Soho House & Co Employee Reviews about "management"
49% would recommend to a friend
(251 total reviews)
45% approve of CEO
Found 251 of over 946 reviews
Updated 28 Nov 2023
- Most Recent
- Highest Rating
- Lowest Rating
Top Review Highlights by Sentiment
Excerpts from user reviews, not authored by Glassdoor
- "Good pay and referral bonus" (in 46 reviews)
- "Great people with a passion for hospitality" (in 42 reviews)
- "Good benefits and the ability to grow within the company." (in 39 reviews)
- "The staff was great and it felt like a team who had your back." (in 26 reviews)
- "Good salary and Future growing" (in 24 reviews)
Reviews about "management"Return to all Reviews
- 2.03 Feb 2022ServerFormer Employee, less than 1 yearAustin, TX
Soho House will make you feel very special during Induction Week by paying you a high wage during on-boarding. You will probably be excited about working for an international brand with the potential to advance and, perhaps, work abroad one day. During the PowerPoint presentation, management is going to tell you a lot of great stories about houses and celebrities that will enchant you and build team camaraderie. You will leave Induction Week with the perspective that Soho is a highly organized and caring company. Soho House has great ideals; however, you will soon discover that they don't abide by their ideals in practice. The only "Pros" of Soho are your fellow co-workers. Soho attracts a lot of interesting employees that are seeking a new beginning. A few awesome coworkers will make up for the overall lack of proper management. Soho is a great place to make a quick buck and run!
1) Soho presents itself as an extremely Diverse & Equal company; however, all of its upper-level management is White and Male. Often times, Soho runs more like a Frat House than an actual corporation. Soho engages in a high degree of nepotism. 2) Soho House promotes on the basis of style and charm as opposed to a worker’s ability. A lot of incompetent people are in upper-level positions. They lack real work ethic. 3) Soho does not abide by its own Standard Operating Procedures. Houses lack coordination/communication and are terrible at solving simple problems. If you bring up an issue in SOP, it will be ignored. Soho likes to ignore problems and pretend they don't exist. In regard to problems, Soho is reactive not proactive. 4) The floor managers and kitchen managers are overworked, while the Chef and House CEO chill. This is a great company to work for if you are at the top of the food chain. 5) 'Soho House has never made an operating profit in its 26-year history.' This company operates with an extreme debt-to-income ratio. Poor finances are indicative of poor management. 6) Soho House is not receptive to advice or critique. Soho lets its upper-level management and House CEO make arbitrary decisions while ignoring the advice of its workers and floor/kitchen managers. Soho is out of touch with the reality of day-to-day operations. If you have years of experience, they won't value your professional opinion. 7) Soho misrepresents itself to employees. It presents itself as an extremely Equitable, Organized, and Caring company when in fact it is the exact opposite. Why try so hard to lie?17
- 1.012 Jan 2023WaitressFormer Employee, less than 1 yearBrighton, England
there are none avoid like plague
AWFUL MANAGEMENT! they dont know what theyre doing and its falling apart.... literally. workplace bullying, harassment, rudeness, they don't want you to do well at ur job cause they're worried you step on managers toes. defensive management with half not ever worked in hospitality before. BAD PAY, recently decreased. Expected tips - one week got 80P in tips even though i'd seen 3 bills from that week with 200£+ in tips. Greedy, horrible people. People leaving left right and centre and anyone still there is absolute nutta. Had 4 managers since august alone. awful organisation. supposed to be full time there's no workplace balanced. was promised 25 hours some weeks there would be 0. offered to send me to OXFORD?! sorry no thanks. no consistency they know its falling apart
- 1.019 May 2018Front Desk AgentFormer Employee, less than 1 yearChicago, IL
-Great health benefits and 401k match -Potential to meet interesting Soho House members
-Gossip and drama are rampant within the company, moreso than any company I've ever worked at -VERY poor pay, with some managers making under $25/hour -Upper management is closed minded and unwilling to discuss business development with employees outside of inner circle -Male-dominated upper management -Caste system where employees are considered 'the help' -No clear career path3Soho House & Co Response6y
Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback. I have reviewed your feedback with our management team and are sorry that we didn’t meet your expectations. We are committed to have a diverse work environment with more than 70% of our mgmt. team being minorities and with more than 75% of our management team promoted from within and starting with us as a line staff, so I am very sorry you didn’t find a clear career path with us. We also strive to be on the top of the market in wages and benefits with these being reviewed every 6 months, so I am sorry this didn’t meet your expectations. We work very hard to make sure everyone is treated with respect and feel valued and we collect feedback from the staff thru our monthly all staff meetings, NETMA meetings, Coffee Chats, Departmental Meetings, Focus Groups, Breakfasts with the GM, Cook House / Dinner & Lunch meetings, etc., but I will make sure to spend more time on the floor connecting with staff like you to make sure that expectations are being met. Having a respectful and productive work environment while having a Good Time at work is in our Ethos. Again I am sorry that our efforts didn’t meet your expectations and will continue to work hard to make sure SHC is taking care our amazing staff. If you would like to share more about your experience please contact me by emailing Viviana.email@example.com so that we can set up a time to talk. Thank you again for your feedback and wish you the best in your future endeavors. Best, Viviana People and Development Manager
- 3.07 Oct 2023Food RunnerFormer Employee
The atmosphere was fun, customers were usually pleasant and engaging. The pay was great and the co-workers were usually really helpful and fun to work with. Managers often would join the normal staff during busy shifts, and they really helped out when things got busy.
Poor planning and lack of accountability for underperforming employees often made shifts difficult. Certain employees were underperforming or showing up late and management did not address this. The hard workers had to cover their inadequacies and it left us burned out. Also unclear expectations from managers regarding duties during shifts.1
- 1.028 Jan 2021ArchitectCurrent Employee, more than 3 yearsLondon, England
Great projects to work on, if you are given the opportunity.
Working in the design department at Soho House is tough. It is not a level playing field with the 'clique' of staff who have been there for years and are friends with management. They have priorities and opportunities over many other staff members which is unfair, a lot of which do not even have design or architecture degrees. Everyone is aware of this and nobody addresses it. The social vibe is very strange- a bit like being at school where everyone is talking about each other and also very intimidated by management who use their powers in the wrong ways. The way they have dealt with the pandemic is shocking- letting go of staff with little warning and compassion and intimidating the remainder7
- 2.07 Apr 2019Banking and Night ManagerFormer Employee, less than 1 yearLondon, England
Big company with a lot of opportunities if it’s managed nicely. Seems to be a good owner really which is keen to put his company on the top but missing the right management.
Long unpaid working hours (kind of forced labor really ) rude managers and very arrogant , stuff is always changing due to the bad management and wrong behavior and because of the way how they treat them . You would be happy to leave once you settle down your situation with them. Don’t waste your time and avoid the stress with them .4
- 4.016 May 2023BartenderFormer Employee, less than 1 yearChicago, IL
Great Co-workers, fun environment and vey good benefits. Loved that we could use the whenever we wanted gym even if officially we only supposed to use it before 5 am. Management was flexible and very accommodating.
Did not make enough for the hours that I worked. And could not transfer to bars in the same building that were higher paying
- 4.013 Jun 2023Front Desk AgentCurrent Employee, less than 1 yearNew York, NY
Great people, great clients, fair benefits.
Disorganized and apathetic management. They say they want inter-company growth but don't give raises/promotions actively.
- 4.07 Sept 2016Anonymous EmployeeCurrent Employee, less than 1 yearNew York, NY
Great group of co-workers Creative atmosphere Fun place to work Management staff is experienced and skilled Lots of opportunity for growth Great benefits
Long hours Work/life balance is hard to acheive