Real Chemistry Reviews

Found 361 of over 408 reviews

3.5
Real Chemistry CEO Shankar Narayanan
Shankar Narayanan
Pros
  • "Great benefits - similar to what you'd find at a tech start-up(in 20 reviews)

• "Great company with great people(in 18 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Work/life balance can be difficult to manage(in 33 reviews)

• "Long hours , quiet busy 9am -6pm contracted hours(in 27 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 4.0
      Former Employee

Fast Paced

Sep 20, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Co-workers turn into friends/family. Fast paced work environment, lots of meetings all the time.

Cons

Constantly plugged in. It's important to know your limitations and to take care of yourself.

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Strong, Innovative Company

Sep 13, 2022 - Account Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Real Chemistry is a company driven by innovation to make a mark in the healthcare industry. I've found them to live by their mission, vision and values and work collaboratively to serve clients in the best way possible. With competitive benefits and pay, there are clear paths to grow vertically (and laterally) to advance your career. I believe Real Chemistry is on a path of evolution and expansion to become a market leader within the healthcare PR industry.

Cons

Despite the unlimited PTO, given the increased workload employees have, taking time off can be difficult.

3. 2.0

Lack of organization and Senior Leadership

Sep 23, 2022 - Group Director
      Business Outlook

Pros

Company offers great employee benefits and programs. Pay and bonus program is generous. There is a large focus on diversity, equity and inclusion.

Cons

While the executive leadership team develops and rolls out employee programs those in people management positions often do not support their direct reports in being able to access these programs and participate. Organizational and operational skills of the management team like recruiting, identifying appropriate staffing needs, and mentorship are lacking and therefore prohibit team members being able to participate in programs and also have career development. Basic systems and processes in order to run day-to-day work are lacking, this may be a result of the multiple acquisitions that have taken place without a well executed integration plan. With the re-organization of the company and the opportunity in areas noted above work life balance is nonexistent and people managers don’t seem motivated to identify or execute a plan to change or support team members.

2 people found this review helpful
    4. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Not the company it used to be

Sep 11, 2022 - Director in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Lots of opportunity learn and work across the company.

Cons

Change in leadership has resulted in a cascade of stress, anxiety, and worsening work/life balance at all levels. Efforts to tighten up the financial belt has put staff in a position to do more with less. Balance is supported in word only - you’re bothered on days off and expected to put in long hours. Senior staff have become less supportive of junior staff at all levels. People are left to sink or swim (there is no time for adequate training), tough conversations are avoided giving people a sense that their performance is okay until it’s too late, and people are yelled at and denigrated, even at more senior levels. Many good people are leaving.

6 people found this review helpful
    5. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

The bad GREATLY outweighs the good

Sep 12, 2022 - Associate Director, Social Media
      Business Outlook

Pros

Remote work, decent pay for an agency, unlimited PTO

Cons

I had such high hopes when joining Real Chemistry. On the surface, it seemed like a great agency with upward mobility and a chance to work with great clients. Unfortunately, I found culture to be completely toxic. Read the other reviews and there is a common theme. Instead of addressing feedback directly, it often goes around you personally and to your manager or your managers manager. It's all very high school and just gives you intense levels of anxiety because you don't know who you can trust on the account teams. While there is some semblance of work/life balance, there is an unwritten expectation to be on and available well past your normal working hours. Being spread across multiple projects at such low utilization hours makes in next to impossible to do all the client work as promised. Budgeting and scoping seems to be a real issue across multiple accounts and timesheets are rejected constantly asking if you really spent 30 minutes doing a task or asking you to move time to internal/admin time because there isn't enough budget to go towards the work. There is a reason retention is so bad and so many good people are leaving after a year; the upper management doesn't want to invest the time in actually managing their direct reports and helping them grow. In my less than 1.5 years there, I was managed by three different managers after my first two quit.

8 people found this review helpful
    6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great Company w/ Great Growth Potential

Sep 7, 2022 - Director
      Business Outlook

Pros

I've worked at RC for over 5 years... for a reason. Love working with an integrated and smart team of individuals. People work hard but the collaboration among teams makes the work enjoyable. The company is also on top of email announcements supporting world changes/controversies so that employees have peace of mind as it relates to our company's external comms on the matter, how that impacts us internally, and related next steps. I appreciate a company that is on top of it when it comes to big news. Lastly, the company offers a 5 week paid sabbatical for every 5 years at the company - now this is my kind of employee incentive and I hope it remains a continual benefit!

Cons

Clients can be tough (like any agency) but RC is open and willing to move employees around as necessary. I also have heard that employees who leave the agency then come back are compensated more than those who've stayed longer and have heard people say "it's part of the agency game" which I hope isn't the case.

Employer Brand Manager

Thanks for sharing why you think Real Chemistry is a great place to work! We believe we are “Best Together,” and collaboration is core to creating innovative work and strong community. As Chief Communications, Culture, and Purpose officer I’m also happy to hear your appreciation of our company communications, particularly for any support we can lend as major changes arise around the world. It’s good to hear that you’ve benefited from this as an employee, along with our Benefits offerings like the Sabbatical program. Congrats on hitting this milestone anniversary! Finally, we are always happy to reconnect with “boomerangs,” who want to return to Real Chemistry. Our hiring efforts focus on providing people with the title and salary that is commensurate with their experience. --Wendy Carhart, Chief Communications, Culture, and Purpose Officer

7. 5.0
      Current Employee

A great company to grow with.

Aug 31, 2022 - Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

The unlimited PTO is truly unlimited, and the leaders have the employees' best interests at heart.

Cons

Plans can change due to things outside of the company's control.

Employer Brand Manager

Good to hear your feedback, and that you’ve taken advantage of our flexible PTO policy! We love to see how employees are managing their work/live balance, and vacation is a crucial part of giving yourself time off to recharge. --Brian Gibbons, Chief People Officer

8. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Real People are no longer part of the formula at Real Chemistry.

Aug 23, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Lots of talented people with genuine enthusiasm for the work

Cons

Unfortunately, as seen by the executive leadership team (ELT), those talented people in the “Pros” section above, have become an anonymous mass of disposable and easily replaceable company assets, swept up within the organization’s endless wash cycle of mounting fiscal ambition. People here burn out not so much from the overwhelming work, but more so from navigating the labyrinthian and toxic bureaucracy. In spite of doing anything they can to attract new talent, no effort is made to appreciate or retain that talent once it’s already here. There is zero interest from the ELT in taking time to understand the day-to-day reality of their employees nor to realize their individual value of those who actually turn the wheels of the organization. In the past two years, the sole focus of this company has been placed exclusively on preparing it for a handsome sale. All else - doing amazing work and especially taking care of the people - has been placed on the back burner. The company is in a cultural stasis, wearing their Sunday best, being primed and waiting for the richest dowry. Along with perpetual organizational change, motivated purely by obligation to the equity stakeholders, there is no support, no visible charted course, no guidance. It’s actually hard to work here and not because of the work itself. Alas, this once was a great company. It was vibrant and inspired. But where once stood a “Long Hallway”, now stands a sprawling, crooked maze. The value of Real People is no longer part of the formula at Real Chemistry.

16 people found this review helpful

Employer Brand Manager

Thank you for providing this feedback. We maintain that people –both our own employees and the people whose health care experience we are dedicated to improving—are at the core of what we do. And we are supporting our people in many ways – some of which were recently started to address some of the things you mention, including: • Facilitating connections and cultural moments in a hybrid work setting • Investing in development with billable time allocated towards learning • Deepening the onboarding process to support employees after they’re hired • Launching a new platform for employees to send each other recognition. All of these notices automatically loop in that individual’s manager, to ensure that people know “what it is you do here.” And, there are many changes happening with our infrastructure to simplify and automate where we can. So it’s easier to work here and we have clear and easy ways of working. All of these efforts set us up for success in the next 20+ years of Real Chemistry. --Wendy Carhart, Chief Communications, Culture, and Purpose Officer

9. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Good company to work for

Aug 22, 2022 - Account Manager in London, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great team and interesting work

Cons

Can be process heavy at times but getting better

10. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Stands out among the rest!

Aug 8, 2022 - Account Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

- company values transparency - lots of room to grow, if you have an interest in something they are great about doing everything they can to help you explore it - flexible, PTO and benefits are awesome especially compared to other big agencies

Cons

- restructuring/transitions can cause confusion for employees - could have stronger employee culture activities/employee appreciation but I know this is something they are working on

1 person found this review helpful

Employer Brand Manager

Thank you for sharing your #LifeatRealChem experience. We agree that professional growth, trying new things and support for employees are all incredibly important aspects of our culture and company. And we have had fast growth and change, which is sometimes hard to keep up with! We’re continuing to focus on communicating transparently and often to make these updates as seamless as possible. We’re also focused on building our culture, with opportunities to come together in person and the roll out of a new employee recognition platform to build comradery across the company. --Wendy Carhart, Chief Communications, Culture, and Purpose Officer

Viewing 1 - 10 of 361 Reviews

Real Chemistry Reviews FAQs

Real Chemistry has an overall rating of 3.5 out of 5, based on over 408 reviews left anonymously by employees. 56% of employees would recommend working at Real Chemistry to a friend and 59% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Real Chemistry employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.8 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Real Chemistry. This rating has improved by 1% over the last 12 months.

56% of Real Chemistry employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Real Chemistry 2.8 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.3 for culture and values and 3.6 for career opportunities.

Popular Careers with Real Chemistry Job Seekers