Opower Employee Reviews about "opower"

Updated Apr 8, 2020

Found 71 of over 186 reviews

3.8
Opower Founder & CEO Daniel Yates
Daniel Yates
Pros
  • "Opower (now a part of Oracle) is an exciting place to work if you care about energy, the environment and technology(in 49 reviews)

• "Great perks including weekly massages, catered lunches, casual dress and dogs in the office(in 14 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Working at Opower/Oracle was one of the most disheartening experiences of my professional life(in 41 reviews)

• "So work life balance was a major plus, nobody cared and you could coast along into oblivion or just(in 15 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "opower"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Sales Director

Apr 16, 2016 - Anonymous Employee in Singapore
      Business Outlook

Pros

The team is great, all the people that work at Opower are smart, fun and hard working

Cons

As a company that has grown quickly internal communication and peoples accountability needs to be improved

2 people found this review helpful
    2. 3.0

Lots of effort

Oct 23, 2015 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

People Commitment to the company's mission

Cons

Bureaucracy within utility clients Lack of maturity of Opower products

3. 1.0
      Former Employee

Toxic: If you don't like it they will happily find someone to replace you!

Apr 8, 2020 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

Please read my thoughts below

Cons

Working at Opower/Oracle was one of the most disheartening experiences of my professional life. Much like a toxic relationship, it was so surreal that it took distance to recognize how manipulative and evil it was. This is no longer a startup that cares about the environment or your career development. Product teams called "tribes" as in tribal warfare, were organized to fight against each other for resources or to get initiatives on the sacred roadmap. It was impossible to get anything built because the engineering teams were incorrectly staffed. The development department is a poster child for "full stack dilettante" any specialization was circa 1990. User testing, research, and data science are nonexistent, they fired that entire department before the acquisition, all that's left is a shell of its former self. The design and engineering teams, operate like a molasses waterfall. Management will lie to you about promotions here and there, oh next year we'll have the budget. They'll also interview prospective hires, tell them the job has closed, then weeks later tell them it's open again. The only way to become promoted is by sheer chance or by counter offering. Expect to be stuck on the one project forever. Want to take initiative and lead another project? They'll hire someone else to do that and keep you in your silo. On the plus side: the nice thing about the level of effort expected is you did not need to show up for work. So work life balance was a major plus, nobody cared and you could coast along into oblivion or just… work from home… Think you can use google drive, or dropbox, or anything modern? Think again! Oracle's tyrannical stronghold on being a monolith extends into its totalitarian culture: home brewed horrifying mail client from 1990 check, oradocs (aka bad google drive which misplaces documents) check, impossible to use expense reporting tool check.

9 people found this review helpful
    4. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Used to be a good place to work

Mar 30, 2019 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Decent starting pay. Experience working on interesting projects. Mostly smart and fun people to work with. Good benefits (flex time, work from home, unlimited PTO for managers).

Cons

Tons of people still leaving and morale is low. Oracle is slow to replace or not replacing all the people who left so every one is overworked. Very slow and inefficient processes. Managers are clueless about what's happening in the trenches. Lack of consistent performance reviews and feedback. No raises or incentives. No growth for more experienced people. Oracle killed the Opower culture and now it's like working in 90s corporate America. Too many meetings and power points filled with buzzwords. Products and internal tools are buggy and lack continued innovation. Politics and favoritism at higher levels and lack of diversity in senior management.

7 people found this review helpful
    5. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Smart People, Interesting Work

Mar 19, 2019 - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

When I worked at Opower I felt like I was surrounded by smart people. Most engineers were very competent and very engaged in their jobs.

Cons

The pace of change at Opower was glacial. It took a long time to release new products, and the company was large enough (even before being acquired by Oracle) that I didn't feel empowered to change the organization. I was frustrated by the review and promotion process. My boss agreed that I met all the documented points to be promoted to the next level of engineer, but I had to wait a further two more review rounds to receive the promotion. This was my reason for leaving.

Be the first to find this review helpful
    6. 4.0

A great place to work

Jan 16, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Opower (now a part of Oracle) is an exciting place to work if you care about energy, the environment and technology. In a verrrryyyyy slow moving vertical (the utility industry), Opower is one of the most nimble companies working at scale.

Cons

The utility industry has built (or has had built for it) incredibly robust, but customized, on premise applications to run their operations, and moving those applications into the cloud in the form of configurable SaaS applications is a long and painful process.

7. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great Company, Smart People

Dec 7, 2016 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

The management team is made up of a bunch of super-nerds. They are great.

Cons

Well... the whole Oracle thing maybe. I can't say anything bad about Oracle, it just means that Opower isn't the company it was.

8. 3.0
      Former Employee

A company in decline, put out of its misery by Oracle

Aug 12, 2016 - Software Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

PRE-IPO (the pros were all very typical of a startup) - Great mission - Incredibly talented, interesting, and motivated coworkers - Amazing work and exciting technologies - Great communication and energy across all levels of the company - Great culture - Decent perks POST-IPO (a serious attempt to be a grown-up, profitable company) - Atmosphere built around vanquishing competitors and maintaining leadership in the market - Recognition that processes need to be improved - More focus on products that drive revenue - More focus on maintainability of systems and further maturation of technologies - Company culture still fairly positive - Company-wide pay calibration makes compensation more competitive POST-ACQUISITION - Stock prices stabilize - No significant changes to management structures or product road maps AFTER LEGAL ENTITY COMBINATION (demise) - All of the things that are good about Oracle

Cons

PRE-IPO - Low salaries - Dogmatic views on Agile (vs. agile) development POST-IPO (the woes of being a profit-driven organization beholden to shareholders) - Acceleration of SOA- and microservice-based development causes institutional headaches - Continued institutionalization of "Agile" practices without regard to pragmatism - Mission slowly changes to align with the realities of being a public company - More focus on profitable positions, leading to less tehnical innovation and experimentation - Those whose options have fully vested start to leave - Those looking for more excitement (and startup environment) leave - Layoffs and reorgs - Stock prices tumble - Idealistic and/or naive people who don't understand (or care) that public companies need to make money and can't survive on culture or mission alone POST-ACQUISITION - Acquisition causes many to realize that Opower had been declining (and/or maturing/becoming boring) - even before the acquisition - with the acquisition causing them to re-evaluate their careers - Acquisition causes some to leave outright because they don't want to work for Oracle - Amazing coworkers leaving, regardless of reason - Ridiculous, whiny coworkers who blame Oracle for everything wrong with their jobs/lives/Opower's decline - People who don't realize that a culture needs to be maintained, not just inherited AFTER LEGAL ENTITY COMBINATION (demise) - All of the things that are bad about Oracle - Many of the people who should leave are staying - Many of the people who should be stay are leaving

15 people found this review helpful
    9. 1.0
      Current Employee

The big bleed

Sep 16, 2016 - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Not a whole lot anymore. The company sold out and all of the talent is leaving. The existing employees at Oracle seem displaced while the OPower team bleeds out into nothing. Only people remaining are there because of golden handcuffs, not because they want to be.

Cons

Read all of the other reviews. Anything I say is only redundant.

10 people found this review helpful
    10. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

RUN ... don't walk ... AWAY from Opower / Oracle!!!

Aug 9, 2016 -  in Arlington, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

BEFORE ACQUISITION (January 2016): Opower was thriving (or so we were led to believe). We had great products in place, new ideas on the horizon, and talented, motivated, and passionate individuals who truly believed in the environmental and social mission of Opower. My colleagues and peers were some of the smartest individuals I have ever worked with. And you felt like you were working towards something - saving energy, changing human behavior, etc. The culture and environment created by the Oployees was contagious and it was a happy place to be. And of course the perks (NOT to be confused with culture): dogs in the office, free snacks, catered Friday lunches, massages, unlimited PTO, commuter + gym benefits.

Cons

I can sum it up shortly with a quote from one of my favorite movies, Mean Girls, when Regina George tells Gretchen Weiners: "Stop trying to make fetch happen. It's not going to happen." Dan, Oracle is never going to "happen" for the talented, dedicated, and passionate team your people built. JANUARY - MARCH 2016 Our stock price takes a nose dive, the earnings call is horrendous. And things start to change. Maybe in hindsight I should've seen the sale coming, but the passion and enthusiasm from the CEO never waned and so like cattle, we got in line and believed the BS coming out of his mouth. APRIL 2016 Layoffs happen at the beginning of April. We dump over $1million in salaries/benefits/etc. Still, we are told not to panic. It needed to happen. Delivery teams were overstaffed, engineering projects had come to close and it was time to deliver. Everything was still supposedly great. Our CEO even actively went out of his way to assure certain teams there jobs were safe. The heart, soul, and culture of the company were hanging on by a thread. MAY 2016 - AUGUST 2016 Oracle buys Opower. Everything Opower stands for is crushed by a behemoth of a company that has no plans to continue our environmental mission. Google Oracle. See how many multi-million and billion dollar lawsuits they are a part of. CEO STILL convinced things will operate as usual, despite a complete change in culture, benefits, structure (550 employees to 130,000). Heart, soul, culture = destroyed. Morale is worse than in the toilet. There is none. People either come into work late and leave early, don't come in at all, or spend their days looking for new jobs and interviewing. People aren't even secretive about their desire to leave the company. Individuals on the G&A team are told they won't have jobs. But, over and over again, like a broken record, by both the CEO and CFO tell us our short term contracts will a) match our current salaries and b) have lucrative retention bonuses to "make it worth our while to stay." It's promised to some. Both of these things ended up being a complete and utter lie. And so now most of the G&A staff is stuck in non-incentivized contracts at a longer term than originally guaranteed. PRESENT: If you join "Opower" aka Oracle these are things you will NOT get: clarity. A+ level colleagues (think B-). Top of the line / current technology and systems (goodbye fast and nimble systems we would constantly invest in, hello systems from 2000). Bureaucracy. Oh my Bureaucracy. People are leaving in droves - all the smart, talented, passionate people I previously described are gone or on their way out. If you are smart, passionate, and looking for a fun, mission-oriented company, this is no longer the place for you.

32 people found this review helpful