Shopee Interview Questions in Singapore, Singapore | Glassdoor.sg

Interviews at Shopee

2.9

Associate Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Shopee (Singapore).

Interview

I only reached the second round of interview:
    First round was with generic HR. You find out more about the role, organisation structure of the company and team.
    Second round was with a product manager from the specific product team. Self-introduction about yourself + case study +Q&A

Interview Questions

• Project management question: given limited resources, how to accomplish certain task.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Shopee (Singapore) in November 2020.

Interview

I applied to this position through an internal recruiter. The scheduling of the screening was very fast: the next day after I sent the CV I was already asked to do a one-hour online screening with a deadline of two days.

This online screening (or assessment) was done with glider.ai and consisted of two coding questions to be completed in one hour. I found it very difficult to complete the two questions in one hour because (1) on glider.ai you need to parse the input - it is not like leetcode where you just have to focus on problem-solving and (2) to implement an efficient solution takes some time (thinking + coding). Let me explain further.

The first problem was "Find the k-th largest value in an array. You are not allowed to use built-in sorting functions". The input is of the form [2, 3, 1, 5, 4], 2 (the array and k). So first you need to parse the input string to get the array and the value of k. Next, you can do it by sorting in descending order + selecting the k-th element - complexity O(nlogn). An efficient sorting algorithm (quick sort, merge sort, heap sort) takes some time to be implemented unless you used it recently or you have an exceptional memory to remember the code. You can do better than O(nlogn) if you keep a min-heap of size k and add all the elements in the array to it, then just get the root of the heap. This is roughly O(nlogk). But you need to implement the heapify (move up, move down) functions. My opinion is that, unless you are an IOI-level coder, it will take more than 30 minutes to get the code to work perfectly and pass all the tests.

In summary, it was an interesting experience for me. Honestly, I didn't expect such a hard screening process (even when compared to big tech companies).

Interview Questions

• Q1. Find the k-th largest value in an array. You are not allowed to use built-in sorting functions.   1 Answer
    • Q2. Using OOP, design a warehouse management system where you have N slots and you place objects in available slots, as close as possible to the door.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Shopee (Singapore) in November 2020.

Interview

The interview process was rather a horrible experience in general. Questions given for the coding tests were somewhat fine (might be challenging for some) but they were using the glider platform with the access of camera and microphone monitoring (privacy issues). On top of that, the need for extension installation was problematic and causes issues with the browsers (you cannot be using incognito mode to overcome this issue).
    While I can understand Shopee's intentions of preventing candidates to cheat at the first round, this is kind of defeating where the interviewers still need to go through a face-to-face coding interview. Not to mention they are exposing the candidate to privacy issues due to the need to install dubious extensions and need for camera and mic recordings.
    Nonetheless, still manage to get to the second round of interview. The interviewer was rather late (20 to 30 minutes late) but it was a rather alright experience in general. Technical questions asked were fine, more on the basic computer science fundamentals. However, despite having the chance to ask questions about the interviewer, most of the answers given by the interviewer were somewhat dodgy at best. Most of the answers given were very generic and could not be answered due to company policy, though did manage to take away that the work environment can be a bit challenging and stressful during certain Shopee events.

Interview Questions

• Find the k-th largest value in an array. (No using of built-in API sort or search functions)   Answer Question
    • Various multiple choice questions (more than 5 of them)   Answer Question

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Application

Interview

I applied for the Web Frontend Engineering Intern role.

4 Rounds
    1) Glider.ai - about 8 basic mcq questions on javascript + 2 coding questions testing basic level understanding of the language
    2) Phone Screen, Technical - Focused on evaluating your understanding of Javascript & Web development
    3) Phone Screen, Technical - Focused on data structures and algorithms. You can request to code in a different language in this round. Because I am much more familiar with Python in DSA, I requested to do so in Python.
    4) Phone Screen, Behavioural / Technical - Interviewed by future team manager, focused on my experiences and moved on how I would implement some some system design / UI.

In between interviews, HR will get back to you really quickly (within a week or so) to tell you if you've passed and/or schedule the next interview. I got my offer within 2 days of my last interview.

Interview Questions

• Javascript, CSS, Data structures & Algorithms, System Design   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Shopee (Singapore) in November 2020.

Interview

My interview experience with Shopee Singapore,

Applied via Shopee virtual recruitment event - Data Engineer
    Few days after applying I got a call from HR to schedule a slot for discussion, Discussion is more about my work experience, relevant experience in Big Data etc. At the end HR asked these questions How do you measure the complexity of the program, time complexity for merge sort, how do u get the unique columns from table etc. After couple of days I got a call again from HR for scheduling the technical interview and she explained totally 3 technical rounds
    Tech round 1 (1hr): - Purely technical mostly big data related question – Kafka,Spark,Distributed system etc and second half is coding exercise via codebunk (Question related to array)
    Tech round 2 (1hr): - Core CS fundamentals questions – TCP, UDP, Virtual Memory, Parallelism vs Concurrency, python multiprocessing, data structures etc and followed by coding exercise via codebunk (Question related to tree print)
    Final round (1hr): - Technical questions on Spark, structured streaming, managing state, few scenarios and few System design concepts. This discussion happened with Tech Lead.

Interview Questions

• 1) Kafka Exactly Once Internals
      2) Spark Structured Streaming state management   Answer Question

Technical Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore

Interview

Faceless Zoom Interview, 1st of 4 interview stages. Asked about individual, about experience in project management and then asked scenario question. Interviewer was lead engineer in another team.

Interview Questions

• Scenario Question: If one of the companies contracted is working slow how would you act?   Answer Question

Fraud Product Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Shopee (Singapore).

Interview

HR skype call / phone call interview.

Shopee's HR is extremely unprofessional.

I applied for a Tech role but was encouraged to apply for a fraud product management role in view of the mix of my prior experiences (AML/CFT, Fraud, Data Analytics, Tech strategy). I spent 1.5 hours explaining a whole end-to-end strategy, approach, business process, data and technology layers to dealing with fraud to receive radio silence and a rejection email a few weeks later with zero explanation.

Another Shopee HR called me up half a year later having seen my linkedin profile. Promised to follow up on prior HR's feedback - didn't. Attempted to talk about their fraud and business priorities and strategy but came off incoherent and nonsensical.

Don't engage me in an area where you have no domain expertise. I don't expect HR to have deep knowledge, but don't start conversations which you have no experience in and claim you know better.

Needless to say, they don't know what they are doing, HR wise and maybe fraud wise. I suspect they just want to hire people who are naive about the reality of working in shopee and the HR interview is just to make sure you're a "promoter" and irrationally positive about them.

From other acquaintance that I know are working in shopee, the HR regularly puts up fake reviews on the glassdoor. Be careful with what you read.

Software Engineer() Interview

Anonymous Employee in Singapore

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Shopee (Singapore) in October 2020.

Interview

Overall process took 3 weeks. HR was fast and responsive throughout the whole process. There was 1 online assessment, then 2 technical interview round. Coding qns was of moderate difficulty compared to other interviews that I've been to. There was some Databse, O.S and Network-related questions too so make sure to read up on that.

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Shopee (Singapore) in October 2020.

Interview

Online assessment followed by 2 rounds of interviews. One interviewer in the first round, and one interviewer in the final round. The interview is quite easy, make sure you know your stuff.

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Shopee (Singapore) in October 2020.

Interview

HR interview ->code test->result, code test includes python and sql. python is not that hard, but sql is hard. HR is very nice that she would introduce their department and products, which let you know more about their service.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.