World Wide Technology Reviews | Glassdoor.sg

Found 879 reviews

4.0
World Wide Technology CEO Jim Kavanaugh
Jim Kavanaugh
Pros
  • "WWT has great people who work hard but also are fun to be around(in 176 reviews)

• "Consistent messaging around leadership and Core Values(in 84 reviews)

Cons
  • "It is seeming to get a little bit better as of late but it is visible on the floor that not everyone is a fit for WWT(in 104 reviews)

• "Everyone really lived the core values(in 39 reviews)

"Good not Great"

Current Employee - Sales
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at World Wide Technology full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

- Healthcare benefits are incredibly cheap. Onsite Health Clinics at St. Louis Location. Mental health applications as well as on-site consultants. - Some positions allow for flex-schedules and work from home opportunities - Top level executives truly do believe and mean what they say - I believe they are actually genuine in their goals, and their vision of a great place to work with a great culture - but... unfortunately much like the "telephone game" the messaging is lost as its passed down through middle management. The company is getting too big and the impact the executives once had on culture is dwindling due to rapid growth. Town halls and questionnaires are great for connecting with the executives, but the impact has little lasting effects when the middle management, who leads the day to day operations and don't exhibit the same culture (they talk about the culture a lot, but living it is different) People do fall in love with the executive leadership. Jim and Dave have great humble personalities. Even middle management loves the messaging....its just harder to get middle management to act on the message. - Hackathon/Innovation projects are projects where employees are encouraged to develop a new product/process/initiative. These are pretty neat and employees are encouraged to join and even allocated business hours to work on these. - Day of Caring - WWT gives a day for employees each year to give back to the community - whether in a group or on your own - to volunteer for the cause of your own personal choosing. This does not impact your PTO and you can take this day at any point throughout the year. - Wellness Screening Bonus PTO - every year WWT offers a "wellness screening" in which you can volunteer to have your blood tested for high cholesterol, glucose, etc etc and not only do they do this for the good of your own health, but you get an additional PTO day for anyone who has completed this screening as part of WWT's health awareness initiatives. - The core values are truly fantastic. Whether or not they are executed on by every employee could be disputed, however the foundation and backbone of "THE PATH" (Trust, Humility, Embrace Change, Passion, (Positive) Attitude, Team Player, Honestyand Integrity) is a great moral compass to lean on.

Cons

- WWT says a lot of good things. We say we are a great place to work. We talk about good leaders. We say "no bad managers." We say "open door policy"....we are really great at talking. Not so good at doing and acting on these words. We drink a lot of Kool Aid and have become to lose the meaning of our words, unfortunately. After 13 years with this company it really has changed. The messaging is still positive and... consistent from corporate and they have truly great goals and visions, but unfortunately its a lot of talk....the bad managers run rampant, the perks are becoming fewer and far between with budget constraints. GHQ seems to offer much more benefits (tickets to race events at a local St. Louis racetrack, concert tickets at times) but the satellite offices are left in the dark and many are left wondering (whats so great about WWT compared to any other company?) - Most of the current focus has been on the warehouse side of things, but WWT has been continuously slipping in all areas of the business. In sales, engineering, etc. Part of this is due to growing pains, but many things are simply due to lack of training in some instances and wrong seat on the bus in others. If you check Fortune's Great Places to Work list (which WWT greatly prides itself on) you will notice that they have consistently fallen on that list year over year. - There are a couple regional sales managers that are very rude and arrogant to internal teams (sales ops, labs, SRC, etc) in order to get what they want. Top level management is aware, but conditions have not changed. This bad attitude then seeps into the account level sales teams and poor attitudes become the norm. - Other regional sales managers are very highly qualified sales reps, but they lack the skills to manage a team. They were promoted due to their success with their customers - but this does not translate into being an effective manager/leader. - WWT tends to grease the squeakiest wheels. The employees (especially sales reps) that whine and complain the most, cut the lines, break process, and steamroll over others tend to get what they want the fastest, while humble, rule following, culture abiding reps get pushed aside in lieu of pacifying the non-culture fit. -Training is continuously lacking. We blame "fast growth" on lack of in-depth training new hires, but when "Growth Company" is a literal corporate goal - are we actually expecting business to slow down enough to properly train someone? The answer is we won't and we don't. We're obsessed with growing so rapidly that the bubble will eventually burst, we will lose many good tenured employees (check last month's termination report - a dozen 6-10+ year employees jumped ship) and eventually WWT will become a hollow shell because the best folks will no longer tolerate the atmosphere. - WWT has been saying "we are experiencing growing pains" for the last 5+ years. Its an excuse for "hey thats the norm around here." They've put different initiatives in place (Business Process Improvement, BPI) and others, but many of them have taken years to roll out and the end results for those processes that have rolled out see minimal performance improvement gains. WWT is trying but employees aren't feeling the weight lifted off their shoulders - Still a constant struggle for tenured employees to get appropriate raises from the inside. If you want a solid increase, the common joke is that you have to leave the company and come back - which is something many employees have done. WWT is much more focused on hiring people from Cisco, Dell, NetApp, DiData/NTT, Insight, etc than growing ISRs and internal folks who actually know WWT's inner workings - Its extremely hard for an ISR or Ops person to make the transition into outside sales. A few have done it through the Federal/GSP space, but its difficult unless you're the son/daughter of an executive (nepotism is popular at world wide....however many of the relatives are very hard working people and nepotism isn't innately a bad thing, but in certain instances special roles/exceptions have been created for family that otherwise wouldn't have been created at all). - WWT is popular for what I'd call the "delayed compensation promotion" in which you are promoted to a new role and you are given the new title, tasks/responsibilities, etc - but told you will not have your pay adjusted until the first of the year. For instance was once promoted to a team lead in March and was told that an appropriate increase for my responsibilities would come in January the following year due to budgets and it would be "too hard" for finance to adjust pay mid-year. This has been a common theme for many employees - HR/Finance should make it easier for managers to give mid-year raises if they are merited. The replies on Open Door and Glass Door to this one continuously say that "we pay accordingly and promotions should come with a raise" but that doesn't happen in practice. Even in lateral role changes where a raise might not be "expected" HR needs to realize that managers are telling employees that they will get a large bump, but it won't come until the next year because they can't get funding for it - but that role change comes with more responsibilities (hence managers saying an increase will come). So regardless of if its a lateral move or a promotion - employees are being told by managers that they aren't allowed to increase pay or have been told its too difficult to increase pay until the budgets are set the next year. This isn't a one manager thing either. Three different managers have said the same thing - so hopefully this bullet isn't glossed over with a "well a promotion should come with a raise" or "if it was a lateral move that doesn't come with a raise" - when managers are saying that the raise simply can't be approved until the next year.

Advice to Management

WWT is a decent company, but its hard to call it great at the moment. Internally, greatness is put on a pedestal. Unfortunately we can't remain great just by saying we are. We have to actually show it and prove it, which is easier said than done. With so many new tech companies "innovating" (popular buzzword at WWT) and changing the game - we no longer are any more "great" than our competitors and partners. If... you check the top lists, many of our competitors and partners now rank with or above us on GPTW type lists. We are hiring people from those organizations and they a few have expressed confusion as to whats better about WWT (not that its a worse place...but its not understanding what is better). Especially with such a GHQ-centric culture - satellite offices are not getting this amazing experience that HQ-ers have. Don't stop trying to move forward, but understand that we have some very tough competition out there and while we may think we're great - we aren't the only ones. It pains me to give a neutral Job performance to the CEO Jim Kavanaugh. I believe he absolutely deserves a thumbs up for his passion and his great demeanor and positive outlook, but if his message isn't effective and being heard by his middle management, then something isn't working within the leadership style. Jim is absolutely respected by the majority of employees and peers, but effective leadership needs to resonate throughout the mid-levels of the organization and there are some gaps right now. I have no doubt that Jim and the executive team will turn things around (and I know he's spending a lot of time in front of field teams), but somehow we have to find a way for the culture to actually stick with mid level management and get them start acting on the words they say and unfortunately that weighs on the current ranking. Hoping to see some positive changes and a different mindset at this time next year - but unfortunately don't see things changing in the next 6 months as there is just too much to work on at the moment.

World Wide Technology2019-09-10

September 12, 2019Sr. Director of Human Resources

Thank you for this very thoughtful, balanced, and constructive feedback. I can assure you it's being shared. Thank you for 13 plus years with us. I hope you will notice some improvements soon. Thanks again and good luck.

"Great company, but salaries in Global Order Ops need to increase"

Current Employee - Procurement
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at World Wide Technology full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits, flexibility, team environment

Cons

Pay is not competitive for supply chain or procurement

Advice to Management

Keep the awesome workers you have by paying more competitively, and giving raises to those who deserve one. Salaries in the GOO department are relatively low for the hard work that is done; especially with cost of living on the rise in STL, it’s difficult to save any money with the entry level pay WWT offers. The health insurance is a great incentive, but still does not make up for the lower pay. I understand GOO... is not the Sales team, but we work equally as hard.

World Wide Technology2019-08-14

August 16, 2019Sr. Director of Human Resources

Thank you for this very constructive feedback.

"Poor Daily Support"

Former Employee - Analyst in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at World Wide Technology full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Fun events, like the annual GPTW bash. Managers have discretion to take their teams out. People are friendly.

Cons

If you don't generate revenue for the company (sales), don't bother working here. Don't work in operations. They couldn't care less about people who are in support roles.

Advice to Management

People in operations are people too

World Wide Technology2019-09-13

"Communcation is key"

Current Employee - Warehouse Lead in Edwardsville, IL

I have been working at World Wide Technology full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The Benefits are good and affordable

Cons

Awful communication. Just found out if you work Monday on Labor day you got a 750 dollar bonus. We were told you had to be lift certified but a whole department worked that's not lift certified and gets the bonus. That is a lot of money that people lost because they were told they couldn't work because they weren't lift certified when people that weren't lift certified still got to come in.

Advice to Management

Communication through the whole warehouse would be great. A lot of people missed out on a great opportunity because they were told false information. I never even seen the sign up sheet for the overtime.

World Wide Technology2019-09-04

September 10, 2019Sr. Director of Human Resources

I agree that communication could have been better here. Thanks for the feedback and we’ll continue to do our best to communicate these opportunities in advance.

"Decent Place to Work"

Current Employee - N/A in Edwardsville, IL

I have been working at World Wide Technology full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good insurance, free tickets to raceway, work parties, etc. I used to love coming to work.

Cons

Terrible communication and unfairness. We have been working overtime for months trying to help out with THEIR move. People who worked just one single Monday on Labor Day were given a $750 bonus, while the rest of us who lost our whole summer don't get that. ALSO, they're trying to keep it secretive, but how long would that last in a giant warehouse...? I think we all deserve that bonus.. Crazy.

World Wide Technology2019-09-06

September 10, 2019Sr. Director of Human Resources

Thanks for the feedback.

"Still A Great Place To Work"

Current Employee - Operations in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at World Wide Technology full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A culture where everyone is respected and open communication is encouraged. Best in class benefits and competitive compensation, including bonus program for those doing great work.

Cons

Growing pains as our business continues to get bigger and bigger.

Advice to Management

Has it been challenging for us in the US supply chain lately? Heck yes! Do I expect it to be like this forever? No, I do not. Let's get caught up, move into the new building, and make sure we are not in this position next year. While we're doing this, please stay close to team morale and support those who need it.

World Wide Technology2019-08-27

August 30, 2019Sr. Director of Human Resources

Thank you and yes, there are definitely growing pains. The Supply Chain team has been doing an outstanding job during this very busy summer. You have a great attitude and thanks for sharing this. Good luck!

7. "Nice place to be as a beginner"

Current Employee - Financial Database Credit Analyst in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at World Wide Technology full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Nice place to work, great peaplo

Cons

Low steps to grow and over come obstacle to be in the place that you need to.

Advice to Management

allow emploees to grow more

World Wide Technology2019-08-29

"Was a great place - average now."

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Denver, CO

I worked at World Wide Technology full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great teamwork, great benefits, name recognition. Ability to execute on complex technologies. Jim K is absolutely the key to WWT's success, great CEO.

Cons

Management (President down) will not back you. I left the company when I lost trust in all levels of management. I had been with the company for over eight years, would have stayed forever but managers do not adhere to core values anymore. Hopefully, they can bring them back, but that will be difficult I fear.

Advice to Management

Listen to the reviews on this site, there is a trend going on and not a good one. Remember when WWT received the top rankings in every poll? Ask former employees why they left. Not sure what happened, but I have spoken with numerous former WWTers, and all have said the same thing, not the same place that made WWT a true GPTW. Maybe it is inventible that is what happens with success.

World Wide Technology2019-08-02

August 12, 2019Sr. Director of Human Resources

Thank you and thanks for your 8 years with WWT. I agree we have experienced a lot of change and I think most of it is the result of rapid growth. I still think we're the same company/ culture although we are working very hard to scale with the growth. The Core Values (and the other ...

"Great Company with Great People"

Current Employee - Order Coordinator

I have been working at World Wide Technology full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great Company with Great People to work with. Awesome company culture with amazing benefits.

Cons

none that I can think of

World Wide Technology2019-08-20

August 23, 2019Sr. Director of Human Resources

Thanks!

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Supply Chain

I have been working at World Wide Technology full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great Culture, benefits, work/life balance.

Cons

There are none at this time.

World Wide Technology2019-08-20

August 23, 2019Sr. Director of Human Resources

This is great to hear. Thank you!

Found 879 reviews