recruiter then sent a generic "not selected for next round" (they didn't have a next round; this was the last presentation); super rude by any standards to send to a scientist interview candidate; even Google Research that gets umpteen applications send a better rejection letter to someone who did an onsite interview with them. A previous member of our lab from the same lab had attended their interview the last year. He got the offer offer but declined as they did not value his skills. They offered to pay something around SGD 36K (SI Valley value for a deep learning research scientist is at USD 150K base salary and upwards). I strongly discourage any scientist who values his skills to avoid interviewing with made up research institute.

Interview Questions
  • Present about your research and how it can be applied to Rakuten
3 people found this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tokyo

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Rakuten (Tokyo) in Apr 2018

Interview

Applied online. First did an online coding interview, and a recording of my answers to a few basic questions. Then they asked me to send them a presentation with my background and relevance to Rakuten. After that, they scheduled a Skype interview, but I didn't proceed beyond it. I thought the Skype interview actually went well and was surprised to have been turned down, considering I was only asked general questions and yet my background is well matched with their current research projects.

Interview Questions
  • Why do you want to work at Rakuten? Very basic questions. Especially during the Skype interview, I was asked nothing relevant to my background or the job I would be doing, or even the business. Just generic questions like where do you see yourself in 5 years? Why do you want to work at Rakuten? What's your worst quality??????
2 people found this interview helpful

Rakuten

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Rakuten

Interview

First round is presentation of slides about your experiences and what techniques you will bring to rakuten. Second round is teleconference with tokyo HQ interviewers. The English of the two interviewers are terrible. Usually I only got one word recognized for one sentence. The more terrible is that the interviewer are not focusing on techniques or research, actually they know very little techniques obviously. Rather they focus on questions like what you know about rakuten, do you know the ** department of rakuten (not the department I apply to), what project is ** department doing, how can you bring new plans to the ** department. How do I know these without entering rakuten? And why I need to know these as a research scientist? But the feedback is this is important, and I am not just "working" for rakuten. Isn't research scientist a position of working ?? Then, without being asked any detailed techniques or research questions, I got rejected, as a world top research scientist with 10+ years experience. This implies the focus of rakuten, and also the research level of rakuten....

Interview Questions
  • do you know the ** department of rakuten (not the department I apply to), what project is ** department doing, how can you bring new plans to the ** department.
4 people found this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Rakuten (Singapore) in Jun 2017

Interview

In my case, the interview consisted of 2 stages: 1) Skype interview about my PhD project and interests 2) Interview in office, where I've presented my recent works and answered the corresponaing questions related to my presentation

Interview Questions
  • What is the principle behind alghoritms for eigndecomposition and how do they work?
  • What are the reasons of selecting certain classification alghoritms in my works?
  • Did I work with deep learning?
  • What are my questions about Rakuten?

Anonymous Employee in Tokyo

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 months. I interviewed at Rakuten (Tokyo) in May 2016

Interview

Step 1. Online programming test (codility), pre-recorded video interview with questions given in advance. Step 2. Two more codility programming tests. Step 3. Creating a presentation containing background information & accomplishments, and a quick review of how it might be possible to improve Rakuten's services. Step 4. Video interview about aforementioned presentation.

Interview Questions
4 people found this interview helpful
RSS Feed</>Embed