Groupon Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Updated 30 Sep 2020

3.5
Groupon Interim CEO Aaron Cooper
Aaron Cooper
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews
  1. COVID-19

"Good to start with... Bad to end with"

Former Employee - Business Development Representative in Chicago, IL
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Groupon full-time for more than a year

Pros

I worked for Groupon for about 2 years, so this info will be regarding pre and post covid19. -Honestly, they give a pretty great training program. I feel like my sales skills were really improved over time with their structure and the way they initially train their reps. -Free snacks in office (though they were limited) -Good benefits and "unlimited PTO" (post-covid19 unlimited PTO was pretty much non existent and you had to get PTO double or triple approved weeks in advance) -Great peers and coworkers (for the most part) -Fun in-office environment before covid19

Cons

-company is going downhill -upper management and management in general have no idea what they are doing -micromanagement that seems to be getting pushed from C level employees -major changes in commission structure (started out making a decent commission percentage, then they changed to a smaller commission percentage with a larger base pay, then they took commission away all together and only paid on launched deals -they are always doing some weird sneaky things with your money (I've personally had to call into HR to receive bonuses that were missed on their end, and I had a coworker that was missing nearly 5K in commission) -the merchants you will reach out to are either out of business or HATE groupon -they encourage you to harass merchants to the point of legal threat -constant Zoom meetings to chat about "feedback" on the new program Groupon has laid out... employees give challenges on how their newly enforced pitch has been going over with merchants while upper management tells reps that they just need to do better and keep pushing -petty petty petty environment, everyone is talking about someone else, make sure to have all your ducks in a line because even if you have something in your personal life, Groupon managers will bring it to your professional life -no real sense of a promotional process, I know successful reps that have been exceeding metrics for months going on years and are still not promoted, while other reps that got lucky with a high selling deal get promoted or low performers get moved to a customer service roll instead of getting fired -awful communication overall -Groupon as a company is corrupt, they lied to their investors about where their money has come from and I know numerous current and former employees that are caught up in lawsuits with Groupon

Continue reading
  2. "Great place to work initially, but now a sinking ship"

Former Employee - Applications Operations in Dublin, Dublin

I worked at Groupon full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people, fantastic location, excellent working environment.

Cons

Clueless upper management, no direction, redundancy decisions made zero sense

"Non-competitive wages and do not value employees"

1.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Groupon full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Health benefits, PTO, youthful culture

Cons

Grossly underpays. Upper management does not know what they are doing and there is no transparency. Promote people who are incompetent and unqualified. Management in Goods play the favoritism game. They say they are an inclusive and diversified company, but they definitely are not. Laid off hundreds of people over Zoom, very unsympathetic and unprofessional.

Groupon Response

August 26, 2020Global TA Project Manager

Thanks for your feedback! We’re happy to hear that you were pleased with the benefits, culture, and work/life balance at Groupon. We’re sorry to read that you found upper management was lacking transparency and playing favoritism, as hiring and developing thoughtful (and fair) leaders is something we take very seriously. In relation to pay, we take several steps to ensure our compensation is competitive, especially when it’s combined with our benefits package and unlimited RTO (routine time off). That said, we will continue to benchmark and review our compensation packages on an annual basis to ensure they stay competitive within the market and make changes accordingly. Regarding inclusiveness,we're happy to share that there are several key priorities in place for the remainder of 2020 centered around global inclusion and diversity, ranging from further commitments to increased diversity in our talent pools to Zoom-based virtual conversations related to inclusion, identity and intersectionality. Finally, we hear and appreciate your feedback regarding the way lay-offs were handled. It has been incredibly painful to say goodbye to talented people due to the impact of this unprecedented pandemic, and we're deeply apologetic to those who were disappointed by our delivery. It's your willingness to share that helps Groupon grow and evolve, and for that we're very appreciative! Wishing you all the best in your journey forward.

"Poor Management"

Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Groupon full-time

Pros

Work / life balance and thats about it

Cons

Constant turnover and poor communication from upper management

"Not As Great As They Used To Be"

1.0
    Former Employee - Customer Service Supervisor in Chicago, IL

I worked at Groupon full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Competitive pay and good benefits

Cons

Minimal upward growth. Poor communication between departments. Lack of support from upper management.

"Great for entry level"

Current Employee - BDR in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Groupon full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work life balance and culture

Cons

Sinking company without any communication from C suite to upper management. Constant change. Bad marketing department.

7. "Initial Team for Groupon In ME"

4.0
    Former Employee - Business Administrative Manager

I worked at Groupon full-time for less than a year

Pros

Quick and Full of Execution

Cons

Weird upper management at Rocket .

Continue reading
  8. "A Great Place to Work"

4.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Groupon full-time for more than a year

Pros

Salary and Work environment are good

Cons

Communication from Upper Management can be missing in certain situations regarding changes or organization updates

9. "Great team culture (at least my team), relax, good work/life balance but without any direction"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Groupon full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

* Great team culture (at least my team) * Relax * Light deadlines for projects * Opportunity to contribute in different teams

Cons

* There is no clear direction from the upper management * Transparency regarding ongoing stuff is null * Old stack of software

10. "Forced last day to avoid stock vesting"

Former Employee - Software Engineering

I worked at Groupon full-time

Pros

Great people to work with.

Cons

Upper management is not respecting the privacy of feedback provided.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 83 English Reviews