Zillow Interview Questions | Glassdoor.sg

Zillow Interview Questions

Interviews at Zillow

2.9

Partner Success Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Zillow in November 2020.

Interview

The interview process at Zillow was the most seamless interview process I've ever had!. The recruiter I worked with, Jen, was amazing and so communicative at every step of the process, which I truly appreciated. The first round was a screening call with her, and then 4 interviews with the hiring manager and three other people on the team. Everyone I met was so warm and friendly and genuinely interested in my career and experience. The entire process took about three-ish weeks and I ended up taking another offer solely because I wanted some experience at a startup company. That being said, I cannot thank Jen and the Zillow team enough for the experience and what a great impression they left on me.

Interview Questions

• Walk me through your resume
      Tell me about a time you had to change a clients mind?   Answer Question

25 Nov 2020 – VP, Recruiting

Thank you for sharing your interview experience! It's great to to hear that the interview process was seamless. Good luck with your new role! If you would like to share more, you can contact me at annie@zillowgroup.com. -Annie Rihn, VP of Recruiting

data science internship Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Zillow.

Interview

Applied online. Had first 1 hour technical/behavioral interview. 2 SQL questions + behavioral questions. Then got sent take home exercise. The exercise took hours since they wanted you to create your own dataset, make sense of the ask, and make a presentation for professional stakeholders. the document sent that explained the exercise had typos, wasn't clear, and seemed rushed. Then, two days later got a rejection email with no feedback. If you expect the applicants to all spend hours and days on the exercise, the least they could do is give feedback. Waste of my time.

Interview Questions

• Data exercise asking if they should choose per lead or flat rate model.   Answer Question

13 Oct 2020 – VP, Recruiting

Hello and thank you for your feedback. We strive to ensure positive candidate experiences throughout the interview process. We apologize that your experience was less than satisfactory, we will work to ensure the instructions are clear and free from error in the future. It is our policy not to provide direct candidate feedback to ensure future candidates cannot find information about the exercise that would give them an unfair advantage in the process. We want all candidates to have an equitable experience. We wish you the best of luck in your internship search. If you would like to share more, you can contact me directly at annie@zillowgroup.com. -Annie Rihn, VP of Recruiting

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Zillow.

Interview

Recruiter reached out
    Had a call with the recruiter followed by a phone interview
    Then had a 5 hour virtual onsite

I repeatedly asked the interviewer for prep details
    He sent me a list of topics to be discussed which contained data structures, infrastructure, producers, consumers
    In the onsite, I was asked none of these things. The interview was largely behavioral and all of the technical questions lasted for 5 - 10 minutes.
    The interviews felt largely unstructured as if the team didn't know what to ask.
    The vagueness in the questions was absolutely baffling. I was still able to solve almost all the questions and felt that I did well. I was asked literally nothing about infrastructure and ended up being quizzed on SQL which I am pretty comfortable with.

Towards the end of the interview, the hiring manager and recruiter told me that there were other candidates in the pipeline that they were considering and would let me know by next week even though I told them that I was on a tough deadline. It seemed like they already had someone else in mind. Out of 2 roles - one got filled internally and I was interviewing for the other on. Why waste someone's time if you already have a suitable candidate for the job?

The next day the recruiter didn't even call me and left me a voicemail saying that they decided to move on with somebody else. I reached out to him for feedback but he didn't even respond. Completely unprofessional with absolute disregard for someone else's time.

This process proved to be a waste of my time. The recruiter didn't know how to do his job and after meeting with this team, I was surprised to see how Zillow even has a working product because their way of working seemed more unstructured than a school project, The manager told me that they had no deadlines, no dates and even if someone doesn't ship out code, it's fine as the company won't go down.

I wouldn't make the same mistake of applying to this company again.

Interview Questions

• Mostly behavioral
      SQL with join and case statements
      Asked me to code in Java. I said I knew python. The interviewer asked me to show some syntax like creating an array of strings, adding elements, creating a singly linked list, inserting an element in a linked list with O(1). When I created a Linked list data structure in O(n) insertion. He asked me to change it to O(1) with almost no time remaining and then told me that I was supposed to think about DLL. The interviewer, it seemed, did not understand that DLL is a completely different data structure and we should have started with that from the very beginning if that was our objective in the first place.   Answer Question

8 Oct 2020 – VP, Recruiting

Thank you for your feedback. Our goal is always to do what we can to support candidates in the interview process and set them up for success. It sounds like we let you down. If you are open to it, I’d love to connect with you to get more specifics and even dig into the feedback from your interview to see if there are coaching opportunities for this interviewer, and to see if there is opportunity for another conversation based on reviewing the feedback – that is if you are still willing. You can reach me at annie@zillowgroup.com. Regardless of outcome, I very much appreciate the time you took to give clear and well thought out feedback on your experience. -Annie Rihn, VP of Recruiting

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Zillow in October 2020.

Interview

I got 4 days notice for my first interview and the two days option to choose from. I login into hankerRanks and await as my interview joins me. He (assuming from his voice) didn't turn his camera on, so i never get to see the face. which kind of puts me on guard a little. He asked me a problem and said i didn't need to compile. I felt stupid because i really couldn't understand what exactly he was asking me. He was patient with me but NOT friendly at all (I was okay with that). he was quiet as i was thinking out loud the solution. he will respond only when i ask.

Interview Questions

• Coding problem, i have never seen before (maybe leetcode easy/medium).
      one behavioral question towards the end.
      asked about me at the beginning.   1 Answer

8 Oct 2020 – VP, Recruiting

Thank you for your feedback. Our top priority is to support candidates in the interview process and set them up for success. Navigating the new experience of virtual interviews isn’t without its technical challenges, and it looks like we fell short with your experience. We appreciate your clear and thorough feedback and we will strive to do better in the future. -Annie Rihn, VP of Recruiting

Talent Acquisition Director Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Zillow in October 2020.

Interview

I came into the process through a connection, and was connected to the executive recruiting team for first round calls. The process took approximately 6 weeks.

Every bit of the recruiting process at Zillow felt polished. I was asked to donate on behalf of a charity during my first round, and given a gift option on my second round of interviews (I chose a phone tripod, which arrived before my third round!). Interviewers were crisp on their focus areas - not just in TA, also the business leaders. They asked behavior based questions, but many interviewers added in a conversational style to make the interviews more fun.

While I ultimately chose a different offer prior to the final decision, I would be delighted to join the Zillow team in the future, and would highly recommend the team to others. Thank you Zillow!

Interview Questions

• Questions were based on experience, leadership style, etc.   Answer Question

19 Oct 2020 – VP, Recruiting

Thank you for taking the time to share your interview experience! I'm glad to hear you had a positive experience with us. Good luck with your new role! If you would like to share any additional details, you can contact me at annie@zillowgroup.com. -Annie Rihn, VP of Recruiting

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Very smooth and straight forward, applied and time between first and second round was literally a few days. Interviewers were all kind and talked brightly about work at zillow. 10/10 one of the smoothest processes I have gone through in terms of recruitment .

Interview Questions

Zillow Response

2 Oct 2020 – VP, Recruiting

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience! It’s great to hear that the recruiting process was smooth. Feel free to reach out to me directly if you'd like to share anything additional about your interview experience at annie@zillowgroup.com. -Annie Rihn, VP of Recruiting

Business Operations Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Zillow (New York, NY (US)) in October 2020.

Interview

I originally applied for the Business Operations Rotational Associate role through my University's careers site. I received an invitation to schedule a first round phone interview within a week (early September). The first round involved a 30 minute phone interview with a recruiter covering pretty basic stuff including a
    resume review and a few common behavioral interview questions related to Zillow's core-values. The second round took place later in the same week and involved a 30 minute video interview with the program's hiring manager which once again consisted of pretty basic behavioral questions. The final round took place the following week and consisted of four back-to-back video interviews with current and former Rotational Associates and more senior managers. Three of the interviews were mostly behavioral with some questions to test your on-the-spot thinking. The fourth interview involved presenting solutions to a business case / problem that was provided to the candidate ahead of the interview. All of the interviews at all stages left time for the candidate to ask questions to the interviewers. After the final round, the recruiter said to expect to hear back within a week but ended up calling a few hours after the final round with an offer.

Overall, I had a fantastic experience recruiting with Zillow for this role! The recruiter provider excellent insight into the interview steps, structure, and timeline from the very beginning of the process. The interviewers were very clear about when to expect to hear back after each round which was usually only 1-2 days. Additionally, I had another offer with a deadline and the recruiter was very helpful in expediting the process around my deadline. I have nothing but good things to say about my experience with Zillow and only ended up taking my other offer due to timing.

I would recommend candidates really review Zillow Group's mission, core values, and business model to prepare for the interviews.

Interview Questions

• Most impactful experience on your resume?   1 Answer
    • Time people looked to you as a leader?   1 Answer

23 Oct 2020 – VP, Recruiting

Thank you for sharing your interview experience! I'm glad to hear that everything went smoothly. Feel free to reach out at annie@zillowgroup.com if you'd like to discuss any further. -Annie Rihn, VP of Recruiting

Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Zillow (Seattle, WA (US)) in October 2020.

Interview

The interview process took over 1 month during which time I declined offers from other employers as I was receiving very promising feedback from Zillow. I had 5 interviews with 7 different people and was informed I would be a good fit in a couple of different positions. All the interviews were conducted over Zoom and telephone. The interviewers seemed very interested in my diverse work and educational background and expressed a very strong need for someone with my skill set and experience. Everyone I spoke with was very friendly and respectful.

The recruiters I worked with were very responsive and communicative throughout the process. I could not have asked for anything more from the recruiters. They were outstanding.

The questions were largely based on experience, my resume, and behavioral.

I unfortunately was not offered either position which was a massive disappointment after receiving such promising feedback throughout the process and declining other lucrative offers. Zillow was my top choice for an employment opportunity and I felt I would be a strong fit based on their stated needs and feedback.

I recommend that the company focus more on hiring people with different work experiences than what the interviewers possess. Limiting hiring to prospective employees who can check certain boxes (e.g. public accounting experience) creates an atmosphere of conducting business with a same as last year approach and works against the stated goals of the business area and company.

I would interview with Zillow again if given the opportunity as the experience was very positive and enjoyable regardless of the outcome.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you failed at something before succeeding at the task.   Answer Question

2 Nov 2020 – VP, Recruiting

Thank you for taking the time to provide detailed feedback on your interview experience. I'm glad to hear that you would interview with us again, we hope you do! If you would like to share any additional feedback, please reach me at annie@zillowgroup.com -Annie Rihn, VP of Recruiting

Data Science Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Zillow in October 2020.

Interview

It would be 1hr:
    5 Minutes Meet your interviewer and review your experience on your resume
    40 Minutes SQL and Unstructured Problem Solving Questions
    10 Minutes Behavioral/Situational Questions correlated to our core values
    5 Minutes Candidate Questions for Interviewer

Interview Questions

Zillow Response

28 Oct 2020 – VP, Recruiting

Thanks for sharing your feedback! If you would like to discuss further, you can contact me at annie@zillowgroup.com. -Annie Rihn, VP of Recruiting

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Zillow in October 2020.

Interview

The response and set up is very efficient. The HRs and interviewers are very kind and patient to lead through the interview questions. The interview process overall gave me a very good impression on the company.

Interview Questions

• How do you do when you find you co-worker made a mistake?   1 Answer

25 Nov 2020 – VP, Recruiting

Congratulations on your offer and welcome to Zillow! Thank you for sharing your interview experience with us. If you would like to discuss anything further, you can contact me at annie@zillowgroup.com. -Annie Rihn, VP of Recruiting

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.