Artsy Employee Reviews about "art world"

Updated Dec 7, 2020

Found 12 of over 109 reviews

4.7
Artsy CEO Mike Steib
Mike Steib
Pros
  • "Interesting work that is making an impact in the art world(in 9 reviews)

• "artsy's(in 9 reviews)

• Cons
  • "There was very little respect when it came to work-life balance(in 6 reviews)

• "The art world is maddeningly old-school, and so any time Artsy introduces a new tool or service, it's met with a lot inertia and protests(in 5 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "art world"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 2.0
      Former Employee

Hot mess

Dec 7, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

You get to work with some really talented people who are passionate about the art world. (However, most of those people left... the company is now run by a bunch of corporate hypocrites who know nothing about art)

Cons

no work-life balance no job security clear favoritism within the org comp significantly below industry average

9 people found this review helpful
    2. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Given the chance, I would do it all over again

Oct 3, 2019 - Account Manager in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

First, I'll start by saying that I was among the employees that was laid off in September 2019. Of course it was stressful and disappointing to hear, but that doesn't change my opinion that Artsy is a great place to work with the best team that you could ask for. Artsy is a very mission-focused company that's working to reshape the art world and make it more equitable and accessible to everyone, which can be extremely gratifying work. I was always encouraged and allowed to be innovative in my role and to try out new things – I was never told that there was only one right way to do things, which gave me the opportunity to make meaningful contributions to team strategy. I've read some disparaging comments from current team members about leadership and the layoffs, but I would say that really speaks to how much this team cares for each other. If you're considering working at Artsy, please do it: it's a great opportunity to work in an interesting field doing meaningful work with a friendly, close-knit and supportive team. If I could go back in time, I wouldn't change a thing and I'd do it all over again!

Cons

The art world is maddeningly old-school, and so any time Artsy introduces a new tool or service, it's met with a lot inertia and protests. Having to deal with that can be really frustrating and taxing, but it does make the wins all the more exciting. Artsy also made a major switch in direction this year towards true e-commerce, and working in such a changing environment can be really stressful.

7 people found this review helpful
    3. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Unique company full of smart, passionate, collaborative people

Jul 22, 2019 - Director of Marketing in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Extremely collaborative -People are kind and thoughtful, even in their disagreements -HR/People Ops cares about and is available to employees -Work/Life balance is respected and encouraged -Happy, calm, positive work space with nice setting/food/etc (nice perks) -Leadership treats all with respect -People who work there are passionate and smart and nice (a rare combo)

Cons

-Because of the democratic and thoughtful nature of the roles/teams and company values, it can take a long time for decisions to be made and sometimes feels like conversations go in circles and have too many voices/stakeholders which stops things from moving forward -There were not a lot of people/perspectives from outside of the art world when I was there so sometimes felt like people were out of touch with general industries/larger perspective -Company is still figuring out exactly what they want to be which can lead to ambiguity and internal confusion but I think in the end is promising if you can stick out the process of evolution

Continue reading
      Be the first to find this review helpful
    4. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Artsy is Great!

Jan 23, 2019 - Gallery Manager in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Really talented and innovative teams. a wealth of resources, great open and accessible leadership that pushes teammates to consider big picture career goals, opportunity for some travel, opportunity for educational investment, clearly strategized and laid out career plan, regular check-ins and connecting times with executive team, opportunities to apply expertise toward company goals and product improvements, snacks/weekly meals are healthy and awesome, and monthly opportunities to network with other leaders in the art and tech world.

Cons

The art world is filled with somewhat unpredictable clients who can have a hard time understanding technology and online marketplaces as a necessary business cost.

3 people found this review helpful
    5. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Wonderful place to work!

Nov 29, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Amazing people who are caring, thoughtful and generous. Interesting work that is making an impact in the art world. A leadership team that really does care. An open space where ideas and feedback are welcome.

Cons

Like many startups lots of manual processes, there is definitely room to add systems and improve workflows for efficiency...but they are already starting work on these things so I'm optimistic that a year from now we'll see tremendous strides.

3 people found this review helpful
    6. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

A shadow of its former self

May 21, 2018 - Collector Relations
      Business Outlook

Pros

Compared to other companies in the art world, Artsy is hands down the best. Many talented and kind people work here, there's "unlimited" PTO, free snacks, and the views are brag-worthy. On paper Artsy is innovative (there's more of a priority on tech than anywhere else in the art world) and the mission is inspiring. The art world has moved online, and Artsy has led that change. There has been a concerted effort to hire people with real experience over the past two years, which is great. On top of that, the Office Experience team is earnestly trying to make the office space better.

Cons

Hoping to work at a fast-paced startup? Artsy is fast in all the wrong ways. Inexperienced leadership diverts resources inefficiently and fails to recognize talent unless it's under the umbrella of a pet project. The politics of this cult takes years off your life, preys on the idealistic with low pay, and still is trying to figure out how to grow into a profitable business. Expect a limited lifespan at Artsy, especially if you're looking for career growth or have no patience for petulant nonsense. Not only is communication completely siloed between teams, but advancement upwards remains a bit of a mystery. Managers are bosses on paper. They hold little sway when it comes to promotion or opportunities for career development. Compensation is opaque, yet somehow non-negotiable, putting managers in a difficult position with their reports. Our CEO once referred to "work life balance" as "work life integration," which means I don't even need to tell you that most employees don't take time off.

14 people found this review helpful

Director of People

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts - we appreciate feedback in any channel we receive it. I'm personally very sorry to hear you're finding your time at Artsy so challenging for all the ways you describe. Our goal is to encourage openness and transparency in all we do, and to offer our team members (and managers) the flexibility, ownership, and context to make best decisions in their roles and for their teams. It sounds like your experience is not reflect with this at all. I'd be happy to address some or all of the issues you raise in person - confidentially and anonymously - if you would like to reach out (of course, feel free to do so without referencing this review in any way). For example, I'd love to walk you through how we benchmark competitive compensation for roles at Artsy, to hear your more specific frustrations for how our teams could communicate better, and to better understand what obstacles we can tackle that keep you from using our open time-off policy. I sincerely hope to hear from you so that we can directly address your concerns. As a fast-growing and evolving start-up, I'm sure there are areas we can improve - so even if we don't get to address these issues together, I'll certainly be on the look out for them across the organization. Thank you again for sharing your thoughts.

7. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Best place to work in the art world

May 3, 2016 -  in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

As an art history graduate and someone who always planned to work in the art world, I am so grateful to have had the chance to work at Artsy. I was seeking something faster-paced than a museum or gallery role, and less corporate than an auction house, and Artsy offers a really unique combination of deep involvement within the art world and a fast-moving tech company. I've never had the chance to work with such inspiring and intelligent teammates, and I was constantly amazed by the art expertise of our engineers, and vice versa, the technical savvy of our arts team. I grew tremendously in my time at Artsy, both personally and professionally, and I would highly recommend Artsy to those looking for fast and transformative professional growth.

Cons

While I personally had an incredibly rewarding experience at Artsy, the fast pace, demanding workload, and high degree of independence (and initiative required to succeed) isn't for everyone.

2 people found this review helpful
    8. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Ups and downs

Nov 23, 2015 - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

It's easy to see why Artsy's reviews on here are so positive. Lovely office, "fun" startup culture with lots of perks (happy hours, retreats, snacks, ping pong, etc.), fast-paced environment, lots of smart and talented people. Artsy is a cool idea in theory and has created an excellent brand for itself. Compared to most places you might find in the art world, Artsy also pays pretty well and is less bureaucratic. I would imagine if you are on the tech/design side, it's pretty comparable to a lot of the other top tech startups in NYC.

Cons

• "Culture fit" seemed like a way to hire fairly narrowly and resulted in not much staff diversity. • Work/life balance is frowned upon. High pressure to work late and socialize with coworkers. • It may have changed since I worked there, but the relatively "flat" organizational structure made for fairly disorganized workflow, lack of a clear career advancement path, and lots of meetings and emails that were just too long and unwieldy. • Lack of clear business model and/or transparency around how the business was actually performing. • Developers and designers were treated like gods, while those on other teams worked just as hard if not harder and weren't rewarded as much.

14 people found this review helpful

CEO

Thanks for this thoughtful feedback and for everything you've contributed to Artsy. You've identified several areas where we can improve: Regarding culture fit, we've included in our recruiting playbook and in emails to the team that culture fit is explicitly defined by our company values and we've taken steps company-wide to increase awareness of unconscious bias and improve the diversity of our hiring pipeline. There's a long way for us to go and a lot more to discuss on this important topic, but in short we consider diversity inherent to Artsy's mission of making art accessible to anyone with an Internet connection and we're spending energy to ensure that the diversity of our team reflects the diversity of the global population we seek to serve. Regarding organizational structure and career advancement, this is another area that we've been investing in as we grow by rolling out a more well-defined team structure and career path for many of the arts teams at Artsy. We also provide regular updates on key metrics and share board decks with the entire team to create more transparency around business performance; and we're moving towards more frequent all-hands meetings to ensure high-level business context is shared more regularly. I regret that you felt as though designers and engineers are treated differently from arts team members. Consistent with our 'Art x Science' value we believe that every member of Artsy's team is critical to our success and do our best to foster a collaborative environment where everyone feels like an included and respected member of our team. Clearly there's more we can be doing on this front as well. If you have any more specific feedback here, we'd be grateful to hear more. Feel free to reach out to me directly or anyone else on the team. Thank you again for your feedback and your contribution to Artsy–we wish you the best. -Carter

9. 4.0
      Current Employee

New wind in the Art World - What does it mean to "fit" a culture?

Sep 25, 2015 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Artsy is a great place to be as a young professional in the (commercial) art world because of its unique position as a focal point for all parts of this world from museums and galleries to art fairs and auctions. Having interned at several major museums in the US and in France, the responsiveness, intelligence, and generally ambitious attitude of my colleagues is both refreshing and inspiring. People get things done. In addition to that, Artsy is a tech company providing digital platforms and technology-centered services. As such, anyone on the Art side of the company will have the opportunity to work and become familiar with people/skills/mindsets that are generally hard to come across in an organic way at large institutions, commercial galleries, or auction houses, which, for the most part, are quite antiquated in their (often belated) adoption of technology and software that have been available for years in other industries. Quite frankly, in an industry that treats its interns and junior level employees in a manner that doesn't always appreciate, acknowledge, or leverage their aptitude and hard work, it's extremely refreshing to be taken seriously and be given responsibilities that make coming to work both worthwhile and meaningful. This kind of environment makes Artsy uniquely appealing for anyone looking to explore options or perhaps change tracks in an arts profession.

Cons

People are generally friendly, warm, and easy to talk to/get to know, criteria that constitute a large portion of whether someone is considered "fitting" or not to Artsy's culture. Though I genuinely enjoy the work environment, this can sometimes feel artificial and overly emphasized, leading to pressure to be sociable in a conspicuous way (e.g., attending weekly Happy Hours, being present at weekly Team Lunches, etc.) rather than in intimate, perhaps more meaningful ways with co-workers. Since the company is still small and really values the feeling of being at home at the office, the work/private life balance is a bit blurred, and not always in the best ways. Maybe it's my old soul talking, but that distinction can be important especially as the company grows and we have a more diverse group of people with differing tastes for interaction.

6 people found this review helpful
    10. 5.0
      Former Employee

Incredibly rewarding internship

Sep 2, 2015 - Product Intern in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

For context, I am an Applied Math and Economics concentrator who interned on Artsy's Product Team summer of 2015. While my focus was data analytics, I was able to experience many other areas of product, including project management and design. My experience was overwhelmingly positive for three umbrella reasons: People: "People are paramount" – this is one of Artsy's five company values and the one that emerged as the most prominent to me over the course of the summer. From the (long and in-depth) hiring process, to the monthly check-ins, to the general brilliance of all Artsy staff, I found myself excited to come to work each morning, inspired to learn from my coworkers through TEDtalks, team discussions on diversity, and staff-led coding classes. Culture: Office perks, corporate retreats, catered lunches, weekly happy hours, and an entire team dedicated to office experience all point to the considerable amount of time that Artsy has dedicated to thinking about its culture, values, and how to scale them as the company grows (it's tripled each year at this point). The Artsy koolaid is potent. Responsibility: Saving the best for last, I was given a startling amount of responsibility as an intern. I took on product research, feature proposals, the implementation of new analytics tools, and data analysis/support for all teams. Perhaps this was simply good timing on my part, entering Artsy at a moment of tremendous growth, but I'd argue that Artsy is the type of place that encourages people to take on new, challenging roles and responsibilities and grow into them.

Cons

I have little constructive feedback for Artsy. I recommend all applicants to ask lots of questions about the different teams at Artsy prior to choosing one – the internship is not rotational, so once you're on a team, you'll be working with them for the duration of the summer. Additionally, as the company is still young, onboarding materials within teams are not fully fleshed out, likely a function of new teams constantly forming and restructuring. It will take some self-motivation and initiative to become fully oriented. If you are not already familiar with the key players and structural institutions of the art world, I'd suggest a bit of independent research prior to joining (although as a non-art major, I can attest that you will never be shamed at Artsy for lack of art world knowledge).

5 people found this review helpful

People Operations Associate

Thanks for your review! We're happy to hear you had a rewarding experience during your summer with Artsy. One of the goals we aim for with all employees is to give everyone a lot of freedom and a lot of responsibility, since this lets people do their best work, and it's great to hear that you felt this. Sometimes, though, a lot of freedom can mean ambiguity, and we really appreciate your feedback about onboarding. We are always looking for ways to build out this process, and will work with Artsy's various teams to develop a consistent and robust set of helpful materials to new team members. If you have additional thoughts about how we can continue to improve here, please don't hesitate to reach out to the People Ops Team.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 12 Reviews