Bridgewater Associates Reviews

Updated 17 Sep 2020

Bridgewater Associates CEO David McCormick
David McCormick
Pros
  • "There are a lot of smart people and you get to learn a lot(in 57 reviews)

• "Incredible Benefits (401k, Medical, Free-Food, Transportation, Meditation rooms)(in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • "Potentially poor work life balance(in 30 reviews)

• "Long hours, not a ton of work life/balance particularly if you want to go far, career pathing could use some work, location isn't ideal(in 18 reviews)

1. "Great place to develop leadership skills"

Former Employee - Coordinator in Westport, CT

I worked at Bridgewater Associates full-time for less than a year

Pros

Amazing place to work if you're someone who wants to be constantly learning and developing. BW pushes an idea meritocracy and for my team at least, everyone was encouraged to speak up and be heard. You get thoughtful feedback from intelligent people who truly care about your development and are committed to excellence. If you want to be at a place where you are pushed to be the best version of yourself, BW is a great culture.

Cons

It can be exhausting to always be on and to get honest feedback 24/7. Every day is like a job interview. I didn't mind that, but some people get burnt out quickly. You have to be willing to put emotions aside to work here - you will be given information or feedback without bedside manner and it takes some time to get used to.

Continue reading
  2. "Meaningful work and meaningful relationship"

Current Employee - Investment Associate in Westport, CT

I have been working at Bridgewater Associates full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Incredibly smart team, driven to succeed by investing heavily in the people

Cons

High bar and no excuses

3. "Incredibly stimulating work environment"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Westport, CT

I worked at Bridgewater Associates full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Incredible people - Passion and drive - Exponential personal and professional development

Cons

- Emotional turmoil inter- and intra- personally due to the radical nature of the culture - Company is an insulated "bubble" that's fenced off to the rest of the world (with the exception of the malicious media)

4. "Great company"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant

I worked at Bridgewater Associates full-time

Pros

People and Community are great

Cons

It’s not always a meritocracy

5. "Good"

Current Employee - Data Analyst in Westport, CT

I have been working at Bridgewater Associates full-time

Pros

- smart people - lots of work - good culture

Cons

- monotonous - culture can be intimidating

6. "Don't be scared off by what you hear in the media.."

Former Employee - Technology Lead

I worked at Bridgewater Associates full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The absolute best aspect of my time working at the company was the people. This the largest collection of really bright, really motivated people. It made me a better person to work with them each day.

Cons

Some mis-interpretation of the culture. While the culture is over-blown in the media, there are definitely times where folks - especially newer managers - don't get it and end up implementing it poorly. When they go to give critical feedback it comes off as them being more of a jerk then legitimately trying to help you grow (which is the intention and is generally what happens)

7. "Good job"

5.0

I have been working at Bridgewater Associates full-time for less than a year

Pros

All good no bad review

Cons

No cons go work there

8. "Review"

Former Employee - CSRA

I worked at Bridgewater Associates full-time

Pros

Great company if you can understand the culture

Cons

Some days can have very long hours

9. "Great place if you believe in the culture"

5.0

I have been working at Bridgewater Associates full-time for more than a year

Pros

High focus on achievement Meritocracy seems to be universal High expectations and high opportunity to succeed

Cons

Not for everyone Political activism becoming more pervasive (no concrete evidence that it's hurting the company but it's annoying)

"Smart people - Great Pay - Good training and a lot of other bad things"

2.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westport, CT
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Bridgewater Associates full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pays very good with little or no experience. Great training. A lot of opportunities to bond with colleagues. Most of the people are exceptional in the investment engine. Culture is solid, transparency is real and rewarding. You always know where you stand. So the law of no surprise is strictly adhered to.

Cons

Work is bad, boring, and outdated. For at least for first 3-4 years, the projects are quite bad. You end up losing your skills and forgetting everything you know. The longer you stay, the more irrelevant you become for the rest of the world. That's not really a problem because if you stay longer they keep making you sign stricter and stricter non-compete agreements. They are so secretive and paranoid about everything. It results in junior employees getting no exposure to the investment process. It also restricts freedom and flexibility. It's sad to see some really smart people doing mundane tasks with crappy tools and technologies, wasting time-fighting the bureaucracy and slow-moving tech. The culture makes the place very verbal and argumentative. That means if you're a Chinese Phd student with not very fluent English, you won't be able to argue back to make your point clear and you will be marked as a bad communicator. The place is very white top to bottom. That is very rare these days for math and tech-driven places. (The purpose of this comment is to help you steer away if you don't love arguing. There is no discrimination or preferential treatment. Everyone is treated equally.) Employee turnover is very high. They use culture as an excuse to justify the turnover. But, that mostly comes from an easy interview process with no real testing of skills and only culture testing. For more stats, around 20 people joined on the same day as me and we all went through the same training program. Only 2 still work there. You already know this before you join. But the struggle is real when you're actually fired. Nobody wants to hire ex-Bridgewater people because of the lack of any real useful skills and non-compete problems. You may run into more logistical problems because you moved to Connecticut, visa status, school changes for children, and opportunity cost. I know people who rejected four, five job offers to come here and hate every single day at work.

Found 358 reviews