Motley Fool Employee Reviews about "motley fool"

Updated Nov 7, 2021

Found 39 of over 310 reviews

4.5
Motley Fool CEO Tom Gardner
Tom Gardner
Pros
  • "The Motley Fool is committed to helping its employees grow and develop their own personal skills(in 31 reviews)

• "But did you know that there is a Slack channel with an amateur meteorologist who updates Fools on the weather(in 27 reviews)

• Cons
  • "The company is currently hard at work to create more diversity and foster inclusion among Fools(in 12 reviews)

• "I believe that if you can't be happy at the Motley Fool, the problem is with you, not the company(in 11 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "motley fool"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 4.0
      Current Employee

Great company if you fit the mold

Nov 7, 2021 - Freelance Writer in Abingdon, MD
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great company if you want to write like their other writers. Strong base pay per article with the chance for monthly bonuses. Opportunities to earn extra money through contests and no cap on articles that could be published.

Cons

Motley Fool writing style doesn't leave much room for individuality, you write copy the Motley Fool way or it doesn't get published. The difference in work during onboarding versus the real writer's queue is significant. Somewhat significant learning curve in my experience.

1 person found this review helpful
    2. 5.0
      Current Contractor, more than 1 year

Excellent Place to Work

Oct 14, 2021 - Anonymous Contractor
      Business Outlook

Pros

I've worked in media most of my life and I can say, hands down, there is not as supportive a community out there than the one at Motley Fool.

Cons

I can't really think of cons, tbh.

3. 5.0
      Current Contractor, more than 1 year

Best job I've ever had

Sep 2, 2021 - Contract Writer
      Business Outlook

Pros

People are great. Tremendous amount of collaboration at the Motley Fool. I'm a writer, I write articles. I have editors, who of course have final say as to what gets published at the Fool. But I don't feel like I have "bosses" really. I pitch ideas, they have suggestions. Sometimes I have to rework articles, sometimes I don't. And my job is morphing into other areas, like making videos, where we talk about the stocks we like. Even more freedom! The Fool is filled with people who love stocks and love talking about stocks. So much fun. We get paid different rates for different kinds of articles. And we also get bonuses depending upon how popular our articles are and how much money the articles make for the Fool. But the biggest benefit to the job is all the money you make in the stock market while you're doing the job. I use my regular salary to pay my bills and I use my bonus money to buy more stocks.

Cons

None, really. Incredible amount of freedom and flexibility. I get paid per article. I can work when I want to. I work remotely. The Fool's in Alexandria and I don't know if I would want to live in Alexandria. And they could always pay me more. But I'm really happy with this job.

4. 5.0
      Current Contractor, more than 8 years

So Stinking Proud to Be Part of This Team

Apr 27, 2021 - Contractor
      Business Outlook

Pros

This company -- in some ways looks nothing like when I started 10 years ago. But it has rolled and evolved and used it's mission -- to make the world smarter, happier, AND richer -- as a compass to guide it into its port. Those values were all on full display during the pandemic. The start of Motley Fool Live -- a TV channel of sorts for members -- for members who might have been worried about volatility was done without any idea of how to pay for it. Why? Because TMF could and was convinced it would fulfill the mission.

Cons

I'm still loath to look at the marketing we send out. I get it. People need to be enticed, even if it's a bait and switch from an unhealthy sales pitch to a much healthier mindset that's offered once people come into the ecosystem.

5. 5.0
      Former Intern, less than 1 year

Incredible Mentorship and Community

Mar 19, 2021 - Marketing in Alexandria, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

The Motley Fool is committed to helping its employees grow and develop their own personal skills. Incredibly inclusive environment dedicated to their employees' happiness.

Cons

Lots of Zoom meetings, but that is to be expected with any virtual position.

6. 5.0

In the Company of Fools Indeed

Mar 16, 2021 - Individual Contributor
      Business Outlook

Pros

If you are looking for a company with an incredible purpose, an award-winning culture, and fellow employees who genuinely care about your authentic self, The Motley Fool is the place you need to be. With other reviews, frequent pros include great people, amazing perks and benefits, and flexible work hours. And it's all true! But did you know that there is a Slack channel with an amateur meteorologist who updates Fools on the weather? Or that we were one of the first companies to go fully virtual in early March 2020 and our People and Tech teams worked hard to make sure we had what we need to work remotely? To this day, Fools work tirelessly to make sure we are staying connected in fun, engaging ways. Or that we have monthly company-wide huddles where Fool leaders review our business numbers and priorities? In those same meetings, there's an open Q&A where anyone can ask any question anonymously or not. Everywhere you turn, there's another reason why the Fool is a wonderful place to work.

Cons

We aren't the best at saying no, so Fools might end up taking on more than they can handle at times. In addition, it can be tough to turn off work, especially with remote working. These cons are not specific to the Fool though.

Motley Fool Response

Human Resources

Fool! Thank you so much for taking the time to share some of the ways our Foolish efforts over the past year have helped support you! And as we continue learning what it means to be a Virtual First culture, we aim to help Fools better balance work and home life.

7. 5.0

Great place to work

Dec 1, 2020 - Analyst in Alexandria, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

The Motley Fool has a great culture (including truly excellent benefits) and an awesome purpose (to make the world smarter, happier and richer) -- in the world of finance, the Fool is a bright spot in that we really do care about helping people/our members do well and have high ethical standards. It's a very optimistic company, and also very geared towards learning and growing. Although it doesn't always get everything right (pretty sure no company does), leadership definitely does legitimately try, and listens, which are very positive attributes. Last but not least, it has a super smart, friendly workforce so you make great friends there as well -- the company does a great job of encouraging connections not only for work collaboration purposes but also for social connections and a sense of belonging. It often feels like a family.

Cons

The business moves fast and things can be a bit fluid -- sometimes arguably too fast and fluid. I think that can be a difficult thing to overcome for people who prefer routine and more rigid structures in their workplace. Things are definitely not always exactly the same.

2 people found this review helpful

Motley Fool Response

Human Resources

We’re blushing! Thank you, Fool, for these kind, thoughtful words – we’re so glad that you’ve settled into the Foolish family and are making friends along the way. We will always continue working toward making our employees smarter, happier, and richer -- while we do the same for the world. Fool on!

8. 1.0
      Current Contractor, more than 5 years

So disillusioned

Dec 13, 2019 - Contract Writer in Alexandria, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I have been a contractor for the Motley Fool for years. It was a good job at first, a good culture, where contractors were treated almost like employees.

Cons

It is not this anymore. TMF squeezes and squeezes its contractors, imposing more and more rules with less and less pay. In the final insult, they just took away our last remaining benefit, free access to the newsletters we are helping them to market.

3 people found this review helpful
    9. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

I didn't know what I was missing

Sep 8, 2019 - Software Developer in Denver, CO
      Business Outlook

Pros

The Motley Fool treats its employees like treasured assets. Unlimited vacation time and flexible hours are real. I take the time to catch a kid's soccer match after school without censor. Employees are encouraged to continually learn new things and there is a healthy budget for it. With just 6 months at the Fool, I have an out of town conference approved and the online classes that helped me do my job better faster were promptly compensated. The company's mission of making people smarter, happier and richer is for reals internally and externally. The environment is so collaborative that I am compelled to show up to the office despite a 45-minute commute. The people and the welcoming atmosphere totally destroy the image of computer geeks hiding in their corners not talking to anyone.

Cons

Be prepared to gain a fool 15. Despite wellness programs and benefits that compensate up to $75 for gym memberships a month, all the free food adds up if you are not careful. Also, it takes a while to be hired. Two months of rigorous interviews and coding challenges reduce the cultural mismatches that may happen at other companies but it was nerve-wracking.

8 people found this review helpful
    10. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great company to work for

Apr 13, 2019 - Investment Analyst in Alexandria, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

The Motley Fool's mission is to deliver excellent advice and research to our subscribers, in an accessible and fun way. As a team working on this mission, we're encouraged to harness our passion and use our best judgement to achieve this goal. Our goals and our members' goals are aligned: when they do well, we do well. The company treats team members very well by creating a stimulating and fun place to work, very generous benefits, flexible work hours, unlimited vacation time, casual work attire, and the list go on. Ultimately the company's relationship with its employees is founded on trust: they trust you do deliver your best in whichever way works best for you.

Cons

Honestly, none. I believe that if you can't be happy at the Motley Fool, the problem is with you, not the company.

3 people found this review helpful