ThoughtWorks Principal Consultant Reviews | Glassdoor.sg

Updated 13 Nov 2019

2.3
ThoughtWorks CEO Guo Xiao
Guo Xiao
  1. "Come for the people, stay for the people"

Former Employee - Principal Consultant in Sydney
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

People, responsibility, Variety, freedom, transparency, leading tech

Cons

Stress, Variety, support, Travel, something

ThoughtWorks2019-11-13

"Not what it was, has devolved into a higher end body shop"

Former Employee - Principal Consultant in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

You might get to meet Martin Fowler

Cons

Everything else. Seriously. This is a company where good talent goes to be exploited. They hire great talent, promise the world, underpay people by over 50%, and make talent that has skills to start companies and change the world build things that do not matter and are not interesting. Do you have the talent to get into Google, but want to get paid 50% of your market rate, never see your family (100% travel... required), and write boring Java code for grocery stores or banks? Come to ThoughtWorks! We will put you on a plane to amazing locations like Ohio, Delaware, and Oklahoma City while you work on your 4th divorce!

Advice to Management

Sell yourselves as soon as possible.

ThoughtWorks2019-10-05
  3. "Amazing journey"

Former Employee - Principal Consultant in Dallas, TX

I worked at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

ThoughtWorks has some of the best and brightest people in the industry. They will challenge you to be your best every day. I had the chance to try our a variety of roles throughout my journey. The flexibility and support for career development is great.

Cons

Traveling to clients every week can get tiresome after a while. The non-hierarchcial management structure can make finding internal leadership opportunities challenging.

ThoughtWorks2016-01-26

"Great company to work for"

Principal Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at ThoughtWorks for more than 3 years

Pros

Some really good people. Lots of learning opportunities. Interesting work. Flattish structure. Heart in absolutely right place.

Cons

Does not pay market salary. Flat structure confusing in terms of reporting lines

Advice to Management

People come to TW for interesting work and interesting colleagues. Dont take on unaligned work or you would break the model.

ThoughtWorks2015-07-01
  5. "Software Developer"

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Toronto, ON

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Working at ThoughtWorks has been an absolutely amazing experience. I've worked shoulder to shoulder with the brightest minds in technology today, met and worked with my heroes, and travelled the world (India, Africa, US, Canada), all while solving amazingly interesting, super tough challenges with exciting technologies.

Cons

Travel is often amazing, but sometimes a drawback. If you're willing to travel for ThoughtWorks however, it opens up your career to the global market, which really increases the quality of the work you have access to.

ThoughtWorks2015-04-28

"Awesome opportunities"

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Melbourne

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

ThoughtWorks is a company that really delivers on what it promises from a cultural perspective. Opportunities to lead are available from within your office, country or globally.

Cons

I have not yet met a senior consultant who has moved to ThoughtWorks to get a pay rise. The culture and opportunities generally exceed the payroll anyway.

Advice to Management

Please remember where you have come from. Leading the company must be great, but remember that you are still a consultant and a ThoughtWorker.

ThoughtWorks2014-09-09
  7. "Self selected group"

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Chengdu, Sichuan

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Almost allow you to do anything you like to do. All kinds of opportunities across various countries and industries. Very supportive leadership teams providing mentoring and coaching.

Cons

...only when you are proactive and self-motivated. When you are not, you will soon find yourself staying in a silent corner without "structural support" you might expect to happen automatically, or you will be send to boring clients to do some boring work. But, hey, at the end of the day, since you don't have a preference on what you want to do, what is the base to complain "that's something I don't want to... do"? Summary: it's heaven for some people and hell for some other. If you find it doesn't fit you, quit quickly and join IBM.

ThoughtWorks2014-07-25
  8. "The zero politics, true collaboration company"

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in London, England

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flat, no hierarchy, small company feel, servant leadership, outstanding people, technology visionaries, operates to board level.

Cons

Travel (although same challenge as any consulting company).

Advice to Management

Incredible demand for services already - can more be done to assist clients in business strategy

ThoughtWorks2014-04-29

"Loved working with lights-out brilliant people. Great place to spend a year; TW on your resume is a great door opener."

Former Employee - Principal Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

You'll learn alot - about technology, about yourself, about people.You'll learn at an incredible rate - mostly due to the smart people who will surround you. Of course - that will depend on the projects on which you get slapped. ThoughtWorks' approach to agile is better than that of any other company I've seen. When you travel, you're often with at least several others who are also traveling. Offers... opportunities to socialize with colleagues in strange cities. Most ThoughtWorkers don't like Scrum. They prefer XP. This is good. Agile engineering practices are vital to successful implementation of agile. You'll learn this.

Cons

Travel can be onerous for those who want to maintain their personal relationships where they live (e.g. spouses, kids, friends). You don't often get a choice in where you end up. Fort Lauderdale in the winter? Great. New Hampshire? Not so much. You'll hear that you have a say in where you go, but you often don't have much of a choice at all. Flat hierarchy sounds nice, but can impart a significant political... toll on your career. I know at least a dozen excellent folks who have been fired for various reasons - political, scapegoats for projects, folks not willing to violate their own sense of integrity to push company objectives that were incongruent with their values. Decide whether to fly under the radar, or challenge the radar itself. I know many current TWorkers who chose the former. I know ex-TWorkers who chose the latter. Politically, conservative views are poison here. There's a contingent there who thinks that Venezuela - under Chavez - was the model government. The predominant view is for bigger government. Contrary to the claim that dissenting/challenging views are accepted at the company, I've seen such expressions emit firestorms and tank careers. One very high level leader oscillates between saying he's a communist and that he's a socialist. If you're aligned with this - no problem. If not, consider staying under the radar with your views. Bill your hours to the client, then do your ThoughtWorks work. Expenses. Interviewing. Booking travel. Code Reviews for candidates. Working on RFP's. You get the picture. Be sure that you continue to bill your 40 hours though. Bill 60 hours on a project week after week? Not even an attagirl. Another integrity issue: SVIP.

Advice to Management

Eliminate the political favoritism. Provide some leadership training to those who are running the offices. TW mantra is "Attitude, Aptitude, and Integrity". Rate yourselves on these dimensions. Have a retrospective on it. Ask employees - anonymously - where they see a dearth

ThoughtWorks2014-03-17

"ThoughtWorks is great in so many ways, but the lifestyle is draining."

Former Employee - Principal Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great Culture Great Benefits Work with Best and Brightest

Cons

Travel Work / Life Balance Developer Centric

ThoughtWorks2014-02-16