Rakuten Kobo Reviews

Found 179 of over 217 reviews

4.0
Rakuten Kobo President and CEO Michael Tamblyn
Michael Tamblyn
Pros
  • "My experience at Kobo has been great so far(in 30 reviews)

• "Amazing work/life balance; project deadline comes from engineering teams in most departments(in 15 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Bright side, there is the chance to move into other departments or even other Rakuten companies(in 12 reviews)

• "Kobo would rather hire and layoff at whim than invest in a resource planning model(in 12 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0

Excellent Work Life Balance

Jan 7, 2022 - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Strong team culture and managers are committed to team mental health and work/life balance boundaries.

Cons

New hire compensation isn't great.

2. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Amazing company and management!

Jan 5, 2022 - Software Developer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Management's decision to move work remotely weeks ahead of any company early on in the pandemic speaks volume of the kind of leaders they have. Employees are well taken care of. competitive pay and benefits Wide range of benefits Flexible work hours Management listens and take actions when it comes to concerns from employees. Quite rare to have this trait in my experience. Talented people Professional HR that even after I left, they still responded and helped with my problems extremely quickly.

Cons

Just like any other company there are a couple of issues. Work load had been immensely unsustainable. Can't hire enough "qualified" people, while there's a lot of ambition on the product side.

3. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Good environment for collaboration and experience

Dec 20, 2021 - Product Owner in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

It's a fun product and almost everyone I encounter is great to work with. There are ongoing efforts to make the company a modern and progressive workplace.

Cons

The company does struggle to find the balance between preventing burnout and offering flexibility. There is a high level of understanding for whatever people might be struggling with during covid but a lot of the onus is still on the individual to manage responsibilities, take time off without coming back to a mountain of work etc.

HR Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to write your review! We are happy to hear that you find our products fun and that you have had a positive working experience with fellow colleagues. We believe that it is our amazing and talented people that make Rakuten Kobo a great place to work, and we are happy to hear you find us to be a modern and progressive workplace. We appreciate your viewpoint on burnout and flexibility. Even before COVID-19, we have offered, and continue to offer, unlimited days off for employees to take for their well-being. We highly encourage employees to take the time they need to take care of their mental health and wellbeing. We understand that some employees might not do this in fear of the workload they will have upon return, however, we encourage all employees to speak with their managers and our Employee Experience team to find the best solution in order to avoid burnout. We have done this by hosting multiple Burnout webinars and offering resources. We also have a Mental Health First Aid committee made up of 15 employees from multiple locations and teams. They are all trained and ready to help employees in need. We will continue to work with leaders to help identify signs of burnout to help prevent burnout from happening in the first place.

4. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great company culture and awesome people

Dec 7, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Great company culture that focuses on employees' growth and development - Great team and awesome people - Flexible working schedule

Cons

There is nothing I can think of. It was a rewarding experience!

HR Specialist

We are thrilled to hear that you find Rakuten Kobo to have a great company culture and awesome people. We agree with you 100%! Without all our employees, we would not be as successful as we are and have as strong of a corporate culture as we do. Thanks for taking the time to leave us your kind review!

5. 3.0
      Former Employee

Ok place to work

Dec 7, 2021 - Uxdesigner in Brisbane
      Business Outlook

Pros

RIt’s good place to start careen.

Cons

I can’t thjnk about anythjnf

HR Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. We are happy to hear that you found Rakuten Kobo a good place to start your career. We offer a number of career development opportunities for all of our employees and encourage employees to use the training and development budget to further develop their skills.

6. 3.0
      Former Employee

In general, great people, good place to start your career but not a place to grow it

Dec 1, 2021 - Anonymous
      Business Outlook

Pros

- most folks not in management are great, friendly group of people, that care about the company's mission. Working with them made me feel like I was working for the greater good. - handled COVID really well, providing support for employees, especially parents (not much in financial support, but more in time and flexibility), as well as the facility contractors that worked in our office

Cons

- lots of favouritism; promotions and team growth seem to regularly happen for the favourite teams while RnD teams bleed talent due to not being able to meet market rates for comp - opportunities to learn on the job is highly dependent on your manager. If you don't have a manager committed to your growth, your day-to-day work won't challenge you after the first couple months - very lean operations which led to great financial results, but poor work environment for employees. Depending on the team, you can end up being involved in far too many projects and end up stretched too thin Lastly, when I had my exit interview, I felt that they weren't actually concerned with my reasons for leaving, but more concerned with getting a 5 star Glassdoor review.

Continue reading
      1 person found this review helpful

HR Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to write your detailed review. We are glad to hear that you found your colleagues great to work with and that you felt like you were working for the greater good. We also appreciate hearing that you think we handled the COVID-19 situation well. It was something we never expected to have to deal with in our lifetime and we took the time to listen to our employees and their needs during these difficult times and be as accommodating as possible. Despite the pros of working at Rakuten Kobo, you mentioned a couple of concerns, which we wish to address. We review compensation annually against benchmark market data and acknowledge the market is moving quickly so are reviewing data more frequently and are in the midst of launching our 2022 compensation cycle. Our total rewards package includes base + bonus + stock equity + matching RRSP + benefits. Regarding employee development, we offer a generous training and development budget that our employees can use. We also offer free Udemy for Business accounts, as well as several courses developed by our training and development teams at Rakuten Kobo and our parent company, Rakuten. We send out monthly reminders to employees to reach out to the training and development team for any career development opportunities they might be interested in. Even if your manager doesn’t actively engage in your development, our Employee Experience team is there to help. We have also recently hired an Early Career Program Lead to help build our R&D teams pipeline with the best available talent. We appreciate you taking the time to write your review. We take these reviews seriously and continue to develop and improve our organization based on the feedback we receive. We will continue investing in manager development programs to ensure managers understand the importance of growing their talent. In addition, we will continue to grow our mentorship programs and work with employees to pair them up with the most suitable mentors. Best of luck in your future endeavours!

7. 2.0

Great WLB and Culture, terrible compensation

Nov 26, 2021 - Software Developer in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great WLB, rarely work outside of 9-5 Your co-workers and peers are easy to work with and great people to chat with Interesting things to work on

Cons

Compensation is significantly below market rate. They have not kept up with market trends and most of the top employees are leaving to other companies for a significant bump. This bleeds into other areas as well, recruiting new employees is also a significant challenge due to this Promotions are also very insignificant, They consider the % increase of your current salary when giving a raise not market rates or paying fairly across different teams. Promotions happen only once a year, you could be working a level above your current title for a full year before any recognition The R&D department has been having very high turnover leading to projects being delayed and deadlines not met, creating frustration as teams are understaffed but expected to deliver the same output The parent company Rakuten has significant control over the decision making

Continue reading
      5 people found this review helpful

HR Specialist

We are happy to hear that you found the work life balance at Rakuten Kobo to be healthy and your fellow colleagues to be great people to work with. We couldn’t agree with you more on this! Our employees are what make Rakuten Kobo a great place to work. While we review employee compensation annually against benchmark market data we acknowledge the market is moving quickly and are reviewing data more frequently and are about to launch our 2022 compensation cycle. Our Global Total Rewards team works closely with our parent company to ensure we are offering a competitive salary not only in the market we work in, but across Rakuten as a whole. We review employee salaries on a regular basis to ensure our employees are being compensated fairly. As part of our Total Rewards framework, we also offer bonuses, RRSP matching, and stock options. We also offer a generous annual Flexible Spending Account, internet allowance, travel allowance, as well as a generous training and development budget to help employees further develop their careers. Although these might not be considered as salary, they are an additional financial investment we are happy to make in our employees because, as you said, great people make a business, and we believe we have some of the best employees out there. Thank you for taking the time to write to us and we wish you all the best!

8. 5.0

Best Culture and Coworkers

Nov 16, 2021 - Software Developer in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

* Top tier culture, very inclusive and the company was absolutely excellent to its employees during the pandemic * Interesting problems to solve and everyone is encouraged to have a voice

Cons

* Release cadence is a bit behind the times, and fear is often the main motivator for these processes remaining the same

HR Specialist

Thank you for your kind review! We are thrilled to hear that you think we have the best culture and coworkers. We agree with you on this. Our employees challenge us to continuously improve and be the leaders in our industry in terms of inclusivity. The pandemic had thrown all of us for a loop, but we believe we thrived, and our employees are achieving some of the best results we had in years! Without our employees, we would not be where we are today. We are open to hearing feedback for improvements, and we welcome any suggestions employees might have for release cadence. If you or any of your teammates have any suggestions, we would love to hear them! You can let your leader know, our CTO, or if you prefer to stay anonymous, you can always reach out to our CEO via the #ama channel or by using our anonymous feedback survey (but we do want to give credit where credit is due, so please don’t be shy to speak up).

9. 1.0

Miserable

Dec 17, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

You get a book every week

Cons

Management is very out of touch and removed. No support whatsoever and no authority to make decisions. You’re just expected to operate like an underpaid robot. Pay is well below market rate, though they’ll feed you a truckload of bs about it being “middle of the market”.

HR Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We are sorry to hear that you found your experience to less than satisfactory. We believe that we go above and beyond to increase employee satisfaction in multiple ways, one of them being free books which you enjoyed. Other components of our total rewards package include a competitive salary which is evaluated on a yearly basis, annual bonus, RRSP matching program, unlimited sick days, 4-day weekends for statutory holidays in the summer months, above average vacation days, full value stock awards granted annually, and a generous training and development budget. We also highly encourage employees to speak up through a number of venues such as speaking directly with their managers, speaking with the Employee Experience team, anonymous feedback surveys, our anonymous #ama Slack Channel, as well as #the-chief Slack Channel, Rakuten Hotline and the Ask the COO email managed by our Americas COO. We wish you all the best in your future endeavours!

10. 3.0

Decent Place to work

Nov 19, 2021 - Software Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Reasonable salary and job expectations

Cons

Total restructure of a successful company after being bought out.

HR Specialist

Thank you for your review! We are happy to hear that you find our salaries to be reasonable as well as job expectations. Since we are part of the Rakuten ecosystem, we are able to offer many perks to our employees that we were not able to offer before the acquisition. Rakuten has allowed us to grow our business, while keeping our Rakuten Kobo culture which many employees value. Our CEO is supportive of our culture and continuously works to ensure that we get to enjoy the unique initiatives that makes Rakuten Kobo so special.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 179 Reviews