Groupon Employee Reviews about "merchants"

Updated 24 Nov 2020

3.5
Groupon Interim CEO Aaron Cooper
Aaron Cooper
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "merchants"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Avoid this company if you value your mental wellbeing"

1.0
    • Diversity & Inclusion
    Current Employee - Account Manager in London, England

I have been working at Groupon full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Nice office, free breakfast, drinks on Fridays

Cons

Toxic environment, Nepotism & discriminatory hiring and management operations, encouraged to lie to merchants to avoid paying them on time on numerous occasions. I witnessed bullying across various departments, no genuine career prospects in what is a declining business model. Senior leadership changes at a rapid pace.

2. COVID-19

"Good to start with... Bad to end with"

2.0
    Former Employee - Business Development Representative in Chicago, IL
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Groupon full-time for more than a year

Pros

I worked for Groupon for about 2 years, so this info will be regarding pre and post covid19. -Honestly, they give a pretty great training program. I feel like my sales skills were really improved over time with their structure and the way they initially train their reps. -Free snacks in office (though they were limited) -Good benefits and "unlimited PTO" (post-covid19 unlimited PTO was pretty much non existent and you had to get PTO double or triple approved weeks in advance) -Great peers and coworkers (for the most part) -Fun in-office environment before covid19

Cons

-company is going downhill -upper management and management in general have no idea what they are doing -micromanagement that seems to be getting pushed from C level employees -major changes in commission structure (started out making a decent commission percentage, then they changed to a smaller commission percentage with a larger base pay, then they took commission away all together and only paid on launched deals -they are always doing some weird sneaky things with your money (I've personally had to call into HR to receive bonuses that were missed on their end, and I had a coworker that was missing nearly 5K in commission) -the merchants you will reach out to are either out of business or HATE groupon -they encourage you to harass merchants to the point of legal threat -constant Zoom meetings to chat about "feedback" on the new program Groupon has laid out... employees give challenges on how their newly enforced pitch has been going over with merchants while upper management tells reps that they just need to do better and keep pushing -petty petty petty environment, everyone is talking about someone else, make sure to have all your ducks in a line because even if you have something in your personal life, Groupon managers will bring it to your professional life -no real sense of a promotional process, I know successful reps that have been exceeding metrics for months going on years and are still not promoted, while other reps that got lucky with a high selling deal get promoted or low performers get moved to a customer service roll instead of getting fired -awful communication overall -Groupon as a company is corrupt, they lied to their investors about where their money has come from and I know numerous current and former employees that are caught up in lawsuits with Groupon

3. COVID-19

"Wonderful culture, challenging business model"

Former Employee - Director in Chicago, IL

I worked at Groupon full-time for more than a year

Pros

Engaged associate community with significant resource groups and cutting edge technology. Executive Leadership Team (ELT) is clear regarding the priorities and communicates frequently.

Cons

Challenging business with COVID-19 restrictions on consumer behavior. Questionable competitive moat if Google/Facebook/Amazon/Walmart decide to invest in building relationships with merchants at scale.

Groupon Response

September 25, 2020Global TA Manager

Thanks for your review and we certainly appreciate your "Advice to Management." We will be sharing your feedback with Sr. Leadership. Thanks for all you do!

4. "ok"

Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Groupon full-time for less than a year

Pros

good benefis, possibility to grow and learn new skills

Cons

Company really care more about its merchants

"Stay away, especially now"

2.0
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Groupon full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Lots of autonomy depending on your team, time off, matched 401k

Cons

Lack of leadership, chaotic, screwing over merchants

6. "Great environment"

Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at Groupon full-time

Pros

Excellent training, culture and management

Cons

Does not pay in comparison to other sales jobs and it seems as the company doesn’t always have the merchants best interests in mind

7. "Great company!"

Current Employee - Merchant Development Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Groupon full-time for less than a year

Pros

Groupon is so fun to work at. They care about their employees and make work a fun place.

Cons

Merchants yelling at you all day long. Not always bad though.

8. "Analyst"

1.0
    Current Employee - Data Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Groupon full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nothing to think of this drowning organization

Cons

Worst management, Going nowhere, Fooling employees/merchants/customers

9. "Key Account Manager"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Dubai

I worked at Groupon full-time for more than a year

Pros

Group-on growing so fast in short time , and give you a lot of benefit and good experience

Cons

Answer merchant questions by taking inbound calls or inquiries and driving merchant loyalty and retention through exceptional service levels  Handle post-sale merchant communications, conflict resolution, and compliance on merchant deliverables, resolving client issues effectively in a timely manner  Focus on servicing merchant inquiries, resolving issues and optimizing deal campaigns with existing Groupon merchants.  Develop familiarity with each merchant’s business, including but not limited to: products and/or services, consumer demographics, consumer ratings, points of competitive differentiation, merchant economic model, and revenue/profit drivers

10. "Pretty good place to work....but don't get comfortable"

Former Employee - Business Development Manager

I worked at Groupon full-time for more than a year

Pros

Diversity Everyone knows the company Great training

Cons

Many merchants have been burned and won't give you the time of day. You can expect layoffs multiple times per year

Viewing 1 - 10 of 71 English Reviews