Thoughtworks Reviews

Found 1,685 of over 2,114 reviews

4.4
Thoughtworks President and CEO Guo Xiao
Guo Xiao
Pros
  • "The work life balance of employees are given importance(in 102 reviews)

• "You get to work with some of the really smart people(in 98 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Work life balance to some extend(in 49 reviews)

• "Being a consultancy there is no real ownership of the work being done(in 24 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year
      Featured Review

Great culture and focus on people!

Oct 26, 2020 - Senior Consultant in Singapore
      Business Outlook

Pros

- The company in general and the Singapore office focusses a lot on growing people and giving them opportunities to step up and shine - Great place to work if you are self motivated and like to control and drive your career and shape it the way you want - Normal for people to join as a developer and then switch across roles, complete flexibility. - Lot of training and capability building opportunities for all TWers and a good personal development budget for every TWer. I had the opportunity to attend a conference in Berlin using the budget. - The People (HR) team is awesome, and they focus on ensuring every TWer is looked after and provided the necessary support. - For most of the projects, as technical consultants we are given the opportunity to shape the product and decide the infrastructure - Probably the first technical team I have worked as a developer where the gender diversity ration is exactly 1:1.

Cons

- Although working hours are quite balanced, sometimes a little bit extra effort is required, especially closer to delivery dates. - Not be the highest payer in the market when it comes to compensation, but employees are attracted by the culture and focus on people. - Might be a bit challenging for folks who are waiting to get direction or too used to working for a manager.

8 people found this review helpful
    2. 5.0
      Former Employee

Good company to work for

Mar 29, 2021 - Software Developer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good welfare,good colleagues and good career progression

Cons

None I can think of

Be the first to find this review helpful

ThoughtWorker

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! We're glad you enjoyed your time working here. Best of luck in your new role.

3. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Good culture, but lower pay

May 3, 2021 - Consultant
      Business Outlook

Pros

The organisation has a flat hierarchy, so it is easy to voice out your opinions and feel safe about it. It is also very open about decision-making, and the company values everyone’s opinions.

Cons

The main downside for me is the pay (I work with more junior DEVs from our partners with a much higher pay). Other than that, the organisation emphasises a lot on sharing and self-improvement, which gets hard to cope with after awhile.

1 person found this review helpful
    4. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

good place for learning, hard to get career progression.

Apr 28, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Singapore
      Business Outlook

Pros

- good learning environment - promotes diversity and inclusiveness - great work life balance

Cons

- they are very big on "culture" but if you look deeper, alot of people are just fake and trying to fit in and be what they think the company expects them to be. - difficult to attain career progression as quite flat structured

4 people found this review helpful

ThoughtWorker

Thanks for your review. We're glad you enjoyed the learning opportunities, inclusivity and diversity, and the great work life balance we have at ThoughtWorks! We're sorry that this is your perception of our culture. We don't see it that way. We truly hope that ThoughtWorkers bring their authentic selves to work, and we believe that diverse perspectives help us to solve complex problems. Thanks again for your review and all the best!

5. 4.0

Flat management and engineering culture

Mar 10, 2021 - Senior Consultant in Singapore
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flat management and engineering culture

Cons

Pros are disappearing gradually as company has profit pressure after being purchased.

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Very positive experience, might not be for everyone.

Feb 2, 2021 - Senior Consultant in Singapore
      Business Outlook

Pros

- A very good place to pick up software development best practices. - Lots of amazing colleagues to work with and learn from - Good support available - Various other activities outside the daily work to be a part of - Self-directed learning; your interests at your pace

Cons

- If you're someone who needs to be told what to do next, this may not be the place for you. - Work life balance really depends on the project you're on, and your time management.

7. 4.0
      Current Employee

Great company culture but depends on the project you're staffed on.

Jan 29, 2021 - Business Analyst in Singapore
      Business Outlook

Pros

Vibrant community, company talks, really cool people, nice pantry, interesting challenges, nice perks, good brand name, international community, company mission, commitment to diversity (not just lip service). In general, probably the most fun tech company you can work for in Singapore.

Cons

Too many govt projects, unclear career progression, business functions a little unclear, compensation not competitive (no bonus), some projects a lot more stressful than others, big difference in capabilities within the same grade/level.

4 people found this review helpful
    8. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Good and friendly environment

Jan 9, 2021 - Software Consultant in Singapore
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flat hierarchy Friendly and open culture that is open to help Good software engineering practices

Cons

Compensation could have been better

9. 5.0
      Current Employee

Great place to learn & grow

Jan 6, 2021 - Senior Consultant
      Business Outlook

Pros

Professionalism and team. Multiple projects to work on

Cons

It's a service company- dealing with unhappy clients.

Be the first to find this review helpful

ThoughtWorker

Thank you for your review. As you mentioned, since we're a consultancy, the work we do with clients will vary however we aim to be an awesome partner for our clients and build the best solutions possible. We hope you're enjoying your time here with us. Thanks again!

10. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Good Culture But More Required

Dec 23, 2020 - Consultant in Singapore
      Business Outlook

Pros

1. Unlike other IT consultancies out there, consultants in TW really pay attention to software quality, devops automation and good coding practices. This is a good place to learn these skills. 2. There are many project sharing sessions, books clubs event etc. 3. No jerks policy - Many TW-ers you will meet are very friendly and jerks usually do not last long in TW. The management takes care of employees even during Covid-19 by sending snacks and hand-written cards.

Cons

1. Echoing what the previous reviews mentioned, there are limited trainings available in TW SEA. To add more details, most of the trainings in SEA are tapping onto programmes conducted by other TW offices or conducted by consultants who happen to be free. In SEA, there are also only 2-3 training licenses (e.g. PluralSight) being shared and rotated among hundreds of consultants and you can only keep one license for 3 months which is hardly enough. The personal training budget is also insufficient. 2. There are usually gaps between what was promised pre-hire and after hire. Have spoken to many new folks who are interested and expecting to do frontend or analytics from their interviews conversations but were all staffed to be full stack engineers. This might be because interviews, staffing and actual projects are handled by different people who are not aligned. 3. Attrition is high. Experienced consultants usually leave after a year or two, usually for higher compensation or job scopes better aligned with their own career interests. At the same time, there are many fresh graduates being hired. While I agree we can train fresh grads to be good developers, it will take time. We need to retain more experienced and talented individuals in TW first. This trend of TW SEA becoming bottom-heavy in terms of experience is getting worrisome for slips in capabilities and quality.

5 people found this review helpful