Lidl "work life balance" Reviews | Glassdoor.sg

Lidl Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated 21 Oct 2019

3.2
Lidl CEO Jesper Hojer (no image)
Jesper Hojer
Pros
  • "Good pay, flexible working, opportunities(in 191 reviews)

• "good salary developed people very fast if they see potential(in 58 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life balance is not the greatest but then time can be taken back at a later date if you work more hours(in 143 reviews)

• "Sometimes Long hours, very fast paced(in 141 reviews)

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Fun if you love retail but hard work with high expectations."

Current Employee - Deputy Store Manager in Manchester, England

I have been working at Lidl full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good pay, good holidays, good benefits, meet good people.

Cons

Not a great deal of care for employees, difficult work life balance

Advice to Management

Push for more staff requests for work life balance

"Experience"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Lidl full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work life balance. Pay I ok for job responsibilities. Extremely good benefits package

Cons

Poor front line management. Management, front line, has little to no practical experience running grocery stores.

Advice to Management

Frontline management is very inexperienced and are not good at developing their people. Most have little to no grocery experience which looks like it is by design. Publicly talk about associates with no regard to who is there. Managers are task oriented not business oriented.

Lidl2019-09-28
  3. "Hard work."

Current Employee - Retail Assistant

I have been working at Lidl full-time for less than a year

Pros

Pay, fitness, within walking distance.

Cons

Sheer workload, inconsistent hours, bad work life balance, easily injured, not welcomed properly as a new starter.

4. "Bullying"

Current Employee - Customer Assistant in Witham, England

I have been working at Lidl full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good pay and most of the staff are lovely

Cons

Terrible work life balance, and a fair few of the managers are rude bullies with no consideration for their hard working employees. I am not the only one who has said this. One manager apparently said how awful we all are at our jobs and how amazing he is. Despite being 40 minutes late that morning, leaving us all to stand outside at 5am when our shifts began. Furthermore, there are never enough staff on the... shop floor at once to get things done. It is always chaos.

Advice to Management

Keep your middle management in check because they treat everyone below them like they're nothing. Either that or hire nicer people. Absolutely disgusted with the way myself and my colleagues have been treated.

Lidl2019-10-09
  5. "Okay job"

Current Employee - Warehouse Associate

I have been working at Lidl part-time

Pros

Good pay and benefits

Cons

Some in charge pick and choose what employees they choose to accommodate when it come to work/life balance

Lidl2019-09-17

"Horrible Work Environment"

Former Employee - Purchasing Analyst in Arlington, VA

I worked at Lidl full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Free giveaways on Fridays

Cons

-Hostile working environment -No work/life balance -Low pay for the workload -Horrible management -Tasks are not relevant to the industry standard which puts you behind in your career

Lidl2019-09-22
  7. "Avoid this place at all costs"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Dublin

I have been working at Lidl full-time for more than a year

Pros

Salary is quite good for the industry Pension Private health insurance Staff try and help where they can Customers are mice

Cons

Stressful Abusive management Rosters change without notice or request Constantly asked to start early and work late Stress is a bonus for them, if you are not constantly stressed and under huge pressure, you're not working hard enough ZERO work/life balance

Advice to Management

Treat the staff like people

Lidl2019-09-19

"Its better than What you read here"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Lidl full-time for less than a year

Pros

Awesome work life balance Good pay to start Endless potential for growth

Cons

Bad communication between team and senior leadership Not enough developmental time with your leadership Company isnt very transparent everything is a secret

Advice to Management

Be a little more open on plans to come for employees and the company Realize not all talent has a masters degree from a 4 year college.

Lidl2019-07-27
  9. "Bad store management"

Current Employee - Customer Assistant in Manchester, England

I have been working at Lidl part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great hourly rate, great colleagues and always busy.

Cons

Poor line management. No work life balance, no support for working parents.

Advice to Management

Stop treating staff members differently and threatening people’s jobs.

Lidl2019-08-12

"Think carefully before taking this role"

Current Employee - Store Manager in London, England

I have been working at Lidl full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Salary is very good Holiday entitlement

Cons

Excessive workload- be expected to have a perfect store, hit your KPIs, have all staff happy, go on tills to cover breaks, work huge amounts of delivery (can be alone as all staff are on till), check everyone else’s work (if they get off till) complete all paperwork with nowhere near enough hours to complete all the jobs.... and have your phone ready for the messages and calls you may get when resting or days off.... Work / Life balance- Long shifts (9.5 hr per day, 5 days per week) which can be made longer due to sickness. If you can’t get cover you will be expected to stay. Even if you start at 4am and finish at 11pm for example. This has happened to me and my colleagues on numerous occasions. Unrealistic hours to run a multimillion pound store.

Advice to Management

When I read that we have come a long way, I really don’t see it. I see we have come a long way at going backwards and I really do feel a lot of positive thoughts and feedback is not a true reflection of what I am hearing from managers and staff throughout the company. Which I think is a shame. 5 star reviews on this or any other site are never a true reflection on any company, we can only move forward with... honesty and openness. Staff worry about repercussions of being truthful. Even my location and details are not correct as I know it’s highly likely I will be known and reprimanded for being truthful. Only money is keeping your staff at Lidl. I know many staff across all areas are looking for other jobs, although they won’t admit it to senior managers, they are finding it difficult in this climate to change jobs. The ones who leave are the very best and very employable staff who other companies really cherish. You need to invest money in having enough hours in the store each day to run it properly. Not training or meaningless job roles that get no extra money for the staff. There is no incentive and they are simple jobs i.e a bakery specialist (all they do is follow a plan on how many items to put in an oven) a freshness coordinator (they check the quality of fruit and veg and do an order). It’s not difficult to do these roles, but they are made out to be. Common sense seems to be pushed aside for red tape and company regulations. This would be fine if enough time was given for these jobs. Money does not buy time- Giving higher wages to staff and management does not mean they can get more jobs done or that you will attract a better quality candidate to do a managerial role. It is the culture that needs changing and enough people in stores to do a job properly without excessive mental pressures and physical demands that is having an impact on our health. As a company in the UK I really do think we need to start being realistic and stop sugar coating the real issues.

Lidl2019-08-09