Opower Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Apr 8, 2020

Found 15 of over 186 reviews

3.8
Opower Founder & CEO Daniel Yates
Daniel Yates
Pros
  • "Opower (now a part of Oracle) is an exciting place to work if you care about energy, the environment and technology(in 49 reviews)

• "Great perks including weekly massages, catered lunches, casual dress and dogs in the office(in 14 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Working at Opower/Oracle was one of the most disheartening experiences of my professional life(in 41 reviews)

• "So work life balance was a major plus, nobody cared and you could coast along into oblivion or just(in 15 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 1.0
      Former Employee

Toxic: If you don't like it they will happily find someone to replace you!

Apr 8, 2020 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

Please read my thoughts below

Cons

Working at Opower/Oracle was one of the most disheartening experiences of my professional life. Much like a toxic relationship, it was so surreal that it took distance to recognize how manipulative and evil it was. This is no longer a startup that cares about the environment or your career development. Product teams called "tribes" as in tribal warfare, were organized to fight against each other for resources or to get initiatives on the sacred roadmap. It was impossible to get anything built because the engineering teams were incorrectly staffed. The development department is a poster child for "full stack dilettante" any specialization was circa 1990. User testing, research, and data science are nonexistent, they fired that entire department before the acquisition, all that's left is a shell of its former self. The design and engineering teams, operate like a molasses waterfall. Management will lie to you about promotions here and there, oh next year we'll have the budget. They'll also interview prospective hires, tell them the job has closed, then weeks later tell them it's open again. The only way to become promoted is by sheer chance or by counter offering. Expect to be stuck on the one project forever. Want to take initiative and lead another project? They'll hire someone else to do that and keep you in your silo. On the plus side: the nice thing about the level of effort expected is you did not need to show up for work. So work life balance was a major plus, nobody cared and you could coast along into oblivion or just… work from home… Think you can use google drive, or dropbox, or anything modern? Think again! Oracle's tyrannical stronghold on being a monolith extends into its totalitarian culture: home brewed horrifying mail client from 1990 check, oradocs (aka bad google drive which misplaces documents) check, impossible to use expense reporting tool check.

9 people found this review helpful
    2. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

RIP Opower

Aug 30, 2016 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Well dogs, free food and booze, you can work from home, and now that we are part of Oracle the 401k is matching, and benefits aren't terrible

Cons

There is a lack of morale at the company. It's been building since the layoffs in April and has just snowballed. The lies, poor management style, and massive changes have killed off what made this company great. I have lost any interest in coming in to work on a daily basis. The excitement that I had for our mission and my part in it, has been replaced by a crushing sense of seeking only the bottom line. Many of us have become hourly, receiving pay cuts in the process. A terrible work/life balance has now been made worse.

7 people found this review helpful
    3. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Best place I've ever worked

Feb 3, 2016 - Analyst in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Every day at Opower was inspiring - the people are smart, new ideas are always being brought to the table, and everyone is motivated to do their best work because the company is doing good things for the world. People take each other seriously at work but also have so much in common that you end up with many friends outside of the office, and those relationships range across all levels - I count my old manager as one of my closest friends and will always turn to some of the company's senior leadership for life and career advice.

Cons

Though things settled down a bit post-IPO, I'd still say work/life balance is tough at Opower. People work hard because they love what they do, but they're still working really, really hard. Also, the transition from one primary product line to multiple product lines has been rocky, particularly as oil prices have been tanking and screwing with the entire industry. As the energy world settles out so too will Opower, as long as they solidify their newer products.

21 people found this review helpful

People Team Representative

Thanks for your review and for being part of the Opower family for over 3 years!

4. 4.0
      Former Employee

A great place to work

Sep 1, 2015 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great mission, smart people, good benefits, fun atmosphere.

Cons

The work/life balance isn't the best.

Be the first to find this review helpful
    5. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

From incredible to mediocre

Mar 4, 2015 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

I want Opower to succeed: it has so much potential and such an incredible story. My coworkers are extremely smart and fun to work with. The office's environment and Silicon Valley-flavored perks are great. And, for now, the company still has a strong double bottom line thanks to its history of implementing behavioral science at scale.

Cons

Management has chosen a rough path to growth - in a saturated market in which Opower has little right to win - and is deceiving itself about its likelihood of success. That path to growth also diverges from what used to make Opower great: its environmental mission, unbeatable startup culture, and clever implementation of behavioral scientists' findings. The culture feels increasingly corporate and the gulf between employees and management is widening, exacerbated by frequent org changes and management's dismissive attitude toward diversity and work-life balance issues. As Opower has lost its culture and mission, so too has it lost its best employees - either to attrition or to poor morale. High-achieving women leave often, especially if they have children, due to the dearth of role models, opportunities, and work-life balance. In general, employees are too smart to believe the party line about our new direction's merits, and are just waiting for the other shoe to drop.

13 people found this review helpful

Opower Response

SVP, People (Sandy Hynes)

I’m so thankful to hear your passion for wanting Opower to succeed. I couldn’t agree more that we have an incredible story and fantastic coworkers. Our mission remains “to motivate everyone on earth to save energy.” This is not changing. As our industry has evolved, we must evolve the level of service we provide to our clients. As a result, we’re able to expand existing utility relationships and create new ones – allowing an even greater impact to our incredible mission. Also, thank you for addressing inclusion in the workplace, as this is a focus for the entire company from the top down. Founded in Q4 2014, the Opower Diversity and Inclusion Advisory Board (DIAB) includes 15 diverse Oployees from various teams throughout the company. Just last week they completed an off-site and are in the process of jumpstarting a number of programs. We appreciate your patience as we get off the ground and your support as we spread awareness throughout Opower. Thanks again for leaving us a review and for your detailed thoughts. - Sandy Hynes - SVP, People

6. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Smoke and Mirrors Hide the Unpleasant Reality

Jan 16, 2015 - Director, Client Solutions in Arlington, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

- There are some very bright people - EE and conservation are critical societal goals

Cons

- Arrogant, dismissive attitude towards market and utility clients...and some colleagues sadly - Limited opportunity for professional development - Corrosive internal politics - Many of the leaders are very reactionary, play obvious favorites - Work life balance is poor

14 people found this review helpful
    7. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Still a decent place to work

Aug 21, 2014 - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

* Very smart people. Lots of very intelligent, very dedicated people. Most have a good attitude and make it enjoyable to collaborate. * Great company mission. * President Alex is very inspiring and a true leader. * Good location in Arlington. Not far from DC with lots of restaurants and housing options for those who move to the area. * Fun office distractions -- lots of parties, happy hours, free shwag, to keep things exciting and wow employees who have never seen anything similar at a workplace. * Many opportunities to perform well and earn promotions.

Cons

* Work-life balance is terrible. People are expected to be always on and prepared to produce under unrealistic deadlines. * Client delivery teams perpetually operate under impossible deadlines and their chaos drives people out of that organization. It's also hard to attract the right kind of talent here. Chaos rains down on other parts of the company from the delivery teams. * Compensation is not very competitive, and Opower is stingy with stock. S1 filing indicates that the founders own 39% of the company still, but nearly every employee, new or old, was granted a negligible number of options.

4 people found this review helpful
    8. 5.0

O-Powered Up

Jun 12, 2014 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Recent IPO, current employees are intelligent, passionate and truly encompass the company values, hyper-growth mode, unique culture, several cool perks, double bottom line mission/vision.

Cons

As the company has grown there is an even greater need for management/leadership training, better benefit offerings, and more flexible work options to maintain a healthy work/life balance.

2 people found this review helpful

Employer Brand Manager

Thanks for the review! We're happy to hear you're happy! You are right - as we grow rapidly, we need to have more leadership training in place. I'm happy to report that is an initiative the People Team (HR) is working on right now. Thanks again for all the feedback.

9. 5.0

Work Hard, Play Hard

May 14, 2014 - Software Engineer in Arlington, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Opower has built a great company culture and group of talented, interesting employees. It feels good to know that the work we are doing is truly helping the world at large. I am happy with my compensation and the flexibility to work remotely when I need to.

Cons

There is a lot of snark, which can be off putting to those who don't care to engage in it. Some people have complained about issues of work/life balance, but I think that is more of a complaint in other teams.

2 people found this review helpful

Employer Brand Manager

Thanks for the review - we appreciate you taking the time to share your perspective.

10. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Love coming to work here every day

May 15, 2014 - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

There are six main reasons why I love working at Opower: -Great Mission: It's energizing to be part of a company that is looking to make such a positive impact on the world -- and to see that it's working. -Great Products: The software Opower makes is innovative, usable, and well-designed. You feel proud of what you help create. On top of that, we get to use very cutting-edge technology. (In my past jobs, most of my requests to get the most advanced, cutting-edge tools were denied for budget reasons.) -Great People / Culture: Opower is a work hard, party hard environment where the people are extremely talented (the interview process is rigorous) and a lot of fun. Oh yeah, and there are free massages, cool toys around the office (scooters and ping pong tables!), free catered lunch on Fridays, fully-stocked pantries, and tons of fun parties and events. The list goes on. -Exciting Growth: Opower is growing fast and expanding internationally. That comes with unique challenge, of course, but even so it's fun and rewarding to see the company's products go forward into new markets and languages around the world. Oh yeah, and we went public recently. :-) -Leadership: Alex and Dan (the CEOs) are wonderful and trustworthy, and they've hired other excellent leaders who are moving the company forward and making smart strategic decisions about our future. It's a pleasure working for them. They're not business elites who are out of touch with their staff; they know what we do, what challenges we face, and they're very transparent and eager to hear our concerns and make us feel confident about the future. -Ongoing Improvement: Opower is great at evaluating its employees and overall corporate culture to identify where we're weak and where we're strong. We have regular performance reviews and compensation evaluation schedules, as well as regular company meetings to assess where we stand. This makes for a lot of transparency and ultimately a much stronger relationship between management and staff.

Cons

The challenges of working at Opower: -Work-life balance is a challenge. The people here work very hard, things move very fast, and there is absolutely no end in sight to the vast amount of work we have to do (which I consider a good thing). Sometimes, typically near the end of the quarter, you need to work some late nights and to meet tight deadlines. -Compensation: Opower is an exceptional company doing exceptional work, and I am sure many people here receive above-average compensation, but in my case I feel I am receiving average compensation. However, as mentioned above, I will say that Opower is very good about regular performance reviews and raises. -Benefits: The only complaints I have here are that Opower does not match 401k contributions and there is no tuition reimbursement for people in grad school. But honestly this is pretty equally matched by other benefits that Opower DOES provide, which go beyond just the standard health/dental,etc. benefits: extra cash for commuting, a great culture and office environment, team offsites, ample budget for professional development, tons of corporate swag, and on and on and on. -Rapid Growth: Since we're growing so fast into a large company, it can be hard to keep the culture as lightweight, fun, and non-bureaucratic as it's always been. Moreover, hiring new people and getting them up-to-speed is difficult. We're actively working on maintaining an excellent culture and improving our onboarding process, but we're definitely seeing how hard it can be to quickly integrate new staff and keep the culture fun when there's so much new growth / work to do.

1 person found this review helpful

Employer Brand Manager

WOW, what a review! This feedback is invaluable. Appreciate your perspective and will be sharing it with HR and senior management.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 15 Reviews