Employee Review

Former Employee, less than 1 year

Flexible, Fun

Aug 31, 2015 - Reviewer in Bukit Merah Estate,
    Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible job opportunities, great management

Cons

Not much room for growth

Be the first to find this review helpful
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Good job must work hard

Oct 21, 2021 - Sales Account Executive in Lompret, 59
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great Pay, Great Team, The harder you work the more money you make

Cons

There aren't many cons depends on person

Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Amazing Culture and Career Opportunities with a few downsides

Oct 19, 2021 - Elite Account Executive
    Business Outlook

Pros

-Training. Yelp trains you. If you have the grit and tenacity and buy into the "matter of when" approach, Yelp gives you skills that other companies want and other companies will poach for. I was a sad restaurant manager in Chicago before I was hired and Yelp's training launched my career, I'll forever be eternally grateful. -Culture. The culture has come a long way at Yelp and is one of the most special parts of working there. If you've experienced (or looking to escape) a toxic work environment, Yelp is a breath of fresh air. Hard work and effort are recognized and rewarded with praise and incentives. Managers now have a ton more training and are vetted more than when I joined in 2018. Back in 2018, if you hit consistent numbers (even low consistent numbers at target) and you were a decent person, upper management seemed to promote anyone with numbers and the character with most management training coming on the job. The new managers were training new hires (blind leading the blind) and not everyone was cut out for that kind of on-the-job training, leading to a lot of lost talent. The amount of work and consistency for new managers at Yelp means better Account Executives who are better trained by someone who was trained themselves, not someone winging every second of it. -Management. Upper management at Yelp are a special bunch of amazing individuals that I respect and admire, if you work here, get time in their calendars and learn from them. Jeremy the CEO is awesome and he cares, he really does. -Time off and career growth. PTO is great, 15 days is super fair and it jumps up to 18 after 2 years. Work ends at 5:30pm (or whenever you work out your schedule). When you put the phone down for the day, you are done. It's a nice feeling. Tons of career opportunities but mostly in sales. Just perform and work hard and do your best to pick out a few potential paths instead of getting complacent and staying in local sales forever. Local is where you start, but I personally feel it should never be where you stay too long -Benefits are the beez neez. Not just a full benefits package, but nice perks that I'd need a while to list. Talkspace for mental health therapy, professional coaching with Bravely (my favorite perk ever, I need a coach again), perks for parents, etc. Yelp does everything it can to take care of you outside of work.

Cons

-Think big picture and long term with your career or you’ll lose yourself in the nature of the job. It can be grueling if you let it get to you (it will get to you). Its sales. I went from being a restaurant manager wanted a drastic change in my life and I got it to launch my career, I’m grateful I did it for 4 years but it took its tool at times. -Sick time off. The job is extremely demanding at times and you only get 5 sick/ mental health days total. This is one of the reasons I left. It's 2021, I worked throughout the nightmare that was 2020, 5 days to look after myself if I am sick or just need a day is not enough. It's really not. I worked in every office group expect for the Phoenix office, and in NY I felt a lack of understanding for the importance of mental health days. Many reps on my team did not take them for fear of falling behind or getting challenged by managers, leading to burnout. Taking a mental health day was definitly dependant on your manager. I feel if you’re a veteran, and you perform and hit your numbers, there should be unlimited mental health days. Yelp puts so much effort into taking care of people, give your top people time to rest. -Accountability is a bit much (though at the start I wanted it more than anything). As a veteran, you will constantly be checking in with your manager (this is good for hitting metrics and having someone to check on you to help you reach numbers) but sometimes I just want to work and be left alone. -"stay in your lane" mentality depending on who your managers and directors are. What I mean by that is that you are a salesperson 1st, your numbers matter more than anything, and then you’re everything else 2nd, 3rd. Hit your numbers (or work your butt off) if you want a voice that makes an impact. It's sales, water separates from oil, it makes sense and it’s probably one of the reasons Yelp has stayed successful but other people who don't hit their numbers are not irrelevant. I am not saying that if you do not hit numbers, you will not be valued as a person, I am saying that if you want to make a meaningful impact, lead roundups, lead, give advice, hit your numbers, otherwise you'll be told to "stay in your lane." Again, depends on your manager and director most of the time. This can lead to people tying identities to their numbers, so if you’re having a bad run of a few months, its going to affect your self esteem and confidence until you turn it around, its just the nature of the job. -Salary. It’s a fun ride chasing the next salary promotion and I saw a considerable quality of life change when I jumped from Account Executive to Senior Account Exectutive. But after Elite AE, the salary hardly jumps (to be fair, by the time you hit Elite, closing is a lot easier so you will make more commission). After 5 years at yelp your salary grows by a few percentages, but not as much as jumping to another company and growing your salary by 10-20k with still commission to be earned. Thats why I suggest that you choose a direction you want to run in within your first year, DO NOT get complacent and comfortable in local sales. Although jumping into Local Client Partner and Managment, the salary does not jump at first either, which was a HUGE frustration for me. Management salary grows quickly with performance and the skills you learn on the job or 2nd to none, you just have to want it bad cause it wont pay that well when you start out. Local Client partner (the department where you upsell) is supposed to be a promotion but without a salary bump, I didn’t see the incentive to join (higher commission structure in LCP though).

Continue reading
    1 person found this review helpful

Discover more reviews about Yelp.