Visa Inc. Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated 30 Jun 2020

3.8
Visa Inc. CEO Alfred F. Kelly, Jr.
Alfred F. Kelly, Jr.
Pros
Cons
  • "Too many silos; no work/life balance; does not really understand how to solve customer business challenges(in 131 reviews)

• "Senior Management only seem to care about people who are all talk and no play(in 122 reviews)

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great benefits, warm people"

5.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Visa Inc. full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

One of the best experiences in a lifetime. People are diversified and open-minded. Many activities to maintain work-life balance

Cons

nothing I didn't like in the company

2. COVID-19

"Great company overall, but your experience varies with department and manager"

I have been working at Visa Inc. full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Probably one of the most people-focused organisations you will work for. Our CEO Al Kelly's focus on developing and growing people is very closely reflected by the HR here. In most companies the where HR are mostly taking instructions, being passive, and doing employee administration, the HR folks in Visa are pretty active in their outreach, surveys, running trainings etc. Having interacted with HR folks from executive to VP levels, they actively think of policies and programs to improve the work experience for employees. It is also pretty diverse in the way they hire people, though certain ethnicity clearly outnumber the rest. If you're learning different languages it's a great way to practice, be it spanish, mandarin, korean, hindi - you're bound to find someone who's a native speaker! IT services(not to be confused with IT infrastructure) are pretty efficient and responsive, they also solve the problem almost all the time. Lastly, you'll benefit from one of the best corporate branding around town, having Visa on your namecard or resume drastically improves your chances of success!

Cons

First to preface, I've worked in a few offices and your experience will likely differ depending on your department and direct manager. The level of ideals in People really start to diminish very fast once it gets to the ground where most of the work is being done. The team-leads here will parrot what leadership says and have obligatory one-off meetings after results of a survey are not as flattering(ie dismal). people managers also tend to put more energy into managing upwards to their higher reports. work-life balance my department has none of that, both the business folks and the tech people work like mad. They appear to knock off at 6 or 7 but they are really just taking their work home. I've had several days where i worked into the wee hours of the morning, slept a few hours and dragged myself back to the workdesk. Some of it is due to how in demand we are to our clients, some of it is due to slow(and expensive!) IT infrastructure, all of it avoidable if some frameworks for resource planning were given. During Covid 19 lock downs, my department slashed to zero all vendor fees but the work that needs to be done remained, the workload practically quadrupled the next week! I was pretty sure if the virus didn't get me the workload here would've. Salaries, compensation, promotions etc The starting salary is above the market average, if you're in tech Visa won't be paying you what FAANG companies do, but it is decent. The rank you come in would likely remain there with annual increments, unless you've hovered there for some time, like 5-6 years or so. Promotions are pretty much the only way to properly bump your pay(alternative being to change employer), and visibility and relationships with your direct manager and HOD plays somewhat too much a role in who gets promoted. While Visa is a global company it is still very much a Western one in culture that espouses interaction. If you're one of those quiet ones it's quite easy to get passed over for years at a time even though the work is consistently good and reliable. On the flip side, for someone who has been ear marked as a "talent" it is pretty obvious, they would get projects with visibility opportunities and help to make sure a promotion comes through the next year. Tech and tools The servers they use to run data analysis is hugely massive but somehow manages to also be excruciatingly slow. We've lost deals and missed targets simply because the work couldn't be processed by the servers fast enough. The focus is so much on reliability engineering but the enduser experience is dismal 9 out of 10 days. There's a lot of avoidable work overtime if this aspect can be addressed.

3. COVID-19

"Great Working Experience"

4.0
    Current Contractor - Senior Systems Analyst in Singapore
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Visa Inc. for more than a year

Pros

Work-life balance Good compensation takes care of permanent employees

Cons

Due to covid19, they have started freeze hiring and layoffs

4. "Collaboration first"

Former Employee - Senior Director in Singapore

I worked at Visa Inc. full-time

Pros

Focus on work life balance

Cons

Need to make effort to collaborate

"Very bad company to do tech"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I worked at Visa Inc. full-time for more than a year

Pros

The work life balance is very good, to the extend of slacking even. Compensation is ok, not competitive but ok.

Cons

- Obsolete technology with very bad engineering practice. Narrow tech-stack. - Very slow paced. Lots of back-and-forth lasting months if not years. - segregated, controlled access. My advice to aspiring engineers, this is not the place for you. When you should be running, all you will learn here is how to crawl.

April 27, 2020The Visa Team

Happy to see there were many good things you experienced at Visa – including work/life balance, which really matters! It’s important that we compensate employees for their hard work through a variety of mediums, and we are constantly evaluating benefits and compensation to make sure we are aggressive and competitive. We also want employees to feel empowered to make the right decisions to do your best work. In order to keep up with the rapid pace of innovation and growth within our industry, we must be agile and we’re committed to fostering an environment that supports it.

6. "Bad company for young people"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Singapore

I worked at Visa Inc. full-time

Pros

Great work life balance here

Cons

Politics, favoritism, mediocre management, no career growth

March 30, 2020The Visa Team

Thank you for sharing your experience. Please know that each employee is greatly valued. A key role of the HR business partner is to support you and your team. We encourage you to raise your concerns with your former contact so that they can be heard.

"Pathetic Managers, Great WLB"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Singapore

I worked at Visa Inc. full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good work life balance, global brand, competitive salary

Cons

Terrible managers, too hierarchical, obsolete technologies, slow paced

March 30, 2020The Visa Team

"Good company with huge potential to grow"

Senior Software Engineer in Singapore

I have been working at Visa Inc.

Pros

Competitive salary and very good perks way above market standards. Excellent work life balance. Huge company with almost all the skillsets and technologies that you want to work on. They are working hard at the top level to be in the competitive market and continuously working to work on some cool products based on changing consumer market.

Cons

Management level politics. Especially with Indian managers at the top position. The positions are filled with preferential candidate even before they are open to other internal candidates/ general public for a competition. If the funds allocated to to each team could be used in a better way would be more benifitial. Its difficult to get to next level, as there goes a lot of politics and favouritism behind promotions as well and even though the company has a good policy to support internal mobility, the hiring managers know how to exploit that option and in the end it turns out to be a tool exploited by hiring manager to get someone they like.

March 5, 2020The Visa Team

Glad you’re enjoying work life balance – that’s important! We appreciate your helpful feedback. At Visa, leadership wants employees to feel empowered to make the right decisions and do their best work. In order to keep up with the rapid pace of innovation and growth within our industry, we must be agile and we’re committed to fostering an environment that supports it.

9. "Lead software delivery engineer"

5.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Singapore

I have been working at Visa Inc. full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Carrier growth, benefits, work life balance

Cons

Nothing as such for now

December 18, 2019The Visa Team

Glad to see you are enjoying Visa's people and culture. Thank you for taking the time to leave a review.

10. ".Net Developer"

4.0
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Singapore

I worked at Visa Inc. for more than a year

Pros

work life balance is excellent

Cons

As per me nothing major

Found 545 reviews