Black Marketing Reviews

Updated Sep 20, 2021

Found 17 of over 23 reviews

2.9
Black Marketing Founder and CEO Chris J Reed (no image)
Chris J Reed
  1. 5.0

Great exposure and opportunities

Aug 27, 2017 - Account Director in Singapore
    Business Outlook

Pros

I was with Black Marketing for close to 2 years and the journey there is nothing short of amazing. I started off as a junior executive and had been given great opportunities to grow within the company. The team at BM is really awesome! Though the work can be really stressful and challenging, it is the team that continues on to motivate each other and get each other to keep going on. The amount of exposure and liberty to be creative is something that I am really grateful for when I was at BM. Chris (CEO) trusts us a lot to allow us to manage our responsibilities independently and that is not something that you can always have at any other company. I have had the privilege of working under Chris at Black Marketing for almost 2 years. Chris is a really cool and great boss to work with. I mean, what could be cooler than having a CEO that has a stylish mohawk and joins the team for team bonding activities such as laser tag games. I'm definitely going to miss having all the fun at BM. The amount of exposure and liberty to be creative is something that I am really grateful for when I was at BM. Chris trusts us a lot to allow us to manage our responsibilities independently and that is not something that you can always have at any other company. I have learnt a lot from Chris and will always be thankful for the opportunities given. If you are reading this and looking for a job that is fun, exciting and challenging. Black Marketing is definitely the right place for you. The amount of exposure and liberty to be creative is something that I am really grateful for when I was at BM. Chris trusts us a lot to allow us to manage our responsibilities independently and that is not something that you can always have at any other company. If you are reading this and looking for a job that is fun, exciting and challenging. Black Marketing is definitely the right place for you.

Cons

The job and tasks at Black Marketing can be pretty challenging. If you are someone who is unable to handle stress, deadlines and responsibilities well. I feel that this might not be something for you.

48 people found this review helpful
  2. 1.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Same problems with owner, different batches of talented individuals

Sep 20, 2021 - Account Manager in Singapore
    Business Outlook

Pros

The awesome people I used to work with.

Cons

The owner himself. That sums it up.

1 person found this review helpful
  3. 1.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Black Marketing: an honest chapter

Mar 14, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Safer to put all the content under “cons”

Cons

The boss: A joke. He is not a leader on any grounds. Think he was bullied as a child and is now getting his own back on the worlds. The work: Monotonous. Robotic. Send out 700+ LinkedIn connections a week??! If this is what you want to learn then this is the company for you. The staff: Only good thing about this company. But they won’t stick around if they’re any good. The reviews: The only reason there is a number of positive reviews is because so many staff turnover and your boss will use their account to fraudulently post compliments about himself. Tragic really. The clients: Won’t stick around for longer than 1-2 months. All based overseas (Switzerland etc) because your boss has already upset the majority of Singapore and got a bad rep. Has to get business elsewhere. The pay: Poor. But should arrive on time. Unless you’re fired or let go, then your boss will keep that for himself. The office: Location changes every few months. Guess your boss is continuing to upset people or can no longer afford rental.

12 people found this review helpful
  4. 1.0

Horrific, Shocking, Atrocious

Aug 25, 2019 -
    Business Outlook

Pros

DON'T WORK FOR BLACK MARKETING!

Cons

NEVER! JUST DON'T START OR KNOW THEM. IT IS SO BAD IN SO MANY MANY WAYS. Let's talk about the workload, it is herrendously a great deal of work! Would you like to understand on flexi working hours in Black Marketing? It also means no sleep. Yup, that include your weekends/holiday. What? You think they compensate it WITH HUGE ENORMOUS pay. NOOO! THEY PAY YOU PEANUTS! OMG, Don't let me start on the management and the CEO himself. I'm not sure if the management is doing their job, I know they are just there to have some coffee, video calling their families or whoever at work, have lunch and chill out at the workspace. Talking and laughing with the 'senior management team' and leave for home. Ohh wait, even if we have a Skype call, they will just enter to let the client know their presence and leave. No, they don't have time to sit for the call. What if their coffee gets cold?? And the CEO himself.. Dear god, how do i even put it in words. He writes reviews on himself in Glassdoor. Obviously highlighting what he think he is good at. SO, we have so many ppl leaving black marketing, so he uses all the ex employees email address and create a profile in glassdoor and write about himself. He is just blinded with the manipulative senior management team he hired. And there is no 35 ppl in his team!!! Don't lie. I think it's just 8 of them left now? "A bad management team can take a good staff and destroy it, causing the best employees to flee and the remainder to lose all motivation"

19 people found this review helpful
  5. 1.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Synonyms of Bad

Dec 19, 2018 - Account Executive
    Business Outlook

Pros

Nice co working environment and great colleagues who became friends. (Who also moved on one by one)

Cons

Toxic work life, totally sucks the life out of you. What you're told during interview are utter lies.

14 people found this review helpful
  6. 4.0

Account Manager

Jan 18, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Flexibility - A lot of autonomy - Direct exposure to C-level clients - Trust in ability of staff to get things done their way as long as the targeted outcome is achieved and guidance is provided if staff needs assistance - Great office and team - Opportunity for growth or switch to other agencies within the group to explore other parts of social media marketing and personal branding

Cons

As in any agency, the clients are king and it is fast paced working environment with tight deadlines. Anyone working in this industry should be aware, so no con that is specific to this agency.

47 people found this review helpful
  7. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Don't work for this company

May 19, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

If you like politics and a crazy boss then you'll do well

Cons

- Lack of competent leadership - Lack of empathy - Lack of maturity (boss acts like kid) - No AWS - No shares - Become a manager but end up mashing your own self and not a team - Quantity > quality

24 people found this review helpful
  8. 5.0
    Current Employee

Black Marketing

Jul 28, 2016 -
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Work-life balance - Great atmosphere - No dress code - A lot of autonomy - Pantry well-stocked/ decent coffee Black Marketing is small family-like team. I highly enjoy my coworkers and CEO. Our CEO maintains a fun working environment with great group outings. The office location is very convenient - it has a tunnel to Tanjong Pagar MRT, great food nearby and it's in walking distance to Raffles Place.

Cons

Miscommunication happens, but that's where open communication comes into play - ask questions! Don't be shy. If you follow that, then all will be well.

48 people found this review helpful
  9. 2.0
    Former Employee

Power play, poor management, office politics

Jul 23, 2016 - Anonymous Employee in Singapore
    Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible schedule, no dress code and able to dye outrageous hair colour. Also, you'll learn a lot about LinkedIn, inside and out.

Cons

There is no HR department so you're pretty much screwed if you are want your employment rights. The flexible schedule is a double-edged sword. That means if you have yet to finish all your task, get ready to have sleepless nights. Also, the COO that used to work there loves to blame others, which makes working there undesirable. There has been a lot of restructuring and this causes friction among the team members. FYI, there is NO BONUS.

26 people found this review helpful
  10. 1.0

Falsified Reviews From Management

Jul 26, 2016 - Anonymous in Singapore
    Business Outlook

Pros

The employee is allowed to to wear what they want as the role is not client facing. They are allowed to come in with funky hairstyles as the company believes in attracting attention through eccentricity!

Cons

Coming to the most important part, this is where I would encourage new joiners to focus upon. The pros which I mentioned above are just to sweeten an underlying already rotten deal/ atmosphere! Lets put this very simply and to the point, if you read the reviews on this page you will see that the only one who has written a good review about the company is the CEO himself. This already speaks volumes if the CEO has to convince people outside that the company is good. On a second point regarding his claim that the company is listed on NASDAQ and moved from a $15 million to a $100 million. Firstly, the company which listed on the SWEDISH (not American) nasdaq is not Black Marketing itself, it is a group of companies coming together to list themselves. Secondly, assuming that the company is doing as well as the CEO claims, then there is no point to go public. Going public listed only gives away control of a so claimed "highly profitable" company to the shareholders and thereby also passing the risk on to them and allowing the CEO to cash out of his OWN business, seems strange doesn't it? Now moving on to the more common stuff which have already been mentioned by the others; 1. Salary is below market value 2. Work hours are terrible 3. High attrition rate (Speaks volumes on my 2 major points, above) 4. Erratic behaviour/expectation of the CEO, unfortunately causing middle management to follow suit (cannot blame them) - Anyways now there is no more middle management as most employees have left! Finally, if you see a "good" review hereafter from either a current or former employee, I would not trust it as there is a high chance it is written by the CEO himself using a separate account!

32 people found this review helpful