TransferWise Reviews | Glassdoor.sg

4.6
TransferWise CEO Kristo Käärman
Kristo Käärman
Pros
Cons
  • "autonomous teams can be frustrating(in 22 reviews)

• "Cross-team efforts are not so easy to coordinate as all teams are autonomous(in 7 reviews)

1. "Mission driven company with amazing culture"

Current Employee - Full Stack Engineer in Singapore

I have been working at TransferWise full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Mission is very clear and is well shared among the employees - Culture is amazing (transparent, no politics, learning)

Cons

- Organization is still not that structured (which affects collaboration / communication with other teams)

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

TransferWise2019-09-25

"I wish TransferWise can take a hard look at its problems instead of promoting fake reviews"

Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at TransferWise full-time for less than a year

Pros

People are nice, and some engineers are very good.

Cons

TransferWise sings a very pretty song about culture but does not follow through on it. Lots of micromanagement coming from team leads making mandates left and right and team leads apply company culture only when it suits them. TransferWise promotes fake Glassdoor reviews. 5 pages of 5 star reviews from one team at one location in one day. Using peer pressure to get low paid customer support agents who are... already afraid of losing their jobs to give 5 star reviews is NOT cool!

Advice to Management

You need to stop promoting people just because they have been around long enough. And you need to seriously start hiring leads from outside.

TransferWise2019-10-06

October 14, 2019Chief People Officer

Hi, thank you for sharing your feedback and flagging your concerns, it sounds like you’ve been having a pretty rough time of it. I’m really sad to hear that. It’s my job to make sure our teams are happy here and I really care about getting that right. I hope you feel comfortable to make yourself known so we can find some time to sit down and talk about the issues you raised face to face. Whether it’s with me, your lead or, if you haven’t met her, Mallory Taulbee from my team who works closely with engineering. We’d really like to hear more and see what we can do to improve things for you. Thanks, Ross

3. "Amazing culture and colleagues"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Singapore

I have been working at TransferWise full-time for less than a year

Pros

The people here are the friendliest and willing to help you out. Everyone takes their responsibility seriously and shows great initiative. Feedback is encouraged -received and given. Having the autonomy to work on projects can be empowering.

Cons

None I can think of

TransferWise2019-06-24

"Full stack engineer"

Current Employee - Full Stack Software Engineer in Singapore

I have been working at TransferWise full-time for less than a year

Pros

Extremely friendly people, the office team is the best I have ever seen (so many fun things are organised, delicious Friday buffet), the satisfaction of making a contribution in people's lives by helping them save money (compared to banks)

Cons

The company has recently digressed a lot from its core values. It is no longer a "revolution" because there are so many companies who are doing the exact same things and they do it better. There is no sense of urgency of "getting things done" - people are focussed on turf wars, there is lots of politics going on with respect to ownership, the oldies in the company seem to think they are the powerful authorities,... forming cliques amongst them - backing each other, giving promotions to their countrymen, not listening to criticisms, but overly eager to project the negative effects (arising from their behaviour) on the other members of their teams. We no longer keep customers first - we regularly increase prices to get more profit margins for the investors (but blame the increasing costs of employee salaries, which are way below market standards), we no longer are transparent to the customers, we are regressing on the speed of transfers the last few months, the product is unusable, the tech stack is unstable - but the product managers don't seem to care about them. "No drama, good karma" - literally the opposite happens. There are ego problems with the oldies and leads, they can't take negative feedback and escalate to their leads if you tell them about these, code reviews will get blocked because it is not written as per the other person's whims, leads and product managers regularly do catch-ups as part of their day jobs, but nothing concrete ever comes that improves the product for the customers or the employees' careers, leads getting away by doing only easy tasks and literally exploiting the travel and remote opportunities to the maximum for themselves. There is no autonomy anymore - please don't get fooled by the blog posts, the company is growing big and it is the leads who will be the managers and have literally unlimited control and zero accountability.

Advice to Management

At the grassroots level, there are serious problems with a few older employees (by tenure) literally taking the company culture downhill. There is also nepotism with the same countrymen promoting each other. Please do anonymous feedback and have someone outside of the Singapore office go through the feedback and take action.

TransferWise2019-06-11

June 24, 2019Marketing Manager

Thank you for your time to share your current experience at TransferWise. Feedback is really important to us and we encourage people to take an active role in shaping and preserving our culture so we can stay focused on the mission and stay true to our values. We are concerned about some of the details mentioned here and to our knowledge, these have not been raised to our people or through one of our many feedback channels/options to date. As you will have seen, Mihkel (one of our Engineering Managers outside of tribe) has made himself available to look into this feedback so I would encourage you to reach out to him to discuss further. We hope you follow up. Thanks, Kate

"Bad culture with ranking attitude from some of the co-workers"

Former Employee - Operations in Singapore
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at TransferWise full-time for less than a year

Pros

Many nice people to start off! There is a lot of opportunities to take on new roles or sub-roles within what you already do. Very flexible with working hours and where you want to work from (i.e Home, office). The team welcomes you with open arms and have a very inclusive team lunch, bonding sessions etc Remuneration is also better than expected.

Cons

Company politics develops as soon as you get through the door. Culture is that everyone should be on a level playing field and if you try to do better than someone who has been there longer than you, complaints come up. People team is very harsh with probation periods and even if you're a better working employee that shows pro-activeness, but you seem to be different from the culture they want to portray, they... don't take a second look at you and will let you go in a heartbeat! The company prefers everyone to be aligned with their culture than a good worker. 4 of their core values are utter rubbish and no one adheres to that!

Advice to Management

Look at people who are able to do a good job and show how well they have been working and collaborating. Pro-activeness and a moral obligation to get the job done is way more important than adhering to company culture. Don't let employees go just because mistakes have been made. Crackdown on long term employees that seem to think this company is a military organisation where it seems a higher rank gets the last... say. Stay true to your autonomous attitude as you proclaim in your job advertisements.

TransferWise2019-04-20

April 30, 2019Marketing Manager

Thank you for your time to review your experience at TransferWise. I was disappointed to read your experience as detailed in the Cons section and if you are open to it, would like to invite you to have a further conversation about this. Feedback is important to us and we encourage people to take an active role in shaping and preserving our culture so we can stay focused on the mission and stay true to our values. I am sorry to hear you do not feel that way about your time with us. On occasions where we do part ways with employees, this decision is not taken lightly and not without open and considered conversation with an employee, often over a period of time. We are clear that if an employee is struggling or their contribution has dropped their Lead will be open in their feedback. Always, the first priority is to understand the reasons and work together to build a plan to overcome any blockers. Where extra support is needed the People Team are there to help. Sometimes we have to make tough decisions and we aim to be honest and respectful in this. If you have any specific feedback about your experience with us and the teams you refer to, I would encourage you to get in touch and I will be happy to speak with you about this. Thanks, Kate (If you'd like to get in touch with Kate please send an email to employerbrand@transferwise.com and we'll connect you)

"Good place to work for 1 or 2 years."

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Singapore

I worked at TransferWise full-time for more than a year

Pros

TransferWise has really cool working culture. The people here are nice, willing to help you out. Each and everyone takes initiative and their responsibility seriously: 1. No blaming: Whenever you make a mistake, accept it, fix it then tell everyone your lesson. No one is gonna blame you for that. 2. Absolutely no politics: You dont exactly have a boss, more like a mentor/guide/leader and normally they act like... your friend. 3. Great learning curve: The company has a startup culture, most people has to do lots of stuff on the ground, this opens opportunities to learn. 4. Direct feedback on your performance from your co-workers: Every quarter/half a year, you will get feedbacks from people you have worked with about what you have done and what need to be done. 5. Free trip to Estonia every year for company event, where all employees gather and party, have fun for 3 days.

Cons

1. Compensation is only acceptable 2. Learning curve stales after the first year, not much else to do, work becomes chores 3. The company is growing too fast, new comers and people keeps moving between department makes it hard to have a stable team. 4. People have to define their own career path since the company is not so clear on this.

Advice to Management

1. Catch up with market compensation. 2. Give clear career path.

TransferWise2019-04-15
  7. "Operations"

I have been working at TransferWise full-time

Pros

A lot of challenges, friendly people and company with mission.

Cons

It can be quite hectic, so definitely not for people who always want to have everything written down in a procedure or have specific guidelines.

TransferWise2019-02-26
  8. "Interesting people, interesting environment, interesting work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Singapore

I have been working at TransferWise full-time

Pros

Things are really getting heated up in the APAC region, on ops side there's a lot to do and also a lot of ongoing developments for those who have the capacity and curiosity to dig deeper and contribute ideas. I think it's a good time to join the revolution in 2019 just because of the pace of the company now.

Cons

You need to really know that you enjoy ops work, come with an open mind and share extensively! We are not a start up anymore - 1500+ people.... there are some things we need to do to grow proportionately, not quite the small start up and not quite the big MNC. It's up to you to figure if you'll be a good fit too

TransferWise2019-02-20
  9. "Love the Culture"

Current Employee - People Operations in Singapore

I have been working at TransferWise full-time for less than a year

Pros

Things move very fast here, constant learning, being given chances and trust to involve/deliver in projects

Cons

Information overloaded at times, otherwise is good

TransferWise2019-02-19
  10. "Best work place"

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Singapore

I have been working at TransferWise full-time for less than a year

Pros

- there is no micro managing - it's easy to give feedback to the team leads - free food - amazing staff benefits

Cons

- sometimes people don't know how to give a proper feedback - a lot to learn - need some time to get used to

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!!

TransferWise2019-02-18