Yelp Employee Reviews about "business owners"

Updated Jan 22, 2021

Found 244 of over 3,647 reviews

3.5
Yelp Co-Founder & CEO Jeremy Stoppelman
Jeremy Stoppelman
1,800 Ratings
Pros
  • "Fun culture, free food, good money(in 277 reviews)

• "Amazing culture and great people(in 199 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Uphill battle having to constantly convince business owners that Yelp is not this corrupt monster of a company(in 248 reviews)

• "All cold calls, lots of burnout(in 80 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "business owners"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 3.0

50/50 pros and cons

Jan 19, 2021 - Account Manager in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Very laid back environment, stocked kitchen available to everyone, awesome coworkers

Cons

Sometimes it seemed like Yelp was too busy caring more about the users than the business owners which meant a lot of taxing days of getting yelled at by customers

2. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

The job is what you make it.. to an extent

Jan 19, 2021 - Account Executive in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

-The culture was great(free food in kitchen, benefits, mostly young people, LGBTQ+ friendly, lots of happy hours and team outings) -Opportunities to make money(Compared to other sales job, earning a decent base with the ability to make commission is always nice) -Work life balance(Upper Management respects hard work but doesn't push you to stay late, in fact they encourage people to leave when the work day is done)

Cons

-Cold Calling sales(That's the job.. nothing more, nothing less. No matter how management wants to sugarcoat it, it's a grind) -Territory luck(If your territory is a major urban area where there are simply more yelp users, it will be easier to convince business owners to buy ads. Management will say that no matter where your territory is, you can make 40K in revenue monthly, but that's simply just not true, and they know it too.) -Some nepotism(Managers seem to say who gets what territory is dependent on luck to an extent, but they can choose who gets where. If they simply like/dislike a person, that will dictate who gets what territory. People should be rewarded on a mix of revenue/effort.)

3. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

So complex a lot of good people, terrible job, and some really bad management

Jan 15, 2021 - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

There are a lot of good people who are mainly AES that work at Yelp and genuinely care about you and want to help in any way. It is nice to be in an environment and culture that is more free with no forced suit and tie attached. Below I had to censor names and how I really feel but just know there’s a reason Yelp is so massively disliked and has such high turnover. So many employees past and present are right in their negative feedback for it and if you’ve worked at yelp as only a rep you’ll most likely agree.

Cons

God where do I start? How much time you guys have?! Well the job itself will make you unhappy. Seriously damaging to your self worth getting rejected every day trying to sell a product to a vast majority of clientele that understandably dislikes Yelp. Yelp is has lied of being to business owners with reps who cheat to close. Plenty of top reps get praise from office head directors like but it so fake and circumstantial. Most cheat like a guy who was fired for cheating . Of course plenty of people kissed his behind because he was closing 70k a month but CHEATING.!!! Directors would also use him as an example to stop complaining and close more. Just made her look bad once he was exposed for cheating by another rep and fired. Some managers are good but some are grossly overrated whose own reps have had to pull them into a meeting to tell them they are not managing their own team well. A managers true ability is measured by what their reps think of them. Some managers have the maturity of a toddler and too emotional to manage. They micromanages at best and just takes up space at worst. One manger I knew is very fake nice and talks tons of crap about reps they don’t like. It’s funnier because most of their reps don’t like or respect them at all as a person not even a manager. I’ve witnessed plenty who also are nice to face and I have to censor my language for Glassdoor but lets say are not fond of them behind closed doors. The culture at yelp can also be weird and cult like. They want you feel like it’s the best place in the world to work and you’re lucky to be there but it’s really just a nice crash course in sales. Unless you’re a top rep and I mean booking at least 50k a month consistently then working there is a waste of time past a few years. An old coworker at Yelp best described it as a daycare. The job is just toxic to anyone’s mental health after George Floyd died and covid happens with massive layoff were told to just close and get over it. It’s really a company for immature kids who act like they’re in middle school and people who are trapped in a role they don’t want. Don’t get me wrong some people are great that work there and do great work and enjoy yelp and kudos god bless them. But the vast majority of employees at least 90% are waiting for the day to finally escape. Best of luck to any new people starting at yelp. Give it a year or two before you either want out or are apart of the rare 1% that is a top producer and stays since many top producers move on to better and more professional sales roles.

3 people found this review helpful
    4. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Good foot in the door, depending on manager

Jan 14, 2021 - Inside Sales Representative in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Free food - Energetic office environment - Off-site events and beer on tap every day after work - You are in charge of your own success

Cons

- VERY metrics based... in the eyes of management, even if you are meeting/exceeding your quota, there's always something you could be doing better - Hard sell... you are contacting business owners who have been contacted by Yelp countless times. - Low base pay and no commission during ramp up time - Extremely hard to hit quota, especially in COVID times

1 person found this review helpful

Yelp Response

Thank you for your feedback! We're happy to hear that Yelp was a great place to get your foot in the door and launch your career in sales. The managers at Yelp are devoted to the career growth of each individual here. Sometimes that can look like various one-on-one conversations throughout the day, and setting sales quotas that encourage people to continually improve. While this environment is inspiring for most, we understand that it may not be for everyone. Listening to the concerns of our employees is a crucial step to helping us improve Yelp for everyone, and we're thankful for your help with those efforts.

5. 2.0

Eh

Jan 16, 2021 - Senior Account Executive in Washington, DC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good co workers, good training.. that’s about it

Cons

Product is horrible, micro managed regardless of performance, we get penalized for business owners cancelling a NON COMMITMENT PROGRAM that only works like 20% of the time, no upward mobility, low pay compared to other companies

Yelp Response

Thank you for letting us know how things went during your time at Yelp. We're glad to hear you enjoyed your teammates and found the ongoing training valuable. We're sorry that your time here wasn't the best and that things could have gone much better. While we've made many changes and improvements based on the feedback from our clients and employees, we understand that there is room to grow and learn. Listening to the concerns of our employees is something we will continue to do to make sure we're doing all we can to support our people as best as possible. We're thankful you decided to share your thoughts with us and hope you've found another role that is more closely aligned with your expectations.

6. 1.0

Not worth it

Jan 22, 2021 - Account Executive
      Business Outlook

Pros

Interesting people all from different backgrounds

Cons

Managers are ridiculous and ask too many questions about your personal life if you want to take a sick day Commission is very low Scamming business owners

Yelp Response

Thank you for taking a moment to share your thoughts with us. It's great to hear that you enjoyed working with a diverse group of people at Yelp. This is truly an environment where everyone can bring their unique perspective to the table and be heard! We want to apologize that things didn't exactly go as planned. We encourage Yelp employees to take time off when they need it to rest and recharge. As long as employees have available PTO and are within our policies, they should feel comfortable asking for time off. Additionally, the Sales Development training that’s given to Account Executives during their first few weeks at Yelp teaches employees plenty of new skills. However, questionable work ethics and morals are not included in our sales playbook, nor do we tolerate this behavior at any time. Any additional details as to what happened can be sent to employeefeedback@yelp.com. We're thankful for your time with us, and wish you the best of luck in your next role.

7. 1.0

Trash company

Jan 13, 2021 - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Not a one. Maybe the free granola and what we called 'cancer burritos' available in the kitchen. Essentially kindergarten paste wrapped in a wet paper towel and needed to be doused with sauce to mask the nauseating flavour. Honestly I would have rather eaten my left foot, raw.

Cons

Everything - they will try to liquify your brain and fill it with fanciful ideas of success and capital gain. It's all a ploy, it's all a charade to mask coke problems, infidelity, and deceit. Forcing you to call poor unfortunate business owners day after day until you're comically being screamed at by a sunflower farmer in Lawrence, Kansas who is desperately seeking solace from the Yelp onslaught. Truly nightmarish. This job is ideal for lost souls, the truly cruel, or anyone looking to investigate corporate mind control at its most base.

1 person found this review helpful

Yelp Response

This review is tough to read. Experiences like this are not representative of the environment we work so hard to create for our employees. Every employee deserves to come to work knowing that they will be valued, heard, and appreciated, and we are deeply sorry that this wasn't the case for you. We will pass along your feedback to our leadership team so that we can continue to make Yelp a great place to work. We're thankful for your time with us and wish you the best of luck in the next step of your career.

8. 5.0
      Former Employee

Yelp is what you make it

Nov 24, 2020 - Account Executive in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

It's a good place to see what you really want to do, gives you a backbone in life

Cons

Cold calls, talking to business owners who have never used a phone

9. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Low pay, good training

Nov 12, 2020 - Account Executive in Washington, DC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good sales training and free sandwiches

Cons

Much pressure Business owners are tired of getting three calls a week from Yelp trying to sell them ads.

Yelp Response

Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience with us. We're happy to hear that you enjoyed the Sales Development training during your onboarding. Our management style is very hands-on, and while this may be inspiring to some, we understand others might need a little more flexibility. We encourage you to have an open conversation with your manager about some of the concerns you are having so that we can find ways to support you and make you feel comfortable about your work. We're thankful for your contributions to the team and are so glad that you're here!

10. 1.0

STAY AWAY!!

Nov 12, 2020 - Account Executive in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

They paid you a small salary

Cons

This place is a joke. They are trying way too hard to push a culture. They are scam artists and take advantage of business owners. Managers are young and inexperienced and I am embarrssed to ever have worked here. After one year of working here my class of 50 people was down to about 10...horrible experience

3 people found this review helpful