Singapore University of Technology and Design Reviews
63% would recommend to a friend
(413 total reviews)
Chong Tow Chong
77% approve of CEO
Top Review Highlights by Sentiment
Excerpts from user reviews, not authored by Glassdoor
- "Career progress is slow and salaries are low" (in 21 reviews)
- "Contract only and no bonus" (in 19 reviews)
- "No career progression in research unless you advance through graduate degrees" (in 17 reviews)
- "confusing management" (in 13 reviews)
- "Limited benefits for health insurance and sports." (in 11 reviews)
Found 413 of over 566 reviews
Updated 29 Nov 2023
- Most Recent
- Highest Rating
- Lowest Rating
- 5.06 Sept 2023ManagerCurrent Employee, more than 5 years
Great environment and colleagues. Direct HOD is great. Work life balance is pretty good too.
Canteen on campus is horrible. Only saving grace is a sandwich cafe.
- 4.029 Nov 2023Senior Research AssistantCurrent Employee, more than 3 yearsSingapore
- Very chill and laid out work culture - Flexible working hours - Research opportunity - Excellent avenue to upskill
- Senior Management doesn't give a flying fish to your requests and issues - Most of the time you're alone (depending on how you see it it can be a plus) - HR benefits are very limited - Very poor annual increment and bonus policy, basically the variable pay component isn't enough to support anything
- 1.022 Jun 2023Postdoctoral ResearcherFormer Employee, more than 3 yearsSingapore
Staff housing is a very good perk in an expensive city Diverse as expected in Singapore Some bosses and peers are really doing their best to keep the ship alive
The biggest red flag for this workplace is the high rotation rate of employees. It is not rare to receive automatic replies from ex-employees indicating that they no longer work at this place. This problem is endemic to staff, researchers, and now even faculty members. The management processes are inefficient and pointless, there's a lot of red tape everywhere and the red tape is only there for liability reasons and not to solve any issue in particular. As a matter of fact, a lot of this red tape only makes everything run worse, but I guess it helps to shift the blame is something goes unexpected. New IT tools that are supposed to make employees lives easier do not solve any of these issues and only create additional red tape. Communication of critical information is almost nonexistent and in the cases where you receive this information, it arrives too late. Nevertheless, there is an endless spam of non-relevant information by email. The university is facing serious challenges to survive. The university is sandwiched between the prestige and history of traditional universities in Singapore, and the meteoric rise of new public universities that did not got behind as this one. There is an attempt at creating an appropriate infrastructure and environment for research, but in many cases this end without career growth opportunities and eventually the cycle of being unable to retain talent repeats.10
- 4.023 Nov 2023Anonymous EmployeeFormer Employee, more than 3 years
Generally collaborative culture, and people are nice to work with.
The in-house finance portal can be frustrating to use.
- 4.026 Oct 2023Senior Research AssistantCurrent Employee, more than 1 yearSingapore
My work constituted in software development of mobile robots using ROS. The work was good. A good place to contribute if you want to pursue a career in research and academic track. Flexible timings to work.
But growth is constant if you are not intending to pursue a PhD. The maximum hike in the contract renewal will be 7% and depends on the professor you are working with.
- 4.029 Oct 2023Senior Research AssistantCurrent Employee, more than 3 yearsSingapore
Flexibility on work time Friendly environment Well equipped with resources
High level of beaurocracy Slow admin and finance
Singapore University of Technology and Design Reviews FAQs
Singapore University of Technology and Design has an overall rating of 3.8 out of 5, based on over 566 reviews left anonymously by employees. 63% of employees would recommend working at Singapore University of Technology and Design to a friend and 53% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -6% over the last 12 months.
According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Singapore University of Technology and Design employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.2 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Singapore University of Technology and Design. This rating has decreased by -4% over the last 12 months.
63% of Singapore University of Technology and Design employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Singapore University of Technology and Design 4.0 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.6 for culture and values and 3.2 for career opportunities.