Schneider Employee Reviews about "home time"

Updated 17 Nov 2019

3.1
Schneider CEO Mark Rourke
Mark Rourke
Pros
  • "Schneider has many really great people(in 37 reviews)

• "Good home time for dedicated, get paid well if you run(in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • "Low pay for positions compared to similar roles at other companies(in 40 reviews)

• "Dispatch is not very knowledgeable(in 35 reviews)

Reviews about "home time"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Safety focused company with some basic issues"

2.0
    Current Employee - Class A Cdl Truck Driver in Indianapolis, IN
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Schneider full-time for less than a year

Pros

It's a company who touts safety first and actually means safety first, which in this industry is rare. I am running on a no touch- dedicated account which is what I was looking for when searching for new jobs. I have a pretty nice truck.

Cons

Like most companies, their recruiters promise things they won't keep. In this case, due to it being a dedicated account, I was told the average miles per week, the average pay, and home time. I understand a company cannot keep every promise it issues, but practically speaking, almost everything the recruiter told me is different then what he told me over the phone. I am gone for 8 to 10 days at a time, running decent miles, and the pay is no where near what he had said. Communication is a big key here, I was reprimanded early on for failing to communicate as much as they wanted me to. I fixed the issue and was commended for it, but management began to fail on their end. After a pretty bad load, where I was expected from a customer to move freight, even though I am not suppose to touch freight, as it is a NO-TOUCH job- I don't get paid to do such things. I called my manager, who relayed to me that he was on another call and asked what I needed. I told him to call me ASAP. Five days and ten calls later, and he still has yet to get back to me. This is the definition of unprofessional!

December 31, 2019Digital Media Representative

Thank you so much for your review and the feedback. Safety is our core value and we are so glad you experienced that first hand as a driver and value it as much as we do. We are truly sorry that you were not called back in a timely manner, we hope your DBL was able to correct the issue. Please continue to reach out to your DBL and any other of our driver support team when you have concerns. Be safe and take care.

"Great Training program but pay doesn't add up"

Former Employee - Inter-modal Driver in Baton Rouge, LA

I worked at Schneider full-time

Pros

Schneider has great training and a great company culture in Chicago.

Cons

Whatever the recruiter promises you should be taken with a grain of salt. They will have ads saying you could make $70,000 or 80,000 per year but even for a guy like me who hustles, I still was only grossing about 900 to 1200 per week. But you are only out for 3 weeks at a time, then you get to go home for a week. That was one of the great things about intermodal, but the pay does not line up with what they say in the ads. Even if you net $1000 per week for 3 weeks and then have the 4th week off, that comes out to $3000 per month that you are bringing home. If you say something about this to your driver manager, they will tell you to just stay out longer and don't go home after every 3 weeks, but that was one of the major selling points of taking this position, being able to go home after every 3 weeks for a full week off (2 days of travel and 5 days of actual home time). But lets say you didn't ever go home and lets say your average gross pay was $1000 per week. That still only comes out to $52,000. Throw a $10,000 bonus on top of that (if that is offered in your area) and you still only get to $62,000. At least that gets you closer to $70,000 ...just not close enough...especially since that means you don't ever go home, so it's not even realistic. So, realistically, expect to gross between $36,000 to $43000 per year (not including any hire-on bonus).

June 11, 2019Digital Media Representative

Thanks for the great review! You're right! Schneiders new trucks and great training make it a fantastic place to drive for. Integrity is our core value and we are very careful with the words in our ads. Pay is determined by experience, the account and location and we evaluate pay weekly to make sure we are competitive in the marketplace. Take care.

3. "Great company"

Current Employee - Dedicated Driver

I have been working at Schneider full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good home time for dedicated, get paid well if you run. Training and safety is great.

Cons

Allow monthly truck wash, clean trucks give a better appearance at the customer.

May 21, 2019Digital Media Representative

Thank you for the GREAT review! We're glad to hear you are enjoying your time at Schneider. And thank you for the suggestion driver feedback is always welcome and encouraged. Please share with your leader as well. Drive safe.

4. "That's truckin"

Former Employee - Class A Truck Driver in Des Moines, IA

I worked at Schneider full-time for less than a year

Pros

Can make good money on regional/otr you gotta have good time management. No camera. They are good at getting you back to your set home time. Can take the truck home with you

Cons

Even with good time management you can still have problems with shippers receivers, also equipment problems can happen. Switching to all automatics,cms,lane breaching. Not all trucks have apu's and inverters. Ambient temperature idle cutoff between 20 and 70. There solution for a cpap machine is a car battery and inverter of your truck doesn't have a inverter and if you cant idle the ciggie lighter cuts off at 12v. Vest/ phone policy

June 11, 2019Digital Media Representative

Thanks for the review! We're glad you enjoyed your driving job. Take care.

5. "Good training experience..."

Former Employee - Company Truck Driver in Houston, TX

I worked at Schneider full-time for less than a year

Pros

The training is very good, they give you average time but the instructors are good and know what to do.

Cons

The pay is miserable, and at least myself was lied to by the recruiter.....she said stuff that weren’t even close to be true..they told me I would be home weekly and over 34 hs....all crap, I had to argue because sometimes they did not find a load to get back and wanted me to stay away more days than agreed....total disrespect for your home time.

April 24, 2019Social Media Coordinator

Thanks for the review. We're glad you liked our training and instructors. Safety First is our number one core value. We appreciate your feedback and expect recruiters to provide accurate information and be transparent about the job duties. Take care.

6. "Great!"

I have been working at Schneider full-time

Pros

Home time and pay good

Cons

Less time requirement to transfer to O/O program from company side.

February 11, 2019Social Media Coordinator

Thanks for the five-star review! It's wonderful to hear that your experience with Schneider is going great. Take care and drive safe out there.

"Good training Poor Miles"

2.0
    Current Employee - OTR Truck Driver in Atlanta, GA
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Schneider full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good training good home time

Cons

Poor miles bad planners

January 18, 2019Social Media Coordinator

We're glad you found our top-notch training valuable. It's always our goal to maximize our driver's miles. Miles will increase as your time with Schneider does. As always, please reach out to your leader if you need any help. Thanks for the review.

"Intermodal"

Current Employee - Inter-modal Truck Driver in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Schneider full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay Flexibility in changing your type of work home time

Cons

you have to start on the least desirable accounts until you have experience

December 4, 2018Social Media Coordinator

Thanks for the great review! Schneider is proud to offer great pay, home time and career advancement opportunities for our wonderful drivers. Take care and drive safe.

9. "Great until they lost the Amazon Account"

Former Employee - CDL Driver in Richmond, VA

I worked at Schneider full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good Pay and decent home time flexibility

Cons

Poor communication during overnight hours

October 2, 2018Social Media Coordinator

Customer accounts are on a contract basis and we're always evaluating whether it makes business sense to haul for certain customers. We are currently working to make our overnight communications with drivers better and appreciate your feedback.

10. "Van truckload"

I have been working at Schneider full-time

Pros

Good home time. Fair money.

Cons

Regional driving is the same as Over the road

May 21, 2019Digital Media Representative

Thanks for the review! We're proud of our focus on safety, friendly associates and open door policy. We're happy to have you on the team! Drive safe.

Found 57 reviews