Yowza Animation Reviews | Glassdoor.sg

3.3
Yowza Animation CEO Heather Walker
Heather Walker

"A bit harsh"

I have been working at Yowza Animation full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Great work environment - Great projects - Small studio (comparatively to a couple of the other local studios), thus giving more of a family-like atmosphere - Great, very approachable boss, who cares about her staff's needs - Great co-workers

Cons

I cannot complain about... well... really anything here. I have read the 5 other reviews on here, and frankly, these reviews are harsh and completely unfair, to call a spade a spade. I have been at Yowza for close to a year now, and have seen the conditions every employee has to work under, and frankly, I think that Yowza treats each and every individual here with respect and dignity. Yes... This is... production, and there are crunch times. Yes, the client on the project in question is a tough client, which accounts for the occasional "stick in the spokes" in terms of deadlines. It happens! In terms of high expectations toward the work - A high level of quality is what Yowza has always been known for, and that will not change, as that is why clients want to work with Yowza. If you are someone is not delivering the adequate level of quality, then I fail to see why that is the fault of Yowza, and therefore a con for working for them. I personally think it is a "PRO" to working for them, as I don't want to work for someone who just produces for the sake of producing. I want to work for "the best". I have worked in a great many studios over the years, and frankly, Yowza Animation is among the best I have ever worked for - hands down. The reviews that I have read appear to come from people who feel a very strong sense of entitlement and frankly, have very little experience to speak of in this industry. Maybe I am wrong. Maybe you have been spoiled prior to being here, which is not always a good thing.

Advice to Management

Don't take the negative opinions expressed on here as the gospel. Haters are going to hate, and there are people who, no matter how happy they are, or how well things are going, are going to complain.

Yowza Animation2017-01-31

"Decent company, could be better!"

I have been working at Yowza Animation

Pros

- Great projects - Good location - Effort put into maintaining an engaging work atmosphere - Effort put into making workplace a safe place

Cons

- Unrealistic deadlines - Lack of communication between departments - Cascading miscommunication - Lack of coherent pipeline, creates constant production bottlenecks at every level - Lack of vertical transparency - Open concept studio can get distracting

Advice to Management

Good company, could be better. Just like any animation studio has its problems and perks. There seems to be a discrepancy between management's expectations and outlook of the project vs. the actual experience of floor-level employees. Good communication is a place to start, and (more importantly) concrete steps taken based on that feedback.

Yowza Animation2017-02-18

"Reality check"

I have been working at Yowza Animation full-time

Pros

Great looking show and decent location.

Cons

The reason I decided to write this review is the infuriating review bashing any criticism and denying that anything is wrong with the company. This was without a doubt written by the management / family and only illustrates their level of delusion. I have worked for many studios over the years and am no stranger to crunch-times, but when crunch-time becomes the norm then it's time for reflection. Considering a... crazy schedule, extreme stress, mandatory unpaid overtime and no time for social life "normal" is very, very, very sad and speaks volumes about the reviewer.

Advice to Management

"A bad boss can take a good staff and destroy it, causing the best employees to flee and the remainder to lose all motivation." The high turnover among your senior staff should be a hint.

Yowza Animation2017-02-09

"Focus on positive workplace"

I have been working at Yowza Animation

Pros

Employer focused and supported, good benefits, amazing space, lots of social activities, screenings, fun environment to game, play pool, ping-pong and hang out. Work is hard, deadlines can be very demanding, like, you know, every animation studio on the planet.

Cons

Incompetent staff/management that takes advantage of leniency by management who give them too many chances to redeem themselves, needed to cut fired way sooner.

Advice to Management

Appreciate the atmosphere and one on one care. Clear toxic employees more quickly.

Yowza Animation2016-11-09

"caution"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I worked at Yowza Animation full-time for less than a year

Pros

PROS - great looking show "Welcome To The Wayne" - good location - great first impression - some good co-workers

Cons

CONS - chaotic work environment - bad work/life balance - high employee turnover - extreme nepotism and favoritism

Yowza Animation2016-10-02

"Needs improvement"

No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Yowza Animation

Pros

Yowza has some cool projects with friendly and talented workmates. Nice location, next to a beautiful park. Also a very cool bike rack.

Cons

Stupidly disorganized.. Even for a new studio. Very chaotic work enviroment, with crazy hours and surprise deadlines. Missing an actual pipeline, communication is severly lacking. Expectations are ambigious and often conflicting.

Advice to Management

Please communicate deadlines and quotas clearly. I shouldn't have to hear on friday that there is a surprise crunch because the work week was mismanaged.

Yowza Animation2016-09-15

"very disorganized"

I have been working at Yowza Animation full-time

Pros

Fun project and some friendly people.

Cons

I should had researched them better before taking the job. Yowza was a well known studio in the Toronto animation industry, but this is a different studio. The original Yowza that worked on the feature films supposedly dissolved a few years ago. Recently Heather Walker acquired the name and opened a new studio. Although the project I work on is a fun, the studio itself is hands down the most disorganized and poorly... managed place I have ever seen. Some departments are barely working while others are in constant crunch mode. It is stressful to say the least.

Advice to Management

Don't put people with zero experience in management positions.

Yowza Animation2016-08-16