Close Brothers Employee Reviews about "senior management"

Updated Nov 1, 2021

Found 21 of over 277 reviews

4.0
Close Brothers Chief Executive  Adrian Sainsbury (no image)
Adrian Sainsbury
Pros
  • "Work life balance is good in this(in 28 reviews)

• "Big company with a very good benefits package(in 12 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Favouritism with senior management(in 17 reviews)

• "Working hours flexibility, Career progression,(in 11 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "senior management"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 1.0
      Former Employee

CBAF

Nov 1, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Bonus, good colleagues, new offices.

Cons

No career progression, long hours, no work-life balance, low salary, big responsibility for low pay, senior management are only interested in increasing the book value, sales people are prioritised over everyone else.

4 people found this review helpful
    2. 2.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great company culture, but severely understaffed

Aug 5, 2021 - Talent Acquisition Business Partner in Oslo
      Business Outlook

Pros

Company culture is strong in certain parts of the business resulting in people staying for a number of years A friendly and welcoming team

Cons

Lots of internal politics in reward and promotion Understaffing and poor workforce planning leads to huge workload with little relief Aversion to process change and improvement in most areas of the business Comp sits under market rate Poor communication from senior management

2 people found this review helpful

HR Business Partner

Thank you for providing your feedback, we recognise that work/life balance has a big impact on employee wellbeing, so your comments will be taken seriously.

3. 1.0

Shocking company

May 20, 2021 - New Business in Stockholm, Stockholm
      Business Outlook

Pros

Sweet FA! Nothing to say here. Absolutely rubbish.

Cons

Not willing to listen to suggestions Favouritism with senior management Couldn’t care less about long standing members of staff Really poor pay and no staff recognition

1 person found this review helpful

HR Business Partner

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We really do take all feedback seriously so would encourage you to reach out to your local HR team to talk about your concerns in more detail.

4. 1.0

A company from hell

Mar 14, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

None whatsoever. You may try to find something to hang on to, but there is nothing positive about Close Brothers.

Cons

Top brass is s typical group of white, male, combative individuals, each building their own territory. No strategy, no alignment or communication. Just a bunch of white men challenging each other for the sake of show-off and own ego satisfaction. A state of utter confusion, misscommunication and an air of mistrust perpetually exists in all levels of the firm. Gender bias is rife and women are paid a lot less than men counterparts. A couple of women who made to the top behave just like their male colleagues. HR is particularly useless and remains blind to the cultural issues and open discrimination. HR acts like a puppy to the top brass. Senior management pays lip service to Conduct, D&I and gender bias.

2 people found this review helpful

HR Business Partner

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about your working experience at Close Brothers. We’re sorry that you are not feeling more positive. We’re obviously concerned by your comments regarding leadership. Our Executive leadership team is dedicated to creating an inclusive environment and actively support our diversity initiatives. Our recent employee opinion survey has given us our strongest ever engagement results and our colleagues have reported experiencing a very positive culture. Our culture is underpinned by integrity and equality to support a diverse and inclusive environment where colleagues from all different backgrounds can thrive. Your feedback is taken very seriously, and we do have ways where concerns can be raised anonymously, so we’d encourage you to contact us so that this can be looked into further. In relation to some of your specific comments about gender, we are confident that men and women are paid equally for performing equivalent roles, and we are committed to increasing our female representation at all levels. We have recently released our latest gender pay gap report sharing our latest data and detailing our inclusion commitments. Once again thank you for your comments and we hope to hear from you soon.

5. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

n/a

Mar 25, 2020 - Business Support Advisor in Stockholm, Stockholm
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great people to work with - lovely people in the company.

Cons

Poor wages and you don't get any support form Senior management. Cannot rely on Senior management.

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

My New Role - Close Brothers Asset Finance And Leasing

Aug 15, 2019 - Business Development Executive in Sheffield, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

The people - I love coming to work every day, career progression - already had the chance to interview for a scheme to train employees for senior management positions and I've only been here 5 months, the company ethos and continued company growth, competitive salary and package, regular social events. Experienced and intelligent Managers who are incredibly supportive but still treat you like an adult and let you get on with your work - they only intervene if you ask them to.

Cons

Nothing to report as of yet.

7. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Amazing Potential Hampered by Awful Process & Politics

Apr 28, 2019 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

- A good, strong corporate history - It attracts genuinely nice, talented and very experienced people - Reasonable remuneration and benefits - Generally open plan with most people easily accessible - Drink trolley on Friday helps to unwind

Cons

- People are leaving left, right and centre. That’s not a good sign - The different lines of business don’t really communicate. All are self-interested resulting in duplication and inconsistency across the business - Incredible amount of (unwarranted) arrogance, ego and self-importance amongst some senior management, some of the worst I’ve ever seen. This leads to tendency to overcommit and under-deliver or cover up/misdirect mistakes - A lot of non-management “game players”, schmoozing and favouritism, some of it pretty blatant - Terrible processes, particularly projects. Everything is ALWAYS a rush so constant and needless levels of stress which affect the quality of what is trying to be achieved. - Worst, most disinterested HR ever. They’re not really engaged, have terrible and inconsistent processes, don’t really support you with issues and just defer problems back to management out of ease or indifference - Very cramped offices - Too many people. Too little space.

8 people found this review helpful
    8. 2.0

Great history, Uncertain future

Dec 6, 2018 - Manager in London, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

CBG has a phenomenal HISTORY of sustainable, profitable growth coupled with its HERITAGE of championing entrepreneurs and small businesses in the UK.

Cons

Growing concerns among staff of an excessive focus on quarterly results without any clear strategy or investment in the future. Clear instances of over reliance on past performance as an indicator of future success. Concern among staff that the number of recent changes/exits among senior management and business units, reflecting disagreement about the future direction of the Group, particularly as staff view many recent appointments by Risk/Credit as appointing allies, rather than talent in the industry, thus avoiding challenge on the status quo.

3 people found this review helpful
    9. 5.0
      Current Employee

Excellent place to work!

Mar 7, 2018 - Anonymous Employee in London, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good people, talented and professional. Supportive at all levels, including approachable senior management. Collaborative staff who care. Diverse workforce, including many women in senior roles. Healthy culture and values. Excellent corporate communication initiatives, regular feedback opportunities and Q&A sessions. Great induction. Positive working environment.

Cons

Main office needs more space and easier access to meeting rooms.

10. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Good opportunities, slow pace of work & lower salaries

Jan 27, 2018 - Analyst in London, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good opportunities, lots of senior females, senior management are very approachable, generally the people are very pleasant. Been here nearly 3 years and still enjoy what I do

Cons

HR have some frustrating restrictions in place regarding salaries - individual business unit CEOs aren't always able to pay market rate due to HR policies. Pace of work can be slow, sometimes feels like a company full of 'B' players.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 21 Reviews