Fast Enterprises Employee Reviews about "great benefits"

Updated Dec 4, 2021

Found 116 of over 1,101 reviews

3.8
Fast Enterprises Managing Partner Martin Rankin
Martin Rankin
Pros
  • "High wages, Great benefits, Coworker comradery(in 116 reviews)

• "Good base pay plus paid overtime(in 71 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Long hours, but I absolutely still have a work/life balance(in 83 reviews)

• "Work-Life Balance: It can be maintained (I have gotten pretty good at it(in 59 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "great benefits"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

10yrs a FASTie

Dec 4, 2021 -  in Denver, CO
      Business Outlook

Pros

I think FAST does a remarkable job of taking care of their employees. Compensation and benefits are great. We've enjoyed the relocation aspect of the job. I think FAST does a valuable service to state agencies too and really provides a top notch, modern system that really improves each jurisdiction where it's implemented. It's good to feel a part of something that makes a real difference somewhere, for people.

Cons

There definitely moments of pretty high stress, usually around rollouts. Sometimes the hours can be demanding to keep meeting that On Time and On Budget standard FAST has for itself. If you aren't willing to work hard and really apply yourself, you'll really struggle. I can think of a few rare times where I discovered fellow FASTies really talking quite negatively, almost mockingly of other FASTies or clients for either making mistakes or for other things. It's a pretty universal human fallible, but something i think could be improved upon generally. I wouldn't call it toxic or widespread, just something that could be improved. I know for many relocation can be a con, but in my experience, FAST really tries to work with you to accommodate you as much as possible. but there is an expectation for folks to work somewhere considered generally less desirable, at least for a few years.

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

Great company, as long as you want to relocate

Nov 14, 2021 - Training and Testing Coordinator
      Business Outlook

Pros

FAST is a fun and supportive company to work for. Great benefits.

Cons

Relocation every few years is fun for a while, but gets tiring for some after a while.

3. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Started out as a great job, ended up being miserable and burned out

Oct 19, 2021 - Implementation Consultant
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Pay and benefits are great. -Coworkers have largely been pretty incredible people. -Social culture outside of work was fun (Pre-pandemic). -If you try, you can pick up enough technical skills that can be transferrable if you join another company. If you are more interested in pure software engineering than doing the mix of development and consulting, fast probably isn't for you. A lot of large enterprise software companies are going to have varying degrees of this, whereas in smaller companies you probably will see a lot more use of the various familiarity with common SaaS/tooling that's asked for. You do need to take some initiative if you want to pick up on that stuff though. -Some people have noted their managers were not the best, I've had pretty positive experiences with all of mine, but this is something that is going to be project/location dependent. -Can be a really good option for less technical people who didn't necessarily major in Computer Science or the like. -FAST has had pretty incredible company-size growth over my time here, and that just speaks to the companies prospects for the future and the dominance they have in their market niches. -Ultimately at the end of the day, we want governments to have better, more modern software, that can provide us with faster services, and more services. I definitely got some warm fuzzies every time we had a major rollout. I'm glad I was able to contribute to that in my time here. The work does help out a lot of folks in a lot of states.

Cons

-Burn out is extremely common due to demanding hours. The better you are at the job, the more work and expectations will get placed on you. -Salary adjustment and bonus structures are arbitrary, and people do play favorites. Performing highly above your coworkers one year to earn a strong raise will place that as the minimum expectation for the next year, so you can go from being the best worker one year, to still being the best worker but receive an average to below average review. This in turn puts more pressure on you to work increasing overtime and take on more work and responsibilities. Again, this leads to burnout. -Other reviews mentioned this, but even when you end up in leadership roles in charge of other developers there is no pay difference or incentive for taking on those extra responsibilities. -Relocation (can be a pro), can potentially have you end up in less desirable locations depending on where you want to live. FAST does give you a little bit more control over this now, but that often comes with costs to your salary or future raises. -Typical project cycles have months where you will be bored to tears where essentially no development is happening. -Very easy to get pigeonholed into certain roles. This definitely can stagnant your growth and professional development. -Because FAST hires such diverse majors, you often see a trend where you can easily pick out who was and wasn't a computer science/other technical major, and that shows in the code. Sometimes this leads to processes being designed poorly and causes maintenance headaches later on. -Code reviews should happen more often than they do. For anyone reading this, don't be intimidated by having your code reviewed, they should be structured in a positive way that benefits everyone reviewing it with the goal of helping everyone sharpen up their skills. -Post pandemic culture is largely nonexistent. As mentioned in other reviews one of the big benefits was the large company event, which was cancelled the last 2 years with nothing to replace it. It was always intended as a thank you to the employees/their families with recognition to the effort and long hours we put in. Largely this just re-enforced the rising level of unappreciation for us over the last 2 years. To be fair we did get a t-shirt I guess... -Another note on the culture, a lot of the events have the alcohol flowing on open tabs, so if that isn't your thing you may not enjoy some of the events as much as others (so for some this could be a pro). -While communication is good between leadership and employees, it isn't always great and sometimes things fall through the cracks that can leave people blindsided or unaware of when important things on the project are happening.

16 people found this review helpful
    4. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Pay off your student loan and leave

Oct 17, 2021 - Implementation Consultant
      Business Outlook

Pros

The pay - you will work immense overtime if put on a site that's going live within the year, and you're paid each hour for it. The company has great benefits as well, and makes relocation a profitable breeze most of the time.

Cons

The overtime in a government office is soul draining. Locations are pretty undesirable, and you're very lucky if put somewhere you actually like. Plenty of people leave here to work other more desirable roles in the software industry. Many people I've met with <1 year of experience have exit strategies.

10 people found this review helpful
    5. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Amazing for out of college

Oct 6, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits and pay. Great for traveling.

Cons

Don't always get a say in where you're being sent.

6. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great All Around!

Sep 6, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits and pay for most roles. There’s a company-wide standard for collaborative teamwork and problem solving. The work is engaging and impactful.

Cons

The corporate side of the business is struggling to keep up with the company’s growth. Project sites haven’t changed much, but the management structure needs to be analyzed and resolved. While flexibility is great, more structure is needed to keep things equivalent across sites and for the corporate teams to be effective.

7. 5.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Great Company!

Aug 13, 2021 - Technical Team Member
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits. Awesome co-workers. There are a lot of events and gatherings throughout the year. Can talk to project managers and architects anytime.

Cons

Was not a big fan of mandatory dress code. Software is not the most interesting and can be boring. They push for a lot of transparency, but not all team leads actually do it.

8. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great work environment, good company.

Aug 9, 2021 - Implementation Consultant in Washington, DC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Work with a wide array of talented software developers. Getting to work on-site with the client and interact with the end-users of the software that I developed. Great benefits, and the company treats the employees with frequent dinners, and a free vacation every year.

Cons

Are frequently required to move to a new city every few years. Working with a government agency can be frustrating, especially when forced to work with employees of the government agency who were not technically competent at all and resistant to change.

9. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

FAST work

Jul 12, 2021 - Implementation Consultant
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits. Good pay. Travel

Cons

Lots of overtime. You live where you're sent. No skills that lead to other opportunities

1 person found this review helpful
    10. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great Company/Great People

Jun 9, 2021 - Implementation Consultant
      Business Outlook

Pros

Amazing people work at this company, great benefits, once a year company-wide vacation.

Cons

Outdated tech stack, government client offices do not give a traditional tech company feel.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 116 Reviews