Nestlé Purina U.S. Reviews

Found 1,569 of over 1,720 reviews

3.9
Nestlé Purina U.S. CEO Nina Leigh Krueger
Nina Leigh Krueger
Pros
  • "This is a excellent place for work life balance - 4 day work week- AMAZING(in 271 reviews)

• "There are so many positives but some of the highlights are the people, passion about pets, emphasis on quality, able to bring pets to work, the St(in 123 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Work life balance work ownership(in 99 reviews)

• "Long hours, back stabbers, poor leadershkl(in 24 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years
      Featured Review

Here to stay!

Mar 2, 2021 - Senior Manager in Saint Louis, MO
      Business Outlook

Pros

Strong business, strong culture, teamwork oriented

Cons

Somewhat set in old ways of working, but getting better in this space

Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback and congratulations on 10+ years of dedication to Nestlé Purina! Our "strong culture" is one of the most unique characteristics about us, and we're pleased to hear you find it to be one of our greatest qualities. We wouldn't be who we are today without the dedication of our employees, like you, and we can't thank you enough! As we continue to grow, and obtain feedback from our employees, changes can occur. However, please know that every change we put into place is done so with our employees top of mind. Again, thank you and congratulations on 10+ years!

2. 5.0
      Former Employee

National Account Executive

Aug 19, 2019 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Outstanding people, good culture and opportunities for advancement

Cons

Huge multinational, lots of meetings, not very agile

Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. We agree, the culture among our associates is second to none. Know that removing work that does not add value, in some cases that would be meetings, is a priority as we become a more agile organization.

3. 3.0
      Current Employee

Leadership

Feb 19, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Very positive culture and vibe

Cons

Lacking in long term strategic thinking

Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback and welcome to the Purina team! Our culture wouldn't be what it is today without our great employees so thank you for all that you do to make Purina so great. We, too, agree that it is one of the greatest characteristics we have, and we will continue to work together to better it day after day. Providing meaningful work to our employees is and always will be top of mind, which is why we're always thinking ahead to how we can be better than we were yesterday. Again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to hearing more from you soon!

4. 3.0

Eye is Off the Ball

Jul 13, 2021 - Senior Manager, Operations in Saint Louis, MO
      Business Outlook

Pros

Purina always fostered a family-friendly environment, with an understanding that safety, personal and family well-being always came before work. They were well-rooted in a solid foundation of beliefs stemming from their founder, William Danforth. They celebrated successes, and lifted up the people that helped them achieve almost impossible goals. They were pragmatic in their approach, standing up to ideas or proposals that unintentionally put employees in harms way. Leaders were brave, and led people through inspiration - not fear.

Cons

The Company is afraid to lose their long-standing culture, but do not realize they've already lost it to some extent. The pandemic drastically changed the lives of employees and the response of the Company doesn't reflect the inspirational leadership the 5 Talls were founded on. You've allowed the pressures of Nestle to grind your people into the ground. Demands outweigh the ability for employees to hang on. The inflexibility of return to campus further pushes employees out & senior leaders are shrugging their shoulders as if to say "oh well." Problem is - your employees are what make you successful, so Purina will pay an unnecessary price.

62 people found this review helpful
    5. 3.0

Disappointed, not as progressive as I hoped & believed

Jul 6, 2021 - Manager in Saint Louis, MO
      Business Outlook

Pros

I work with some of the smartest, most caring, genuinely nice humans I’ve ever encountered. My team is passionate and engaged, and I enjoy the work I do immensely. We make products that I can stand behind and feel good about; and we help people keep their pets healthy and happy – that’s fantastic! There are many benefits to working at Purina, including an excellent maternity leave (because of Nestle’s policy) and discounts on pet food, baby formula, coffee, etc. I feel like I have some flexibility when it comes to my work day, as long as my manager is aware of any shifts to my schedule or availability.

Cons

I’ve heard people call Purina ‘traditional,’ which is code for outdated. I love the fact that we have so much history, but some policies are feeling antiquated. Many in leadership roles have been at Purina for a long time – the tenure is great, but they can be stuck in their ways. There is a fair amount of ‘clock-watching,’ in that I feel like others monitor when I come and go. And face-time is valued immensely; it feels that sometimes the hours you work are more important than the work you produce. As a working mom, I feel like I can get more done in 6 hours than I used to do in a 10-hour day (pre-kid days). But I feel guilty and sneaky if I need to leave by 4:45 to pick up my child from school. Promotions are hard to come by. It’s possible, but for the vast majority of the company, it takes a while. We are a flat organization, meaning (in my experience) most employees report to a director or higher; in my department, managers and senior managers don’t actually manage anyone. This leave little room for advancement, considering there are only a handful of director-level opportunities and LOTS of analysts and manager-level roles. I’ve been with Purina for 6 years. And this month, I was extremely disappointed by a new policy regarding our Return to Work. After working remotely due to COVID for the last year+, we’re learning that we will be returning to campus full time, in person, with only one remote work day (Friday). Some department already had this policy in place, so this hardly feels like a perk or fantastic remote opportunity. When HR communicated this policy to us, the tone of the email was insensitive, poorly thought through, and somewhat insulting. The note said Purina was excited to return to the pre-COVID-19 culture that we enjoyed. SO much has changed, and we as a workforce have changed. People got sick. People lost income. People lost loved ones. We homeschooled kids while working full time. We watched friends and family struggle with illness and uncertainty. We didn’t see friends or family for over a year. We took conference calls from basements and bathrooms, just to avoid our screaming toddlers. But we stayed productive. We thrived in our remote roles. We got more done with less, demonstrating the agility that Purina prides itself on. We excelled and gave Purina FANTASTIC results in 2020, not despite working from home, but in large part BECAUSE we were working remotely. Neslte (our parent company) is offering a flexible work arrangement, saying they trust their employees to do the work and remain engaged. Purina, in contrast, is saying ‘come on back, our culture depends on you being here in person.’ We’ve lost employees – I know of 4 personally – who have secured new, fully remote positions. Talent will leave. But Purina may not care until it’s too late.

63 people found this review helpful

Human Resources

First, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback as well as sharing what you find so unique about Purina. We’re seeing a theme throughout the feedback provided and one of those themes is the acknowledgement of the enormous amount of respect and appreciation our employees have for one another. However, it’s also clear to us that the announcement regarding returning to work has created some worry for some people. We’ve addressed some of these in previous responses, and we welcome dialogue with your manager and with HR. Know we appreciate your feedback.

6. 3.0

We've Adapted to Change, Purina Needs to Adapt Now

Jul 13, 2021 - Senior Brand Manager in Saint Louis, MO
      Business Outlook

Pros

Collaborative environment, super-smart people, company trying to keep up with times in an agile age, beautiful campus, and dog friendly. I've truly enjoyed all my time at Purina and have never considered leaving until recently.

Cons

Purina did a great job quickly adapting and caring for employees during the pandemic, however, all of that work was quickly wasted with their new "WFH Policy". Even after declaring that it was one of the most productive and successful years in 2020, employees are now being asked to return to work full-time with the exception of Fridays, if schedules allow. While employees can still work from home as needed for appointments, but the company feels that they need to get back to having in-person collaboration. While I understand this, it is sorely misguided that we need to be in-person to be productive.

46 people found this review helpful
    7. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Good company culture, very large firm

Sep 23, 2021 - Engineering Management Development Associate in Crete, NE
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Company is willing to give you the necessary tools to learn about aspects/departments you need information for -Growth and development are key factors in associates success -People at local level are willing to help out with any clarifying questions

Cons

-Heavy influence from corporate headquarters -Corporate decision influence contributes to lack of relatability/effect at plant level - Some differences in office/floor culture and people will respond to your conversation differently depending on where you mainly work

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Wow! Continued to feel heard here.

Sep 17, 2021 - Manager in Saint Louis, MO
      Business Outlook

Pros

I have been overwhelmed by the time, thought, and dedication to safety our leadership team has put into all of the decisions they have had to make during this unique time. After listening to the individuals in the company they have revised our return to work, gave us many options, as well as continue to allow wonderful flexibility once we get back to office. I can’t say enough great things about this company, will be here until retirement!

Cons

Leadership is working on it, but we need to move to “Dress for your Day”.

1 person found this review helpful
    9. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

The opportunity is in your hands

Sep 14, 2021 - Coordinator in Crete, NE
      Business Outlook

Pros

This has been the best company I've worked for. This job has turned into my career and has made me passionate about what I love doing. Just like any other employer, it has it's downsides like a busy schedule and lots of overtime for some people but they definitely compensate for your work. They always have employee giveaways or events to show their appreciation. The best thing that I've learned is that the opportunity for advancement is endless. If you are truly ambitious and have the initiative to take on more, they offer you great opportunities for advancement and have a great tuition reimbursement program.

Cons

Lack of work-life balance because of so much overtime with some positions. Union environment which may create a toxic culture in some situations.

10. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Stable company but culture is outdated

Jul 12, 2021 - Manager in Saint Louis, MO
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great people, great products and brands! Salary is competitive for the area, benefits are decent.

Cons

It’s a big company so politics and red tape often hinder productivity. Face time is highly valued and meetings can be excessive - to the point where it is difficult to get your actual work done. Purina also has a very old school way of thinking when it comes to being in the office. They have always promoted work-life balance, and pre-pandemic that was somewhat true. If you needed to leave early for an appointment or to pick up a kid from school it was typically ok. However, Purina just announced their plans to be back in the office 4 days a week which limits the flexibility that we have grown accustomed to over the past 1.5 years. Work-life balance means something different now than it did before 2020, and with remote work becoming more common in the market, Purina is falling behind. Unfortunately it seems like the “unrivaled culture” is dropping as morale is low and employees feel like they have no voice, even after working long hours and delivering great results during the pandemic.

38 people found this review helpful