Auto Trader UK Reviews

Updated 29 May 2020

4.5
Auto Trader UK Chief Executive Officer Nathan Coe
Nathan Coe
Pros
  • "Great working environment, all the tools needed to succeed(in 32 reviews)

• "The above together with the great offices and lots of great people make AT the best company I’ve worked for(in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • "The company is rather fast paced(in 25 reviews)

• "The location (central Manchester) wasn't right for me, but of course that will not be a problem for everyone(in 13 reviews)

1. "Incredible company"

Current Employee - Graduate

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Incredibly inclusive working conditions and accessible for all including those with disabilities and neurodiverse conditions - Flexible working environment, understanding of any personal issues - Flat hierarchy structure and hot desking system which creates a casual environment - Loads of benefits - Always open to criticism and continuing to change when necessary - Working groups and networks for people to fundraise for causes they care about - Offices in both Manchester and London meaning that there are often opportunities to travel between the two (could be a con for some people but I enjoy it)

Cons

- Can't think of any to report on!

Auto Trader UK2020-05-29
  2. "A great supportive culture, in a dynamic and fast-paced company"

Current Employee - Communications Director in London, England

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

It's a highly dynamic and collaborative company that fosters true autonomy and responsibility. It acknowledges your skill sets and allows you to develop in a plethora of ways.

Cons

It's extremely fast paced and decisions change constantly, which can be hard for some to manage. But it does mean things get done and the business is constantly moving forwards.

Auto Trader UK2020-04-17

April 22, 2020Head of People and Culture

Thank you for your review. We have brilliant people in our teams and trusting them with autonomy and responsibility comes easy. Moving fast and not being afraid to pivot has been key to our success and allows us to keep moving. Glad to hear you are enjoying your time working with us.

"Great company with a truly collaborative culture"

Current Employee - Resourcing Partner in Manchester, England

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time for less than a year

Pros

The people are great, and not just within the immediate team you work in. Everyone I've spoken to have been very warm, approachable and supportive. The onboarding process is very slick so you're pretty much set up and good to go on your first day. The work is interesting and varied plus you get a true feeling that everyone here is very values driven. It's more than just words here. The biggest thing I would say is you quickly get a sense of how important collaboration is and how much AT prides itself on building such a fantastic culture where people can truly thrive. It's our biggest strength by far and what has really struck me is how this momentum has been continuing over the past few weeks given the corona virus outbreak. I've seen us adapt with relative ease to our new situation and our sense of community has been stronger than ever - whether it's constant comms from our senior leadership offering flexibility and understanding, or the multiple slack channels about what we had for breakfast, pictures with kids or daily workout routines. What should be an extremely tough time for us has been made easier by reassurance from the top along with a real community spirit across everyone here.

Cons

Things can change here quickly - which is good because it keeps things varied and fresh but if you like absolute structure and predictability then it is likely that it'll take you time to adapt. For me personally I found it took me longer than I would have liked to get my head around the structure here (who works where, how teams are set up, who leads who etc) which I did find frustrating initially because I like to know everything (!) but during my 4th month here things started to click and it makes a lot more sense now. Word of advice, just ask people about themselves and what they do and it'll start filling in the gaps. As mentioned right at the top, everyone here is very warm and approachable!

Auto Trader UK2020-03-30

April 22, 2020Head of People and Culture

Thank you for your review and good to hear you had such a welcoming and smooth onboarding experience when you joined us. Sometimes our flexible structure and collaborative approach can be be challenging to navigate through but our people are always happy to help. During the current crisis it is really heart warming to see how our work community has come together to support each other as well as our customers.

4. "Fabulous"

Current Employee - Resourcing Advisor in Manchester, England

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time for less than a year

Pros

- People - a bunch of amazingly talented people who look after each other - Culture - a culture of learning, community, wellbeing, and belonging - Values - are lived and breathed by everyone - Management - truly care for colleagues, our customers and our community - Hierarchy - or lack thereof. Everyone is approachable for a chat including senior leaders - Development - a clear and individual development path, and support from your manager to get there - Tech - super efficient technology that allows you to do your job better - Office - really cool offices :)

Cons

It can be very fast paced at Auto Trader and things can change pretty quickly, but it's exciting and you will soon get used to it and see this as a pro.

Auto Trader UK2020-03-19

March 28, 2020Head of People and Culture

Thank you for your review and great to hear that you are enjoying your first year working with us. Your list of "Pros" is a brilliant summary of what makes our business so special. Fast paced can be exciting but we always try to find time to relax as well.

5. "The best company to work for, bar none"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Manchester, England

I worked at Auto Trader UK full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Probably the best job I've ever had. I left about 12 months ago, and now regret that decision - despite getting a big pay rise with the move. - I learnt a lot and it has set me in good stead for the current role I'm about to leave, and my next role. This is because of some very talented devs there. - Everyone cares about the code - ... as a result, all of the code bases are nice to work with. - Very good benefits package.

Cons

- Not the best payers. i.e. I left and got 10k extra elsewhere. - Hard to get promoted. i.e. From when I started, there was one mid-level developer I looked up to, who absolutely should have been a senior dev. He eventually got this promotion about 2 years later. Another guy in my team was also frustrated at not getting a promotion. - There was one manager in particular who was intimidating, unapproachable, etc. He had a reputation for it with a lot of people, but nothing ever got done about this. At one point when I was there, the company went through a big restructure. My previous team had a really good rapport with each other - things were never quite the same after the restructure. This is why I eventually left (but in hindsight, things were still better than they are now at my current job).

Auto Trader UK2020-03-16

March 28, 2020Head of People and Culture

"The best company to work for"; couldn't agree more. Glad to hear that your learnings from your time with us put you in good stead in your other roles. We feel our cash element of our reward is competitive and on top of that working at Auto Trader provides you with all the benefits you summarised so well. Thank you for your review and good luck with your next role you are about to start.

6. "This is NOT a consultative sales role, it's a customer service role in a call centre environment."

1.0
    Former Employee - Account Manager

I worked at Auto Trader UK full-time for less than a year

Pros

Nice offices / friendly people

Cons

Sold into a AM role that was shocking. The team were trained on how to manage getting abuse thrown at them day in day out. In the time I was there I witnessed 6 people cry due to the horrible abuse they endured from the dealers. This job isn't for the faint hearted. The environment is more like a call centre, and the role is not a 'consultative' sales role. Don't be sold into the 'Digital Transformation' job spec, you spend your time on the inbound line picking up admin tasks for angry dealers. You also have talk time and inbound KPI's to hit (call centre style). The accounts are only tied into a 30 day contract which means that the customers are highly volatile and majority of your time will be spent fire fighting and trying to retain accounts rather than growing them. I was given an account base where over 70% of the customers wanted to cancel due to poor performance and cost and they had no contact for the past year or so. Alot of the time they refused to speak with me due to the frustration they felt that no one had been in contact and the lack of ROI they were getting from the platform. The targets you have to meet and the customer base you're given don't go hand in hand. If you're ready to spend your next career move educating the customers on what's defined as abuse and overstepping the mark this is the role for you. The fact that they have been neglected for so long does not make the sittuation any easier when they are spending alot of money for not alot of return. Half the team work super hard and the other half take it easy. Some have been there for a long time so they are treated differently by management (even if they aren't performing well). This makes some of the team members highly frustrated which causes tension. There is a high churn rate in the sales team which isn't great for moral, majority of these new members are individuals who've been miss sold the role and and up leaving within a couple of months. It also looked like alot of the long serving members of staff were promised promotions but management just wouldn't follow through - false promises and a lack of career progression hence why I got out as soon as I could.

Auto Trader UK2020-04-21

May 18, 2020Head of People and Culture

Thank you for your review. Good to hear you enjoyed working in our offices with friendly colleagues. I am sorry that you feel your overall experience wasn't up to the standard that we aspire to. Will try to address the points you have raised but if you like to discuss anything further email me at recruitment@autotrader.co.uk. Account Managers form strong relationships with customers and aim to build sustainable partnerships with them. Colleague well-being is always our key priority and we don't expect anybody to accept any form of abuse. At times they have to deal with customers who are irate and we provide them with support from their people leaders, colleagues and coaches. As the current crisis has evidenced Auto Trader is here to support the automotive industry and retain customer partnerships as opposed to having short term targets. Regarding high churn and new recruits leaving within months; that is not the case at all as we have a considerably high retention rate across all our teams including our Account Managers who enjoy long careers and progress in different roles not only in sales but across other departments. Our recruitment process is carefully designed to give you a realistic job preview so you can make an informed choice about joining us. You will remember that you did a role play as part of the assessment where you had to deal with a challenging customer as well as speaking to a current Account Manager who gave you a view of their day to day life at work. Also none of our HR team gets commission for any placements, their key objective is to provide good candidate experience and help choose the best people to join our business. I have shared your advice with them and we have explored it together in detail so thanks again for taking the time to provide us with feedback.

7. "Great company to work for with a fantastic culture and incredibly talented people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time for less than a year

Pros

Genuinely positive work environment, where people are willing to pitch in when needed. Great offices in both London and Manchester. The company has a lot of incredibly talented individuals to learn from. With the talent Auto Trader has, there is a lot of innovative and interesting work going on. There is a sense that senior management really care about its people and are always willing to listen to them. Salaries and benefits are excellent.

Cons

It can take time to learn the Auto Trader way of doing things and you are expected to learn quickly due to the fast paced nature of the company. Prioritisation, as with most companies, can be especially challenging at Auto Trader. Finding a coffee mug in the Manchester office past 11am can be difficult :)

Auto Trader UK2020-02-12

February 15, 2020Head of People and Culture

Many thanks for your review and great to hear you are enjoying your first year with Auto Trader. We got talented people in two great offices, get involved in innovative work and have some more great benefits. Our business is unique and we appreciate it is a challenge to learn the way we do things but hopefully like you say having supportive colleagues helps. The new coffee machines serving delicious coffees might have possibly created a mug issue so we will have to look into that.

8. "Great company"

Current Employee - IT Engineer in Manchester, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

good salary, great benefits and a very ethical company

Cons

some managers are not good at managing

Auto Trader UK2020-02-04

February 6, 2020Head of People and Culture

Thank you for your review. We take our responsibilities as a company in our industries and communities seriously and our values and ethics guide everything we do. Sorry to hear that your experience with managers has not been what we expect. I would encourage you to speak to them and share your feedback or you can always come and speak to a member of the People team.

9. "Driving conversion through functional design at Auto Trader"

Current Employee - Principal Product Designer in London, England

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time for less than a year

Pros

Modern office, good environment, colleagues are very helpful.

Cons

Nothing I can think off.

Auto Trader UK2020-01-31

February 3, 2020Head of People and Culture

Thank you for your review. Glad you are enjoying our office environment and the time with your colleagues. Good luck with the rest of your AT journey in years to come

10. "Brilliant company"

4.0
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Manchester, England

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people are brilliant The benefits and choices of extras are great Salary, can't really complain. Feels right with no commission

Cons

Always wants more but is a constant theme

Auto Trader UK2020-02-12

February 15, 2020Head of People and Culture

Thank you for your review and I couldn't agree more; our people are just brilliant. We constantly strive for more and that is key to our success but we should always remember to take time to reflect and relax. Hopefully our new increased holidays allowance this year for everybody will come in handy.

Found 285 reviews