The Washington Post Reviews

Updated 12 Jan 2021

4.5
The Washington Post CEO and Publisher Frederick J. Ryan Jr.
Frederick J. Ryan Jr.
Pros
  • "The Post offers a great work/life balance(in 29 reviews)

• "work on the business side goes directly to support important work in journalism(in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • "Newsroom diversity still an issue(in 18 reviews)

• "Diversity is still an issue in the newsroom, as well as in upper management(in 13 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. Featured Review

"Dynamic workplace where big ideas shine"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at The Washington Post full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The Washington Post is a great place to work. I always feel like my contributions are valued by managers and by the organization as a whole. Big ideas are encouraged and supported. Cross-departmental collaboration is a part of almost every project, which brings you in contact with all kinds of people, all at the top of their game.

Cons

For the most part, The Post is a great place to work. It is a big company, and like other big companies, projects can occasionally get snagged up by bureaucracy.

October 9, 2020The Washington Post Team

We're glad to hear your contributions are valued by your manager and by the company as a whole. It's the type of company we strive to be!

2. "Great company with many opportunities to grow"

Current Employee - Designer

I have been working at The Washington Post full-time

Pros

The Washington Post continues to expand as a company, and with that you get the chance to grow in your career. There are many opportunities and no day looks the same.

Cons

Hours are inconsistent and you are at the mercy of the news cycle.

"Great culture, meaningful work, zero egos."

Current Employee - Senior Product Designer in New York, NY

I have been working at The Washington Post full-time for less than a year

Pros

- The work culture is great. Everyone I've worked with from engineering to the newsroom is very collaborative. Zero egos. - Leadership is hands-on. They care about you and the work that you do. Senior management will know you by name. - They promote internally. A lot of companies get talent from outside but WaPo has a culture of cultivating talent from the inside first before looking elsewhere. - Work is extremely meaningful. Everyone shares in the goal of the pursuit of truth and that democracy dies in darkness. - Work-life-balance is extremely good!

Cons

- Compensation package is below average if you work in technology. You get no guaranteed annual bonus or stock options. Management is actively working on this and hopefully, we get to parity with other companies. - Turnover is high on the engineering side as a result - great talent are being poached by tech companies. - 401k package is below average but the WaPo does match - HMO is limited to those based in DC, MD and VA. If you work out of state, prepare to get on a high deductible plan. - Annual increases are merit-based and it is unclear how you are able to get it. (You and your team might score high in your performance review but someone with a lower score could get the increase.)

December 21, 2020The Washington Post Team

Thank you for taking the time to write a detailed review. It’s great to see that you experience a collaborative work culture, hands-on leadership and growth at The Post. With compensation, we aim to pay our employees fairly and equitably. If you are concerned with your pay, please reach out to hr@washpost.com and we’ll set up a review for you with our compensation team. Thanks for being part of The Washington Post team and please always feel free to give us feedback on here or by emailing life@washpost.com.

4. "Fast-paced newsroom"

4.0
    Former Employee - Editor

I worked at The Washington Post full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There's a wide breadth of knowledge in the newsroom, as well as opportunities for development and growth, but only if you're willing to put in very long hours.

Cons

There is an over-reliance on analytics and clicks to dictate content, rather than letting newsworthiness guide story assignments.

January 12, 2021The Washington Post Team

Thank you for writing about your experience at The Washington Post. We’re glad you’ve experienced development and growth while working at The Post. We strive to make development opportunities available across the organization with programs such as The Leadership Project and The Growth Project. If you’d like to learn more about these programs, feel free to email us at life@washpost.com.

5. COVID-19

"Great company, great opportunities, great work environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at The Washington Post full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Prestigious company, industry leader, household name. - Respectful professional atmosphere where employees are valued. - Prioritizes ownership and discourages overbearing micromanagement. - Excellent response to COVID-19, putting employee safety first. It was one of the first companies to move to work from home.

Cons

- Owned by world's richest person

December 14, 2020The Washington Post Team

We appreciate you taking the time to write a review about your experience at The Post. Valuing our employees is our top priority, so we are glad to see that the culture reflects that. Diversity is a focus at The Post. We added multiple positions earlier this year because of this important goal. Regarding compensation, we want to ensure our employees are paid fairly and equitably. If you have a concern about your pay, please reach out to hr@washpost.com and we will set up a review for you with our compensation team. Thank you for being a part of the team and if you ever want to give us more detailed feedback, feel free to reach out to life@washpost.com.

6. "You cannot work at a better place than TWP - I love it here"

Current Employee - Client Partner in New York, NY

I have been working at The Washington Post full-time for more than a year

Pros

Here teamwork means not only collegiality, transparency and collaboration but also well-being and supportive. We are all collectively working with a sense of profound purpose and our Leadership team sets a terrific tone in empowering us, no matter what position you are, be it a journalist, editor, advertising or facilities in being a part to that purpose and cause which is truth while being compassionate. Democracy Dies in Darkness is so true and I am glad to be a part of it.

Cons

Having experienced and understanding Leadership means you are able to recognize and resolve any issues; and no company that I have worked at can successfully say that can do this, the way we have here.

December 21, 2020The Washington Post Team

Thank you for the passion and dedication you bring to The Post. Having a sense of purpose is a great contribution to the work we do here across all departments. If you have any other comments, feel free to confidentially email us at life@washpost.com.

"I feel bad for people who still work there, except management, who deserve it"

1.0
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Washington, DC
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at The Washington Post full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Good name recognition for your resume - Good location - There’s a nursing room

Cons

- The diversity they tout in hiring isn’t reflected in the office because of high turnover in certain demographics. I was hired onto a diverse team. Then all the Black women were “laid off” the same week a couple men were hired. - Too few managers (mine told me he had over 60 direct reports to review, to explain why he skipped my evaluation) - Management gives useless feedback - Junior engineers are left to drown in a lake of crunch time - Pay is low - Engineers aren’t allowed in the union - Muslim employees get kicked out of their assigned prayer spots without notice

8. "Depends on team"

2.0
    Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Washington, DC

I have been working at The Washington Post full-time

Pros

Good culture overall depending on your team

Cons

Not all teams are good, depends which you work on

December 21, 2020The Washington Post Team

Thank you for being a part of the design team and reviewing your experience at The Washington Post. While we like knowing that you believe in the culture here, we do want to understand your concerns about our teams. Please confidentially email us with more information at life@washpost.com.

9. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Washington, DC

I have been working at The Washington Post full-time for more than a year

Pros

Able to work full remote and still feel connected to my team. Great benefits especially maternity leave benefits. The most professional and knowledgeable people I've ever worked with. Also the most diverse team I've ever worked on.

Cons

Client based projects so you have to bill hours to projects

November 18, 2020The Washington Post Team

"The most professional and knowledgeable people I've ever worked with." That's what we love to hear. The people behind The Post make it a special place to work. Thanks for being part of the team!

10. COVID-19

"GREAT CARING COMPANY!"

I have been working at The Washington Post full-time for less than a year

Pros

Very caring and understanding during these times during the pandemic. Promotes a healthy work and life balance. Upper management is always will to offer training and help to become successful in your position

Cons

Pay and benefits could be better!

November 18, 2020The Washington Post Team

These are indeed unprecedented times especially as we continue to work from home since March. A team meets daily to make sure we're supporting the team during the pandemic. We're glad you see and feel that. Thanks for being part of The Washington Post team!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 381 English Reviews