Opower Employee Reviews about "dogs"

Updated Aug 30, 2016

Found 13 of over 186 reviews

3.8
Opower Founder & CEO Daniel Yates
Daniel Yates
Pros
  • "Opower (now a part of Oracle) is an exciting place to work if you care about energy, the environment and technology(in 49 reviews)

• "Great perks including weekly massages, catered lunches, casual dress and dogs in the office(in 14 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Working at Opower/Oracle was one of the most disheartening experiences of my professional life(in 41 reviews)

• "So work life balance was a major plus, nobody cared and you could coast along into oblivion or just(in 15 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "dogs"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

RIP Opower

Aug 30, 2016 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Well dogs, free food and booze, you can work from home, and now that we are part of Oracle the 401k is matching, and benefits aren't terrible

Cons

There is a lack of morale at the company. It's been building since the layoffs in April and has just snowballed. The lies, poor management style, and massive changes have killed off what made this company great. I have lost any interest in coming in to work on a daily basis. The excitement that I had for our mission and my part in it, has been replaced by a crushing sense of seeking only the bottom line. Many of us have become hourly, receiving pay cuts in the process. A terrible work/life balance has now been made worse.

7 people found this review helpful
    2. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

RUN ... don't walk ... AWAY from Opower / Oracle!!!

Aug 9, 2016 -  in Arlington, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

BEFORE ACQUISITION (January 2016): Opower was thriving (or so we were led to believe). We had great products in place, new ideas on the horizon, and talented, motivated, and passionate individuals who truly believed in the environmental and social mission of Opower. My colleagues and peers were some of the smartest individuals I have ever worked with. And you felt like you were working towards something - saving energy, changing human behavior, etc. The culture and environment created by the Oployees was contagious and it was a happy place to be. And of course the perks (NOT to be confused with culture): dogs in the office, free snacks, catered Friday lunches, massages, unlimited PTO, commuter + gym benefits.

Cons

I can sum it up shortly with a quote from one of my favorite movies, Mean Girls, when Regina George tells Gretchen Weiners: "Stop trying to make fetch happen. It's not going to happen." Dan, Oracle is never going to "happen" for the talented, dedicated, and passionate team your people built. JANUARY - MARCH 2016 Our stock price takes a nose dive, the earnings call is horrendous. And things start to change. Maybe in hindsight I should've seen the sale coming, but the passion and enthusiasm from the CEO never waned and so like cattle, we got in line and believed the BS coming out of his mouth. APRIL 2016 Layoffs happen at the beginning of April. We dump over $1million in salaries/benefits/etc. Still, we are told not to panic. It needed to happen. Delivery teams were overstaffed, engineering projects had come to close and it was time to deliver. Everything was still supposedly great. Our CEO even actively went out of his way to assure certain teams there jobs were safe. The heart, soul, and culture of the company were hanging on by a thread. MAY 2016 - AUGUST 2016 Oracle buys Opower. Everything Opower stands for is crushed by a behemoth of a company that has no plans to continue our environmental mission. Google Oracle. See how many multi-million and billion dollar lawsuits they are a part of. CEO STILL convinced things will operate as usual, despite a complete change in culture, benefits, structure (550 employees to 130,000). Heart, soul, culture = destroyed. Morale is worse than in the toilet. There is none. People either come into work late and leave early, don't come in at all, or spend their days looking for new jobs and interviewing. People aren't even secretive about their desire to leave the company. Individuals on the G&A team are told they won't have jobs. But, over and over again, like a broken record, by both the CEO and CFO tell us our short term contracts will a) match our current salaries and b) have lucrative retention bonuses to "make it worth our while to stay." It's promised to some. Both of these things ended up being a complete and utter lie. And so now most of the G&A staff is stuck in non-incentivized contracts at a longer term than originally guaranteed. PRESENT: If you join "Opower" aka Oracle these are things you will NOT get: clarity. A+ level colleagues (think B-). Top of the line / current technology and systems (goodbye fast and nimble systems we would constantly invest in, hello systems from 2000). Bureaucracy. Oh my Bureaucracy. People are leaving in droves - all the smart, talented, passionate people I previously described are gone or on their way out. If you are smart, passionate, and looking for a fun, mission-oriented company, this is no longer the place for you.

32 people found this review helpful
    3. 2.0
      Former Employee

Going, going... gone!!

May 3, 2016 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

- The people are incredible smart and fun. - Ping pong tables, dogs, and snacks - Bike friendly and has showers in the building. - Relaxed environment, but very much a "work hard, play hard" kind of org.

Cons

- Recently announced that it is in the process of being acquired by Oracle, so many of the good things about it being smaller tech company may be disappearing. - In SF, there isn't anything that differentiates this company from other tech companies other than the mission is energy related. But not saving more energy, let's be clear. - Compensation is a joke compared to companies similar to it. Don't let them say they've "rigorously benchmarks" themselves against other companies similar to themselves to give competitive salaries, because they don't reveal which companies they are comparing themselves to. Companies of the same caliber as Opower and the talent Opower expects to hire are not among the companies they seem to be benchmarking against. The free food and perks are a façade so they can spend less on compensation that actually matters. - If they say the people and the mission are what bring people to Opower, only believe the people part. The mission has changed recently, away from helping utilities save more energy and closer to just finding any general way for utilities to talk to their customers. This can lead anybody to assume that energy efficiency isn't doing so well. - Development is hard to come by. You need to be a heavy self-promoter to get noticed, but not all personality types are assertive, even though they are plenty smart/capable. - Internal mobility is difficult to achieve without being buddy-buddy with mid/upper management. And when you get promoted, the compensation increase is laughable.

25 people found this review helpful
    4. 5.0
      Current Employee

Great Growth Potential - Super Smart People

Apr 20, 2016 -  in Arlington, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I LOVE it here! Ever since coming to Opower I've been mentored by my team and am constantly being challenged. They are open to new ideas and new ways of looking at things, and never settle for the "way it's always been done". I know I have the support of some very smart people and I can see my career growth potential here. It also doesn't hurt that they have some really great perks; dogs in the office, massages, free lunches on Friday, and so many other seemingly small things but things that add up and make it an environment you want to be in. It's not the free lunch that makes me stay here, it's the job and the mission. Couple that with great people and puppies... enough said.

Cons

We work some long hours at times and that can sometimes just be the job. But it's it's not all the time and it's pretty predictable which makes it manageable.

5 people found this review helpful
    5. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Was it worth it?

Apr 9, 2016 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

Food. Chair massages. Dogs. Smart coworkers. Casual workplace. Product was revolutionary in the market.... Until everyone started doing it and it became commoditized.

Cons

Where to even begin? How to even describe the disappointment in realizing the smoke and mirrors designed now to try to maintain opower's former glory? Opower is an example of what happens when a company rests on its laurels and gets a head bigger than its actual impact. Yeah the product was good, but it stopped being cool years ago. Since then, the company has only innovated only when it was forced to- can you even call that innovation? Because of the impact and success of their energy efficiency product, they found it somehow acceptable to treat people like crap. And this included the company's own customers and prospects. In what world is it ever acceptable to tell your customers' teams that they're outdated and stupid? Perhaps in Opower's world, where the CMO has 0 marketing background and saw it fit to fire anyone whose actual marketing experience threatened him. And don't even get me started on the middle managers. Arrogant chauvinistic middle managers who tell their female employees they have to be "nicer" while rewarding equally aggressive male employees. Middle managers who tell subordinates to be bottlenecks when processes don't go the way they envision. Underutilizing highly talented, high educated lower level staff because the first priority at opower is catering to senior managers' ego- not actually getting business done and producing better products. The free food and perks can only smoke and mirror so long. You forget, Opower, that your employees are extremely smart and eventually they see right through the shiny distractions But you know the most heartbreaking thing about all this? You could have been so good. You had all the right people. All the right momentum. And then you thought you were smarter than having to play by the basic business rules and threw it all away.

44 people found this review helpful

Director, Talent Acquisition

We appreciate the feedback. Management feels very good about Opower’s product and business strategy. 2015 represented the best year in company history both in the size and scope of deals we signed with key utility partners, many of whom made major investments in our new Customer Care products. Given Opower’s considerable success in 2015—along with our $500 million revenue backlog, $100 million cash on hand, and zero debt—current and future Oployees have a lot of reasons to be excited about the future.

6. 2.0

Mixed Feelings

Nov 3, 2015 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Coworkers are all smart and hardworking. Mission is inspiring. Compensation and benefits are competitive. Cool office, dogs, massages, fun Friday lunches.

Cons

- A lot of bureaucracy and meetings: It takes too many people too much time to get even simple tasks completed. People obsess on the details before getting the basics down. And due to poor processes and lack of ownership, people work hard without accomplishing much. - Lack of diversity: executive and senior leadership roles are held almost exclusively by white men. Plenty of women being hired, but they do not seem to be promoted at the same frequency and to the same levels. Minority employees are practically non-existent. It's hard to overstate how demoralizing this is.

17 people found this review helpful

People Team Representative

Thank you for the feedback. We agree with you on the diversity front and are committed to applying more resources toward this initiative. We're pleased with the progress we've made so far and are excited to continue in 2016.

7. 5.0
      Current Employee

Owesome place to work!

Dec 9, 2014 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Great perks including weekly massages, catered lunches, casual dress and dogs in the office! - The employee population is really smart and passionate about that mission of the company - Growing company so get exposure to all different parts of the business and have the ability to make the most of your career growth - The company is at a good size which gives you the ability to bring in best practices and make changes for a more efficient work place - Try work hard / play environment

Cons

- No 401K match - Hours can be long but your hard work is rewarded

4 people found this review helpful

Employer Brand Manager

Fantastic to read you're happy to be an O and all the reasons why!

8. 5.0

Opower is a Slam Dunk

Dec 9, 2014 - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Opower truly is a great place to work. We have dogs in the office, food that is stocked everyday in the kitchen, massages onsite once a week, happy hours, and we get to work around some of the smartest people in the DC area. Generous equity and PTO. Plus we get off for a "winter break" it's like being in college all over again! The work is challenging, and if you are not challenged, there is always more work to be done. Another thing that I personally love is the people. People here are willing to lend you their knowledge if they have worked here for a while, and you have questions. Overall, I think it is an awesome place to work in the DC area and the best place I have worked for in my career.

Cons

- no 401k match - priorities change often

1 person found this review helpful
    9. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Pros

Many things are good, not to say fantastic when you join. It all seems like the perfect place. - Exciting technology (leader in rapidly expanding market) - Exciting company (many talented people join, to take part in all the goodness. Startup funky office, one creative, cosy place with free food, dogs are welcome, bikes are parked all over the place...) If you spent time in your average large mature US IT company, this is different, new and exciting...and all for a good cause even ! But after a couple of month, the shimmering glossy fasad have worn off...

Cons

When it comes to pay people, properly comp people for their work. Provide industry standard benefits, I terms of healthcare, insurances when they travel, protecting their most valuable asset. Unbelievable really how they can get it so wrong. Not surprisingly, top quality people leave, becoming one big loss having being trained for 6 months. Why make the effort training people so much, investing if you are anyway going to repel them ? Beyond me. Got lured in, by all of above trusting benefits would come as suggested. When pointed out to colleague why not add !? BC not legally yet obligated. What !? That is why it is called a "benefit". So today the genuine care for the employees is not there. And people work hard, looong hours, and yes some have kids, other things they could do with there time...so comes at horrible opportunity cost. And of course...*drum swirl*....they leave when it all does not add up. No mater you got 8/10 right...not properly comp people, it will not fly. It's one thing to get exited people out of school, that simply does not know better, quite another top talent from the industry, who are well aware of their value. Please revisit definition of OTE. On Target Earning. Achievable, given 100% if one have delivered what could reasonably be expected...NOT some sort of **extra bonus** one should be happy to receive every once in a while, if ever. Accelerators delivering above and beyond target !? Multi year contracts, full value, contract value !? Sales cycle !? 6 month standard !? No, you know this but insist setting initial 6 or 12 months targets, not ramp up target as everybody else...but crazy targets...I achievable targets which causes only not to pay comp for proper work...and people leave. Good people that only cost you for the first 6-12 months...and just when you could potentially start to get some back...they are leaving. How could that make any sense ? Be good business ? There is a "personable actionable insight" for you...free of charge. No need for Big Data analytics here, common sense will do.

10 people found this review helpful
    10. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

So happy to be an O!

Sep 22, 2014 - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

As an employer, Opower is great. There is a real focus on employees and making this a fun, challenging, "Owesome" place to work. I've received really great training and guidance on the utility industry and markets, and I have learned a ton in my short time here. There is also a real focus on creating a diverse, integrated, respectful work environment; something I really appreciate after years in the IT industry. Working here, you're surrounded by really smart, capable people. There is a genuine desire from the team here to carry out Opower's mission. People are invested in doing their part in making the world a better place. It's not lip service, and it's great to be part of a dedicated team like this one. Finally, the dogs! There are wet noses to smooch, ears to scratch, and play bows and wagging tails to make you smile.

Cons

- Lack of 401(k) matching. This is a very odd benefit not to have, especially given the otherwise robust benefits package offered. - For all the "Owesome" stuff, it's clear that Opower is going through some growing pains. There's a lot to do, and not always enough hands to do the work. If you're willing to speak up and roll up your sleeves at times, your hard work and recommendations will be heard and recognized.

2 people found this review helpful

Employer Brand Manager

Welcome to O! Thank you for the kind words and suggestions. All are being taken to heart with new diversity roundtables and happy hours underway, management training in the works, and there's a team reviewing 401K opportunities.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 13 Reviews