NerdWallet Employee Reviews about "growing pains"

Updated Feb 1, 2018

Found 10 of over 156 reviews

3.8
NerdWallet CEO Tim Chen
Tim Chen
Pros
  • "The work life balance here is unparalleled - everyone gets their work done without needing to force anyone to work late(in 23 reviews)

• "Great benefits with unlimited time off, flexible work schedule, great health benefits(in 13 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Some growing pains, but using them as learning opportunities(in 10 reviews)

• "3 rounds of layoffs in 8 months(in 7 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Reviews about "growing pains"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Content Writer

Feb 1, 2018 - Staff Writer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Top notch salary with raises and bonuses based on performance, paid vacation and benefits (too many to list), super-talented and friendly co-workers (no egos!), very flexible hours (remote), and meaningful work that also contributes to the company's bottom line.

Cons

As a startup there certainly have been some growing pains throughout my years here, and at times I've felt a lack of direction/leadership from the top. This is not right company to work for if you don't like frequent change or want to feel secure about your job.

5 people found this review helpful
    2. 4.0

Content team review

Dec 4, 2017 - Staff Writer
      Business Outlook

Pros

+excellent compensation and perks, including telecommuting +smart, experienced coworkers who believe in the mission +high editorial standards +transparency and lots of communication from management

Cons

+morale is low, thanks to a few tough rounds of layoffs +processes change pretty frequently, and there is less transparency into those changes than there was a few years ago, when the company was smaller. (although, ultimately, NW leadership shares much more with its employees than most companies.) fast changes mean you must be able to adapt or speak up if you're unsure of where you fit in. +other reviewers have mentioned growing pains, which i think is fair. but i believe, overall, the leadership is mission-focused and trying to learn from past missteps.

3 people found this review helpful
    3. 4.0
      Former Employee

Inspiring Mission & People

Dec 1, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Everyone is smart & humble. Endless opportunity to learn and grow.

Cons

Growing pains of a start up.

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

LOVE IT HERE

Feb 21, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

The company culture is outstanding. I've never been happy to come to work, until now. There is absolutely no ego among colleagues, including the C-Suite. Everyone is so appreciative of one another, and calls each other out for successes. The benefits are stellar. From medical/vision/dental insurance, to phone stipend, to gym stipend, to catered lunches, and of course unlimited snacks. Not only does the company give back to their employees, there is a plethora of programs to give back to the community, including volunteer work, donations, etc. Lastly work life balance is unmatchable!

Cons

Some growing pains, but using them as learning opportunities.

NerdWallet

Thanks for taking the time to leave us with this review! We place great value in our Nerds and want to provide the best benefits possible, so it's wonderful to hear you agree! We appreciate the feedback, cheers!

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Mission driven company with normal growing pains.

Feb 9, 2017 - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Meaningful mission. As cheesy as it sounds, NerdWallet really is trying to make the world a better place, and the mission driven culture is a big perk. - Smart people who are, on the whole, nice, fun, and engaging. - Much more diverse than most startups. - Great work-life balance for most. Rarely expected to work late nights and weekends (though some will by choice). Unlimited PTO, and most are easily able to take time off. - Excellent perks - fully paid health insurance, commuter benefits which include parking/Muni/UberPool, a 401k match (rare these days), food and snacks, etc.

Cons

- Heavy focus on feedback-driven culture sometimes goes too far (but still much better than a workplace without feedback, understanding how to grow/develop, etc.) - Normal growing pains, especially around product strategy - Matrix organization leads to a lot of communication overhead (meetings, continual reprioritizing, etc.) - Company is trying to do a ton of things at once, which while exciting, can be a bit overwhelming.

NerdWallet

Thanks for the feedback! Really appreciate your kind words as we're continuously looking for feedback to ensure our employees are happy! We do encourage feedback as we do believe in living our values including "relentless self-improvement." We want our employees to be open to feedback either positive or negative to learn ways they can improve themselves and grow. Appreciate your thoughts!

6. 4.0
      Former Employee

Not a bad place to be.

Oct 21, 2016 -  in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Everyone here is passionate about the mission and extremely smart!

Cons

Major growing pains within the company

NerdWallet

Thanks for the review! Growing pains are hard to avoid when you're in a start-up environment, but we're confident that we are doing our best to handle the growth.

7. 5.0
      Current Employee

Smart People, Great Culture

Jul 8, 2016 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

Coming into work is a pleasure: the office is on Market, the management is solid, with great experience, colleagues are smart and open to discussion and change. Inspiring!

Cons

Not been here long enough to notice any... apart from normal growing pains doesn't look like anything specific.

8. 5.0
      Current Employee

You want to work here, trust me

Dec 2, 2015 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

Inspiring, Collaborative, Strategic. These 3 words come to mind when I think of NerdWallet. As a current employee it feels good to see the impact of my work.

Cons

Growing pains of a successful company. We can't always do things right the first time. There is no growth in that.

9. 3.0

Unique Company + Awesome People + Normal Corporate Stuff

Apr 29, 2015 - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Lots of big ideas to inspire you here and major consumer-facing problems to work on. You will be surrounded by some of the smartest, funniest and best people in the Bay Area. In fact, you should follow them all on twitter now, because it will no doubt improve your feed and your life. The office is absolutely lovely, welcoming, and couldn't be easier to get to from a commuting perspective. Wonderful perks and benefits, especially for families. People here care about doing great work and are always eager to collaborate. Some of the earliest employees are still around and are incredible people. Access to top management is above average, especially among key leaders who came over from LinkedIn. Ditto for transparency.

Cons

I guess for all the legitimately amazing stuff, there must be cons, because if not, I'd hope we'd all have the presence of mind to use our experiences here to create our own magical Unicorn Company of Awesomeness post haste. Here's my take: --Honestly, I'm still perplexed by the fundamental, underlying culture at NerdWallet. I'm not sure why you'd set up a company based on a Hunger Games, hedge fund, winner-take-all ethos, but say you did and that worked for you. You can't, then, expect a 'Teach for America' culture to emerge just because you summoned it. That takes a lot of hard, hard work and many companies have failed to turn around very similar ships. And you know it lingers because it keeps flaring up in the weirdest ways: --an email by your manager micro-managing the CEO's 'organic', for-the-people listening tour --tacky 'anonymous' questions at many Founders Q & As -- everything from asking senior management to publicly detail demotions (by name) to straight up public, but faceless beyotching about a lot of new desks appearing in the office, ostensibly cluttering the workspace. You are left to wonder...(a) were people just not raised properly? or (b) is there more culture work to be done here? --For certain next year's reviews could benefit from more oversight in a base-line HR/best practices perspective. Some were legendary this year -- and not in a great or positive way. And because of this lingering culture issue, it's easy to take staff departures and assign some larger meaning to each but that would be 100% wrong here. At least in the one case I know about, it was as simple as simple gets -- a better, more attractive offer. Happens. In all, these are growing pains that I'm confident will be fixed. Give NerdWallet a serious look.

45 people found this review helpful
    10. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great experience contributing to a rapidly growing company

Feb 9, 2014 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

You get to work with fun, friendly, and highly motivated people everyday. It's also easy to see how your work is contributing to the company mission, which is easy to get behind as it involves helping other people save money and learn about personal finance. NerdWallet is growing fast so it's exciting to be a part of the continuing success. The office environment is fun and relaxed while still encouraging all employees to challenge themselves to do the best work possible in their positions.

Cons

As a rapidly growing company, there are obviously going to be some hiccups and growing pains, but managers don't ignore these problems, and are taking actions to improve.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 10 English Reviews