ThoughtWorks Reviews

4.2
ThoughtWorks President and CEO Guo Xiao
Guo Xiao
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. Featured Review

"Great culture and focus on people!"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Singapore

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than a year

Pros

- The company in general and the Singapore office focusses a lot on growing people and giving them opportunities to step up and shine - Great place to work if you are self motivated and like to control and drive your career and shape it the way you want - Normal for people to join as a developer and then switch across roles, complete flexibility. - Lot of training and capability building opportunities for all TWers and a good personal development budget for every TWer. I had the opportunity to attend a conference in Berlin using the budget. - The People (HR) team is awesome, and they focus on ensuring every TWer is looked after and provided the necessary support. - For most of the projects, as technical consultants we are given the opportunity to shape the product and decide the infrastructure - Probably the first technical team I have worked as a developer where the gender diversity ration is exactly 1:1.

Cons

- Although working hours are quite balanced, sometimes a little bit extra effort is required, especially closer to delivery dates. - Not be the highest payer in the market when it comes to compensation, but employees are attracted by the culture and focus on people. - Might be a bit challenging for folks who are waiting to get direction or too used to working for a manager.

Continue reading
  2. "Good and friendly environment"

Former Employee - Software Consultant in Singapore
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flat hierarchy Friendly and open culture that is open to help Good software engineering practices

Cons

Compensation could have been better

3. "Great place to learn & grow"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time

Pros

Professionalism and team. Multiple projects to work on

Cons

It's a service company- dealing with unhappy clients.

January 7, 2021ThoughtWorker

Thank you for your review. As you mentioned, since we're a consultancy, the work we do with clients will vary however we aim to be an awesome partner for our clients and build the best solutions possible. We hope you're enjoying your time here with us. Thanks again!

4. COVID-19

"Good Culture But More Required"

Former Employee - Consultant in Singapore

I worked at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

1. Unlike other IT consultancies out there, consultants in TW really pay attention to software quality, devops automation and good coding practices. This is a good place to learn these skills. 2. There are many project sharing sessions, books clubs event etc. 3. No jerks policy - Many TW-ers you will meet are very friendly and jerks usually do not last long in TW. The management takes care of employees even during Covid-19 by sending snacks and hand-written cards.

Cons

1. Echoing what the previous reviews mentioned, there are limited trainings available in TW SEA. To add more details, most of the trainings in SEA are tapping onto programmes conducted by other TW offices or conducted by consultants who happen to be free. In SEA, there are also only 2-3 training licenses (e.g. PluralSight) being shared and rotated among hundreds of consultants and you can only keep one license for 3 months which is hardly enough. The personal training budget is also insufficient. 2. There are usually gaps between what was promised pre-hire and after hire. Have spoken to many new folks who are interested and expecting to do frontend or analytics from their interviews conversations but were all staffed to be full stack engineers. This might be because interviews, staffing and actual projects are handled by different people who are not aligned. 3. Attrition is high. Experienced consultants usually leave after a year or two, usually for higher compensation or job scopes better aligned with their own career interests. At the same time, there are many fresh graduates being hired. While I agree we can train fresh grads to be good developers, it will take time. We need to retain more experienced and talented individuals in TW first. This trend of TW SEA becoming bottom-heavy in terms of experience is getting worrisome for slips in capabilities and quality.

"Genuinely people-first"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Singapore

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Leadership does see themselves as leadership instead of "management", and listens to the ground, while balancing business growth. Having been in previous companies before that have competent leadership too, this stands out. - Pivoted to remote work due to C19 swiftly despite complexity of having to manage client expectations. Was also easy since TW has operated on a trust-basis in terms of working hours from a long time ago. - structure of company is improving since before the sale of the company to APAX, more consistency and transparency as a result. - Keen focus on growth and cultivation, not just lip service. Internal capability growth tools and sessions on top of personal development budget. - Colleagues are outstanding and high-calibre.

Cons

- Compensation & benefits is just alright. Definitely has room to improve versus the market. - While technical skills of teammates are great, soft skills gap can sometimes be seen in certain client situations.

"Excellent continuous learning support!"

Current Employee - Consultant in Singapore

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than a year

Pros

- The company is huge on continuous learning, people you meet in the company generally will be very driven to learn and grow their skills. This is also supported by the company's dedicated personal budget for learning each employee is entitled to as well as learning platform. - Flat hierarchy - Both senior and junior devs have almost equal standing when it comes to voicing your opinions in team discussions. Junior devs are very much encouraged to be active in technical discussions and get to work closely with clients - You have the freedom and space of what you want to focus on and you'll be supported by your team/company. For example, you can focus more on being Infrastructure Engineer after a period of time focusing on App Development. - Really appreciate the feedback culture in the company - Most teams will practice regular feedback so you'll know where you stand and keep improving. - Some ThoughtWorkers are thought leaders in the industry too, it is very normal to see colleagues speaking at conferences, writing books, etc - Personally find it very inspiring. - The company is also huge and serious in making social impact in the world. There is a dedicated coordinator for all the social initiatives driven by the company, making it easier for employees to be engaged in social initiatives sustainably.

Cons

- Since the company is in consulting business, there will be times when you're on the beach (or bench, in general consulting term). During this time, you will not be working on client projects but you're expected to drive your own learning. - Lateral-hire training/onboarding can be better. Felt quite lost when I joined the company at first. And teams are generally working in silos in each client project, so if you're new and has no projects yet, it can be tough to get to know other employees. - Salary-wise is not the highest in the industry. Though there is 13th month bonus, there isn't performance-related bonus.

7. "great"

4.0
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Singapore

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time

Pros

- great company with a focus on people

Cons

- recently been hiring at a very rapid rate

8. "Just so so"

I worked at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

A flexible workspace and nice mates

Cons

Too many office politics in the leads and principles, they don't respect tech excellent nowadays.

November 6, 2020Community Manager

Hello and thank you for taking the time to review ThoughtWorks. It's important for us to pass your feedback to the leadership team and head of technology, however, we're unable to see a location attached to this post - if you would be happy to do so, please get in touch with me lhinton@thoughtworks.com and I can pass details across, however, I understand that you may wish to remain anonymous - Laura Hinton, community manager, UK.

"Design team - a sinking ship"

2.0
    Current Employee - User Experience Designer in Singapore

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

TW overall is a good company but try to avoid design because of design leaders.

Cons

Company says they want to focus and grow the design so they decided to put two head of design for a team of 20 people? which doesn't make any sense. I have been working with them for quite a long time now and I can say both lack design skills and the leader mindset.  All they can do is just one thing... "TALK". Both can't deliver. I doubt if they have ever done any end to end design delivery.  Both head of design behave like mothers "do this, do that". They don't want to give autonomy to the team and want to control everything. Yup almost everything. e.g if both are busy the team gets messages like we can't make it today, let's cancel today's meet. We'll put something new" which never happens. Every team conversation is just about two buzz words, 'Value' and 'Impact' but the team always wonders what exactly does that mean? I bet just like the team they also don't know what both words are and they just use them to show off. It's quite common in the office to use buzz words. Both ladies have two faces. One for TW & SG leadership team and this face is very shiny, everything is going excellent, we are leaders and design is adding tremendous value, another one is with a team which is very dark and scary. There is literally zero team communication which happens because nobody has any interest. Why because both leaders fail to create that environment for the team which TW MD's and HR failed to see and understand.Team feels both are incapable and lousy design leaders. It's just no one wants to talk about this because all they care about is just doing the job and getting a salary. Everyone in the design team is on the verge of leaving TW because of these two. Maybe that's the reason people have started moving out of TW. There are other tons of points but i know nothing will happen because TW MD's will just talk to these two and both are smart enough to cover and brainwash MD's. It's just hopeless. They have decided to hire Sr and Lead designers instead of promoting internally. Why? Because both leaders fail to connect designers/team or mentor designers so that they can grow.  All both care about is their 'own' growth and faking around. Question is who will save TW SG Design team?

August 14, 2020

Thank you for your feedback. We wanted to take some time to address some of the things you raised. One of our goals this year is to further grow and develop the design team. To do this, we chose to pair two design leads, who both have over 25 years of design/delivery experience combined, to focus on developing the team but also give them the opportunity to grow into a new leadership role. While we acknowledge that with any change there are always challenges, we also believe it is important to give ThoughtWorkers the chance to grow and expand their roles and skills. This comes at a risk for the organization but we believe it’s a risk that we have to take in order to give our people new opportunities. In line with our culture of open feedback, we hope every ThoughtWorker feels comfortable and safe to approach any leader, including MD’s, to share and discuss ways to improve. We would like to invite you to bring this conversation directly to the leadership team and to the design leads directly for the betterment of each ThoughtWorker and the organization. As we continue to grow at the current pace, it is even more critical for this kind of feedback to be shared so that we can continue to grow in the right direction, learn, and pivot quickly when needed. - Jessie Xia, Managing Director, ThoughtWorks Southeast Asia

"All that glitters is not gold"

1.0
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than a year

Pros

A few old TWers are good and you can get inspiration from them.

Cons

To much fake and pretentious. It seems company is only running on marketing. Too much noise makers. Less quality in delivery.

May 1, 2020

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. We believe our community is our strongest asset: the passionate teammates we have working in both professional services and operations bring a variety of backgrounds, views, and ideas to ThoughtWorks. It's disappointing to read that you've encountered teammates who seem fake or pretentious, as those are qualities that aren't aligned with our values. We do, however, encourage everyone to feel empowered to provide feedback, so we appreciate you taking the time to share this with us.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 1,278 English Reviews