Motley Fool Employee Reviews about "fools"

Updated Aug 23, 2021

Found 33 of over 310 reviews

4.5
Motley Fool CEO Tom Gardner
Tom Gardner
Pros
  • "The Motley Fool is committed to helping its employees grow and develop their own personal skills(in 31 reviews)

• "But did you know that there is a Slack channel with an amateur meteorologist who updates Fools on the weather(in 27 reviews)

• Cons
  • "The company is currently hard at work to create more diversity and foster inclusion among Fools(in 12 reviews)

• "I believe that if you can't be happy at the Motley Fool, the problem is with you, not the company(in 11 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "fools"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

I don’t ever want to leave

Oct 3, 2019 - Anonymous Employee in Singapore
      Business Outlook

Pros

This is an employer that has given me everything I was missing in previous jobs. Yes the salary is good and the job perks are there, but what’s really special here is the autonomy you’re given not only in your role but in your career progression, and you’re surrounded by fellow ‘Fools’ who have a positive, supportive and collaborative attitude - not to mention a very smart bunch. We work for a great cause, making the world Smarter, Happier and Richer. We have leaders who genuinely have our best interests at heart, and by doing so they’re people who you want to work for - you want to prove them right to run the business with such an unwavering moral compass.

Cons

There’s two ‘cons’, but they’re more like symptoms of the pros: - It is hard to get a role here... vacancies are limited because no one seems to leave! Thankfully we’re growing and this opens new roles. If you get the chance to work here I suggest you grab it with both hands. - If you want a structured career plan this isn’t the place for you. There’s is no career progression plan, the company requires you to look around the business and communicate upwards a desire to move into new areas, or even spot opportunities that the business can move into that we don’t even have yet. This doesn’t suit everyone.

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Working here is like a dream

Aug 23, 2021 - SEO Content Strategist in Arlington, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

WFH options Open communication from management Excellent health insurance Competitive salary Incredible investing education. Seriously floored by how much I’ve accumulated simply by learning at work and using my employee benefit of access to premium services. Great coworkers (Our hiring process is not easy—and Fools collectively benefit from that, as we are surrounded by people who really want to be here.) CEO Tom Gardner is not only brilliant and forward-thinking, but he is a sincerely kind, caring person who is passionate about making others’ lives better. True servant leader. (And I’d say the exact same thing for co-founder David Gardner—I love David’s mentality of “investing for the world you want to see.”)

Cons

We are, at the time of this review, not as diverse as we need to be. (The company is currently hard at work to create more diversity and foster inclusion among Fools. Unfortunately there’s no magical overnight remedy, but during the time I have been here, there has been a consistent and significant focus on making improvements on this front.)

3. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great Work Place

May 8, 2021 - Member Services Representative in Alexandria, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great Fools that really look out for their members and fellow Fools.

Cons

Could pay me more. But I'd say that about any place.

Be the first to find this review helpful

Human Resources

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review, Fool! We absolutely aim to make all employees and members smarter, happier, and richer.

4. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Motley Fool Ventures

Apr 13, 2021 - Project Coordinator in Alexandria, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great company to work for that truly values their employees who they lovingly refer to as “fools”

Cons

None to mention at this time

Human Resources

We're grateful for your time with us, Fool -- thanks for taking the time to leave a review!

5. 5.0
      Current Employee

In the Company of Fools Indeed

Mar 16, 2021 - Individual Contributor
      Business Outlook

Pros

If you are looking for a company with an incredible purpose, an award-winning culture, and fellow employees who genuinely care about your authentic self, The Motley Fool is the place you need to be. With other reviews, frequent pros include great people, amazing perks and benefits, and flexible work hours. And it's all true! But did you know that there is a Slack channel with an amateur meteorologist who updates Fools on the weather? Or that we were one of the first companies to go fully virtual in early March 2020 and our People and Tech teams worked hard to make sure we had what we need to work remotely? To this day, Fools work tirelessly to make sure we are staying connected in fun, engaging ways. Or that we have monthly company-wide huddles where Fool leaders review our business numbers and priorities? In those same meetings, there's an open Q&A where anyone can ask any question anonymously or not. Everywhere you turn, there's another reason why the Fool is a wonderful place to work.

Cons

We aren't the best at saying no, so Fools might end up taking on more than they can handle at times. In addition, it can be tough to turn off work, especially with remote working. These cons are not specific to the Fool though.

Be the first to find this review helpful

Human Resources

Fool! Thank you so much for taking the time to share some of the ways our Foolish efforts over the past year have helped support you! And as we continue learning what it means to be a Virtual First culture, we aim to help Fools better balance work and home life.

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

A-M-A-Z-I-N-G culture with tech perks

Mar 10, 2021 - Money Manager in Denver, CO
      Business Outlook

Pros

Motley at heart! The Fool embraces DEI at its core. it has a vibe of anti-corporate, anti-boring, anti-drama to it. People (aka Fools) are super bright and brilliant at what they do, yet are truly down-to-earth and collaborative. Usually, the Fools were already successful in their fields in the corporate world. They intentionally chose to come to a less corporate, happier environment at the MF. The company is focused and invests in its culture and employees. The perks are really generous, and are meant to help the Fools become smarter, happier and richer. Thus, people stay with the company for a very long time (more than 10+ years), which is rare these days. The hiring process is generally quite thorough and long, which helps them vet and hire the right folks who work well together and get along nicely.

Cons

This employer is definitely not for every employee. If you are more comfortable with structure, suit & tie, and/or traditional finance, you will not like working here.

Human Resources

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience, Fool – we do believe we have some of the best and the brightest in the world. And Fools regularly cite their fellow Fools as one of their favorite aspects of Fooldom! Thank you for all that you do to help us put the world, and your fellow Fools, on the path to smarter, happier, and richer!

7. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Greener pastures

Nov 4, 2020 - People Team in Alexandria, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I cannot say enough about The Fool. I am continuously blown away and feel like I’ve found my “dream company”. • Employee centric: leadership truly care about the people at the Fool and have committed to creating a culture that truly allow you to be your most authentic self at work....The perks and benefits, including an on-site gym, subsidized lunches, a masseuse, robust mental and physical health resources don't hurt either. • Transparent: Since the beginning of the COVID-19, leadership has given regular updates and kept employees in the know about what is happening and have done a great job of transitioning us into a full remote company. • Community: The Fool is place where you will be challenged and encouraged to be a continued learner. With that, you have an internal community of Fools that make themselves available to lend a hand, to educated and take a vested interest in your career progression.

Cons

* With the growth, the company is experiencing comes typical growing pains.

Human Resources

Your dream company!? Stop! We’ve been dreaming of Fools like you that add to our fun culture and embrace the challenge of being lifelong Foolish learners. Thank you for all you do and for taking the time to leave a review, Fool!

8. 5.0

The Grass is Greener

Oct 1, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

This is a dream company for those of us who are lifelong learners and intellectually curious. Not only is transparency sewn throughout every level of leadership, but Fools are so warm and welcome in sharing their skills, experiences and passions with you-- you only have to ask! It's also been wonderful to witness the adaptability and innovation that have surfaced through the current COVID landscape. From the precautions taken early on, to the flexibility and advocacy around what type of schedule works best for you and your family-- the Fool has had our backs.

Cons

With the innovative nature of this company, comes many changes and change is not everyone's love language. If you thrive in structure and knowing that your day to day is going to be the same for a long time, this might not be the environment where you'll feel you're being your best self.

4 people found this review helpful

Human Resources

We love our culture of intellectually curious Fools – thank you for all that you bring to Fooldom! While we do value innovation, we strive to strike a balance that suits all Fools’ needs. Thank you for taking the time to leave a review – Fool on!

9. 5.0

A Safe Haven from Corporate Toxicity

Feb 19, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Flexible work schedule (some remote work is an option for most teams) - Strong manager/employee relationships - Autonomy to independently manage your workload - Fantastic benefits (great healthcare, vacation, sick, and personal days are not counted, subsidized lunches, robust mental and physical wellness program, free personal training, A NAP ROOM, subsidized massages, and MORE) - The company is an exciting growth period and the business outlook is strong. - Fools generally make for kind, thoughtful colleagues with a very rare bad apple in the mix.

Cons

- Your career path is not clearly defined and low turnover means advancement opportunities may not be directly laid out. - The open floor plan office space can get a bit noisy. - The fun, Foolish, and entrepreneurial spirit here means that sometimes older Fools disregard process and structure as overly corporate.

6 people found this review helpful

Human Resources

Thanks for taking the time to share your perspective, Fool! We’re grateful for this glowing endorsement and love that you’re feeling cared for and empowered to do your job. No workplace is perfect, but we strive every day to be the best place to work in the world -- and we’re thrilled to have you aboard this ship of Fools! Thanks again, and Fool on!

10. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Choose your own adventure and wake up WANTING to go to work.

Jan 31, 2020 - Individual Contributor in Alexandria, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Competitive perks and benefits: no vacation policy; medical, dental, and vision insurance; 401(k) company match; work-life balance; subsidized lunch multiple times a week; health and wellness initiatives (physical and mental); tuition reimbursement; learning and development programs - Mission-driven purpose to help people. - Open door policy to leadership and managers. - Fun culture and incredible work events (including +1 events) - Feedback is encouraged. - Casual work environment. - Professional co-workers who actually care about you as a person. - Focus on Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging. - Celebrations of Fooliversaries and culture of rewarding and recognizing. - Free food and swag. - Growth-focused company.

Cons

- Your career path is not laid out for you. You need to be your own self-driver and make it known what your intentions are in your career. (This may be a Pro for some people.) - Longer tenure, so Fools stay in their roles for longer periods of time. Growth opportunities are higher now as the company grows, but constant growth and hiring won't happen forever. - Your starting salary can be higher at other companies.

Human Resources

Hey, Fool! Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us a review. Our purpose to make the world smarter, happier, and richer begins with all of our Fools internally, and we’re thrilled to see that you feel cared for as an individual and are thriving in this environment. We’re excited about the growth and opportunity these next five years hold and look forward to you continuing on this Foolish journey with us! Thanks again, and Fool on!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 33 Reviews