Whitbread Employee Reviews about "head office"

Updated 20 Jun 2019

3.3
Whitbread Chief Executive Officer Alison Brittain
Alison Brittain
Pros
  • "good working environment, great people to work with(in 22 reviews)

• "If you want to work with nice people in a known name it can give you that(in 20 reviews)

Cons

Reviews about "head office"

Return to all Reviews

"Stop blaming Brexit for this mess and cut the waste!"

I have been working at Whitbread full-time

Pros

Not bad facilities and some alright people. But too many lack knowledge or experience to do the job.

Cons

Lacks basic common sense, blaming Brexit and anyone or anything they can think of for this mess. This is the most wasteful company pouring money into head office spend and leaving nothing for the hotels and guests. It’s just maddening and very few speak up because the culture is just saying yes all the time. There are people here on a gravy train, it’s a fat cat culture. I’ve never seen it in this industry. Normally there is pride in frugality and a recognition that there isn’t money for luxurious head offices and loads of corporate titles and projects. There are fewer people who just get on with it.

Whitbread2019-06-20

November 13, 2019Digital Content Manager

Thank you for taking the time to post a review, as a company we are always looking to improve to give our people the best possible experience when growing their career with us. We’ve thrived for 277 years by listening to our people and building the business around them. However, without critical information, we aren't able to offer comment or investigate further. Please email glassdoorreviews@whitbread.com and we can continue the conversation.

2. "Getting fed up in digital"

in London, England

I have been working at Whitbread

Pros

Spending the day with people you like in an agile set up. Everyone wants to do a good job. There are people who’ve joined recently that really want to make a positive difference and solve the problems we’ve faced which is refreshing, I’m just not that sure they can. I know people make a few jokes but Premier Inn do have some good hotels.

Cons

Constantly changing priorities and a lot of work that you don’t believe in. It’s tiring to invest effort in something then have it dropped at the last minute because other priorities have come in out of nowhere. The head office doesn’t understand digital and think it’s the same as their hotel business, instead of letting us really deliver what we are capable of. Whilst it’s really great new people are coming in, hitting the ground running and really offering help and encouragement, from what has gone on in the past people have found they can’t change things, get frustrated and either leave or give up. There haven’t been many perms in senior positions so it would be nice to actually have some stability.

Whitbread2019-02-19
  3. "Company review"

I have been working at Whitbread full-time

Pros

- Flexible working - Friendly atmosphere

Cons

- no structured career development paths - head office location (very difficult to reach via public transport) - not very international

Whitbread2019-02-12
  4. "Think their better than they are"

Former Employee - General Manager in Coventry, England

I worked at Whitbread full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Pay was good if you prepared to sacrifice your entire life

Cons

Head Office Idiots Lack of imagination

Whitbread2019-01-14

November 14, 2019Digital Content Manager

Thank you for taking the time to post a review, however, without critical information, we aren't able to offer comment or investigate further. We’ve thrived for 277 years by listening to our people and building the business around them so please email glassdoorreviews@whitbread.com and give us the best opportunity to use your insight for more.

"Reception"

Current Employee - Receptionist in Manchester, England

I have been working at Whitbread full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Have a Job nothing else,

Cons

Senior Management - Head Office Hard working people, the are just numbers and nothing . No budget for nothing no breaks, only virtual breaks because head office doing give any extra budged for it. Now dual site management. Profit front of everything else

Whitbread2018-10-01
  6. "Lack of progression oportunities"

4.0
    Current Employee - Manager in London, England

I have been working at Whitbread full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

6 years working for Whitbread and always proud to say I'm part of Whitbread's family until now. Great incentives to work for but unrealistic targets as it's not achievable for everybody.

Cons

Unrealistic targets, high volume business have the same expectations from small businesses. Lack of opportunities for senior roles as its not advertise and open for everybody to apply for. We see people not performing in their roles and progress to bigger roles just because they know the right people. It's not what you do but who do you know. Senior management very distant from businesses away from head office area.

Whitbread2018-07-27

August 29, 2018Digital Content Manager

Thanks for taking the time to write this review. It's great to hear of the pride you feel and I hope the 6 years are just the start. The hospitality industry can be incredibly demanding, with stretching targets and sometimes long shifts. We know this and work very hard to take care of our team members, constantly improving the way we do things and ensuring we create a great working environment. We have a strong belief in our people and their ability to be successful in their roles. We also have robust processes to offer development and support throughout their time with us. We hope you continue to enjoy, and be successful, in your career with us!

7. "Great company"

5.0

I have been working at Whitbread full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I have been working for Whitbread for over 5 years, starting out in operations for Whitbread restaurants and recently moving into a support centre role. I have always felt supported by my line managers and the company as a whole when it comes to progression and career development. Whitbread creates a positive environment on all levels and encourages the progress of people and I hope I am with them for at least another 5 years! Enjoy the company discounts within restaurants, premier inn and Costa.

Cons

The parking spaces at their head office but this will soon be improved once the works are complete.

Whitbread2018-06-06

June 18, 2018

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. It's great to hear that you enjoyed your time with Whitbread – it sounds like you were able to develop within our business which we love to hear. We offer many learning and development courses to assist in career progression and really believe in nurturing our people in their career development. Looking forward to the next five years! (P.S. - the car park extension will be completed in August giving us more spaces at our Support Centre!)

"Bad managers"

Former Employee - Front of House Team Member
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Whitbread part-time for more than a year

Pros

Company benefits aren't bad really

Cons

They employ general managers with zero people skills. I know of at least 6 grievences (including mine) that have been reported to head office and NOTHING gets done. The managers are bullys, do not care about their staff, and more interested in money. Rotas get changed at the last minute. Some people even did pathetic 2 or 3 hour shifts. After talking to people from other sites in the region sounds like all the managers are the same!

Whitbread2017-12-11

"A company that has lost its way"

2.0

I have been working at Whitbread full-time

Pros

Good opportunities to get on with your career if you want it

Cons

Whitbread WAS a company with a great culture, however this has slowly been eroded over the years. The Whitbread of today is very much a cost cutting machine, with little to no compassion with how this impacts their people, both in head office and the sites. Given that they're based in Luton, I would advise anyone wanted to work for Whitbread to think long and hard.

Whitbread2017-04-11

"Best boss, bad company"

2.0
    Duty Manager in Bedford, England

I worked at Whitbread

Pros

The General manager was amazing. Whitbread discounts ranging from cinema, clothes, health care, technology, beds, holidays, airlines ect. 25% friends and family for Costa, premier Inn or any of whitbread brands

Cons

Over worked, long hours, lack of social life - head office is shambles, no clear communication, no real direction, lack of investment in people and business, like to cut budgets and hours. Being left behind in terms of technology and new initiatives, like to be a jack of all trades but master of none. Head office are insulting and expect better treatment than actual guests without often paying or leaving a tip. Head office parties are amazing whilst sites get £10 a head. There is a disproportionate amount of favouritism between sites and head office and a considerable lack of appreciation from the company.

Whitbread2017-04-05

November 8, 2017Resourcing Partner

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review and we're really sorry to hear that you don't recommend working at Beefeater. We understand that the hospitality industry can be incredibly demanding and a tough industry to work within, both in terms of targets and work life balance. With this in mind we work very hard to take care of our team members, constantly improving the way we do things and ensuring we create a great working environment whilst offering excellent incentives, company benefits and career progression opportunities. Across the business between operations and support centre we have a level of service in place to offer full support and engagement across the two areas. We wish you all the best in your future career.

Found 21 reviews