Twitter Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.sg

Twitter Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Twitter

2.9

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Twitter (Seattle, WA (US)) in February 2020.

Interview

A phone screen, followed by the option of a take home test or a technical interview. Then a group meet and interview panel. The hiring manager was friendly and accommodating however the HR reps were awful. They did not read emails or treat me as a person but instead sent canned emails asking for previously provided information in the email thread and ignoring any requests for additional information.

The interviewer for the technical interview was clearly not trained in interviewing. He was unable to articulate a question and when pushed on specifics deflected asking for a "solution". It was clear he had a specific answer in mind despite never giving a full problem statement.

Interview Questions

• Twitter uses a monorepo that has too many tests to be run on one machine. When the tests run the raw logs are sent to the Engineer. People have been complaining that it's too hard to know what's broken after the suite is run. How would you solve this?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Twitter

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Twitter (Boulder, CO (US)) in November 2019.

Interview

Overall, really positive interview experience.

Had an initial call with the hiring manager, did a great job explaining the "why" of the project and team.

Technical phone interview on HackerRank, pretty typical coding exercise, medium to hard difficulty.

On-site interview had two more coding exercises, one was really challenging and the other was very simple, as well as a system design interview, and then lastly a leadership/behavioral interview. Throughout the interviews, everyone was very friendly and engaged, not combative like some other places I've interviewed. I also had lunch with a few folks not on the interview panel, food and conversation were both great.

Throughout the entire process, from the first call to the offer negotiation, my recruiters were exceptional. I felt valued, informed, and welcomed.

Suggestion: highly recommend reviewing Twitter's existing architecture in prep for the system design, lot of good videos and articles on the web that would through parts of it.

Only negative is that each team's interview process seems different, so YMMV, and my experience doesn't reflect the same as other people I know that have interviewed at Twitter.

Interview Questions

• Interval coding questions   3 Answers
    • Design a portion of Twitter's architecture.   4 Answers

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Twitter (Boston, MA (US)) in September 2019.

Interview

1 hour phone screen to assess technical skills. 3 90 minute onsite rounds to assess coding + system design + behavioral abilities.

One thing I really liked about how Twitter does things is that they give you detailed feedback on how you do in each round. This definitely helped me in preparing after the phone screen. I was told I did well on all technical portions.

One thing I did not particularly enjoy (but I understand) was the amount of focus on behavioral questions/answers. Even after the onsite concluded, I had two more 30 minute sessions with hiring manager and recruiter to go through more behavioral questions. My guess is that there were a few questions I did not provide too satisfactory of an answer, and ultimately led to the decision on not getting the final offer. Definitely interesting news and a bit of a humble pill to swallow if I'm being honest, but it is what it is.

Team and project I was applying for seemed really interesting and if I had gotten the offer I would have chosen this place to work at. Perks and benefits pretty much the standard in Bay Area. Alas I did not get it :(

Interview Questions

• Given a stream of logs, parse and count actions per time window.   Answer Question
    • Design a game and scale it.   Answer Question
    • Lots and lots of behavioral questions, make sure to brush up on your resume and past projects and be able to talk about every single thing on it (I mean EVERYTHING).   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Twitter in February 2019.

Interview

Pretty standard Recruiter call than phone interview .
    I usually do not write reviews. I feel this might help someone who comes well prepared and lot of hopes. I have had interviews with other companies like google no matter how bad i did but they treated me well . Now about twitter telephonic interview He arrived 5 min late there was no mention of time. well thats ok. We had initial conversation than followed by coding challenge. I was pretty confident about results . He caught minor bug when i was walking through code(dry running my code) didn't even run my code. That set him off . Just wanted tell we are human we make minor mistakes or sometime bigger . Does not mean you should not respect other person if he/she does not meet your criteria. He changed his tone. I fell like he rejected me right there even before going down for rest of the problem. Problem was really easy i didn't feel like i was struggling . I made sure even problem was easy i should not sound arrogant. This might be just another day of interview for interviewer but for us one time opportunity lot of us take this very seriously. Please try to be a human first. I totally understand you might be having bad day you should have said no this interview.

Interview Questions

• I do not feel like sharing question . Just think of any Easy/medium type leetcode question.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Twitter (San Francisco, CA (US)) in January 2019.

Interview

Talk with recruiter -> hiring manager -> first technical phone interview

The question was pretty simple, implement two functions read() write() and optimize for reading.

Involves some nested hashmaps (at least that's the solution I came up with).

The interviewer asked some follow up questions on what might happen if the write is massive so we cannot store the writes in some variable in memory.

Interviewer seems satisfied with all of my implementations & answers since each time I gave an answer, I make sure that the interviewer understands and agrees with the approach.

We ended up running out of questions to ask while there are still 15 minutes left. So I asked some random questions on twitter tech stack.

Got a rejection the next morning - really confused, recruiter would not give feedbacks. Easy interview overall, really curious what happened.

Interview Questions

• Implement a write/read thing, optimize on read.   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Twitter in January 2019.

Interview

Telephonic interview to solve an algo question was easy and could solve it. Recruiter didn't get back after the interview. So had to follow up. Recruiter said, another team was being considered.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Twitter (San Francisco, CA (US)) in May 2018.

Interview

I was contacted by a sourcer on LinkedIn. I was interested in the opportunity and the sourcer set me up for a phone call with a hiring manager. After the chat, we realized it was probably not a great fit and i thought that was that but to my surprise and delight I was connected with another hiring manager where they thought I'll be a better fit. This made me like the twitter process so much more than Google were they really don't care about fit at all till you clear the interviews!

I did the phone round which was quite tricky and was called onsite. Once i cleared the phone round, I was connected with a recruiter who was amazing in following up and communicating each step of the process. What I really also liked about Twitter careers is that if you look at their job posts, they don't want u to know 50 things like some other posts, they want you to know a few things really well and have the ability to learn other things.

I was dreading my onsite which consisted of 6 rounds with 2 interviewers each but I had a ball . The questions were very challenging and interesting, the interviewers were a good mix with varying levels of experience which kept the conversations going . I got to meet everyone in my future potential team during the interview. And the food OMG! Cannot believe how good it is.

I got a very competitive offer which I was able to negotiate up a little , so excited to be working here!

Interview Questions

• NDA in summary challenging data structure questions, no funky data structure use, but some involving use of more than 1 data structure, like list and dict.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Twitter (San Francisco, CA (US)) in November 2016.

Interview

1 phone screen
    1 follow up interview onsite

The onsite interview was easy. They were strangely disorganized, which I didn't really care for. Each interviewer seemed to be making up questions on the fly, with no real distinct path for evaluating me.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Twitter (San Francisco, CA (US)).

Interview

Interview started with simple phone interview. then five onsite interview in San Francisco.
    Interviews were simple. mostly asked broader level question.
    I work in systems are but most of interviewer were not at all related to system programming. so interview would end up me talking about my skill and then the interviewer talk about their experience.
    Overall entire experience was mess.

Interview Questions

• design memory allocator
      design hash table for streaming queries.   1 Answer

After talking to the team, I got less interested in twitter.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Twitter in April 2016.

Interview

I was referred by an employee and gone through two telephone. First was passed. The second interviewer was rude and bad in English. He was cutting through any explanation and was not even listening to the person sitting on the phone with basic courtesy.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.